PDA

View Full Version : Slow at Bodeda...But!!--7-15-05

Mickey_Thomas
07-16-2005, 06:12 AM
Fishing Fri. was slow for Hammer and I and Ron, Jim (Ron's Dad) and Ken (Ron's Brother-In-Law) but I did manage to catch my biggest King to date. ;D I caught a fighting 30 pounder 8) I have to admit I think I've lost 3 or 4 others this size (or bigger) but finally got one in the net. As soon as it hit I knew it was big, it's first run took out 100' of line before it stopped. I cranked the reel twice and the brute took off for another 100' what excitement ;D Probably took 15 minutes to get it close to the boat before it took off a couple of more times in short burst of speed. The whole time Ron and his boat were yelling "pull it in, pull it in" ;D I loved having an audience ;) As I was fighting it Hammer cleared the deck and down riggers because the one I hooked before (Fri.) got off by getting around the down rigger cable (Ron and his boatmates witnessed that one too ::)) I thought I was hooked on King's but now it's worst. Hammer and I did manage catching 4 total but that counts fishing the afternoon on Thurs. The weather report called for winds from 10-20 miles an hour. What can I say, they were wrong ::) If Ron post the pictures I sent him you will see how flat it was, there were some big swells but the water for the most part was very fishable....sure glad I didn't see or read or believe the reports ;D ;D I landed the brute with my Vance's heavy rod too, it's rated for 8-20lb line but did just great with with my 30lb leader with 30lb braided backing. I just have to get another one of these rods ;D

http://www.fishstalker.net/i/FISH%20PG%204/Bogeda_1_1.jpg
http://www.fishstalker.net/t/FISH%20PG%204/Bogeda-4_1.jpg
http://www.fishstalker.net/i/FISH%20PG%204/Bogeda-_3_1.jpg
http://www.fishstalker.net/i/FISH%20PG%204/Bogeda-4_1.jpg
http://www.fishstalker.net/i/FISH%20PG%204/Bogeda-2_1.jpg

Fishbutt21
07-16-2005, 06:18 AM
Great job on the big fish ;D
Can I ask where the hot bite has been the last few days??
Thanks

FISHSTALKER
07-16-2005, 06:35 AM
Mickey - I posted your photos on my site if you want to copy from there. They are on fish page 4. I put the big fish on my front page. It's a good looking fish with some ugly dude. ;D ;D ;D
www.fishstalker.net

Mickey_Thomas
07-16-2005, 06:47 AM
Thanks Dale, I did it ;D ;D I don't know abut the ugly comment ;) I thought I looked pretty good ;D ;D page 4 only had your picture on it, talk about an ugly dude ;D nice trout though ;)

FISHSTALKER
07-16-2005, 07:03 AM
All right .........I went back and saved your photos this time. :-/

nogimmies
07-16-2005, 11:33 AM
I fished yesterday from Tomales Pt south with no bites or hits.
Fished from 100'to 240' zig zaging and doing my same old fish tactics but NADA!!!!
Glad to see someone caught fish yesterday. I thought I heard the radio talk about that 30 lber.
I marked absolutely ZERO bait in all the trolling I did and fished the 200'-230'line most of the morning.
I wonder where in the H --- is all the bait?????
Fished Tomales and scratched there also.
Fished the incoming after catching our bait.
Fished till 3:00 then bagged it.
Also Don't always believe the weather reports!!!!
Yesterday the weather called for 3-5 ft wind chop and by the pictures and my personal experience that report for Bodega was incorrect.
The Afternoon report seemed more accurate 1-3 over a 5 ft swell every 13 seconds-----Perfect Conditions --Also Very cooooool
Saw 1 halibut caught in the bay.
But it wasn't mine--OH well
Thats why they call it fishing.

iwishtobe
07-16-2005, 12:35 PM
sweet fish!

THE_TROUTKING
07-16-2005, 01:10 PM
Hey Mickey you boat looks good with all that blood all over it ;D ;D ;D.Nice fish too.

Brian

Fish King
07-16-2005, 02:30 PM
That rod in the background of your picture looks pretty light. Did you land that 30 pounder on that one. If you did it must be a real trick getting them in the net. When you get them up to the boat can you guide them into the net with that rod??? Just curious. I might get one if you can. Also going out on Monday. Where are all the fish at??? ???

Mickey_Thomas
07-16-2005, 03:26 PM
Fish-King, the rod is a Vance's Heavy rated 8-20lb. I have 30lb line on my reel. This is the first year I've used it and I must say it's a great rod. The 30 pounder did a last ditch effort to head under the boat and I was able to pull her out of there and then I turned it directly to Hammer's net. For an enexpencive rod it has great back bone but still curls in the rigger almost to the water.
FishButt21, If I knew where the hot bite is I'd still be out there. ;D ;D I've heard they are doing pretty good out the Golden Gate last week. ;)
TROUTKING, blood in the boat is a good thing ;D I let the Salmon just lay there till I got my line back in the water, then I bled it, bagged it, and put it on ice, after a picture or two 8) Doesn't everyone have a wash down pump? ;)

FISHSTALKER
07-16-2005, 03:50 PM
Mickey - Now all you need is the hot water sink. I've seen them where they hook up to the Honda trolling motor, they must have it for the Yamahoppy too? Nice for cleaning hands and gear. If you are interested I might be able to find the info.
Dale 8)

Steve_M
07-16-2005, 04:01 PM
Micky.Your North River boat seems to be the best all around set up that I've seen. I've always wanted a North River jet,But after seeing the extra room you have in your boat no way would I buy a jet,The extra weight,Gas mileage,Noise.Anyway I think your boat is awesome.PS Nice fish

Fishbutt21
07-16-2005, 04:49 PM
Thanks for the report Mickey
I will be heading out the gate sunday morning for salmon and Bodega for rocks and lings on Monday so I will keep you posted ;)

AllFishNoWork
07-16-2005, 11:37 PM
NICE fish Mickey! :D

Hammer looks like he is cutting a watermelon.
Mickey, white pants fishing ??? ;) :-/ :)

Mickey_Thomas
07-17-2005, 05:38 AM
Allfish, I've always been a style setter ;D ;D the pants are grey and old ;) and comfy, I'm all about comfort 8)

gone fishin
07-17-2005, 04:00 PM
Well, we got our first skunk Salmon fishing at Bodega... :'( :'(
We did manage a couple of rock cod before going in. The best part of the trip was watching Mickey catch the biggest Salmon of his life. what a battle it was. We trolled around him for at least 20 minutes while the fish kept taking line...

Hammer made two attempts to net the big fish when they finally netted it on the third attemp...Wow ;D ;D

We heard of reports that some kings were being caught up at the Russian river around 4:00 PM. So in desperate attempt to get into the kings we made the 12 mile trip up. we had 2 hard take downs in 75 foot of water. Also the bait fish were everywhere.

I think around Bodega with no bait to speak of is why the fish are not around. I hope it gets better soon.

Anyway, had a good trip, the water was flat all day with no wind at all and a 5-6 foot swell.

Way to go Mickey... you made my trip ;D ;D

A picture of Mickeys north river right before he caught the big Salmon...
http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/501/medium/pvp_010.jpg

drstressor
07-18-2005, 08:09 AM
Sorry that I wimped out on the trip guys. It was combination of Ron's weather warning and work guilt. I need to work on that second excuse. :(

Congrats on the 30 lb fish Mick. That's what they call a Tyee in Canada. But I think you have to catch in with a single action reel and a wood plug behind a rowed boat.

Most people seem to use way to heavy gear for salmon down here. Probably because of the tradition of trolling with heavy lead weights. Particularly when using Barbless hooks, you want to use long limber rods. That's what they use in AK (where barbed hooks are used) and BC (where you need to use barbless). The principle is the same as for kokanee fishing: if you use a stiff rod the fish is more likely to break off with head shakes. The limber rods act as a shock absorber. This is particularly important for bigger kings that often save their best efforts for when they get right up to the boat.

Mickey_Thomas
07-18-2005, 08:15 AM
I guess you'll just have to go with us and show us ;D. I feel the limber rod is the reason I was able to land the fish for sure, I did as you told me at Hell Hole and finally landed one over 20lbs ;) Vance's rod is a 8-20lb, perfect for Salmon(in my opinion) I think Ron uses a limber one too and he's been killing them this year. Oh by the way, did you see the flat water? 8) you did wimp out on us ;D ;D

Fish King
07-18-2005, 09:14 AM
Can you troll with a 2 1/2 pound lead ball on the end of one of those rods? I've got a Seeker Black Steel rod rated 12-25 pound test line. It has a very soft end with a strong backbone. It looks like your rods are all around very flexible. How long are the rods that you guys use? Ans whats my best bet for salmon at Bodega tomorrow? Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks. :)

Bait_N_Wait
07-18-2005, 12:04 PM
Great report - great pics. Thanks!

Mickey_Thomas
07-18-2005, 02:50 PM
Fish-King, I admit I brought the rod to Mack fish when I'm Kokonee fishing but ever since I landed my first Salmon this year on it it's been the only rod I'm using for Salmon now. It's just a 8 footer but as you can see in the first picture on page one it flexes real good but it also has a good backbone to turn a fish if you need it. I think Vance doesn't know that it's a good Salmon rod or he'd advertise it more that way, maybe he'll take the hint since I know he reads our forums ;) You can pm me about the rods if you want, I don't want to advertise anything for anybody, but I will tell you if it ever fails me too 8)

gone fishin
07-18-2005, 02:59 PM
Hey Fish_King,

I use a 10'-6" Med. action mooching rod with a Shimano moocher plus Knuckle buster. The rod is similar to a 8-9 weight fly rod. We troll using down riggers. You might need a heavier rod when using the 2.5# weights.

As far a bait, try using Green/chartreuse 11" flasher with a water melon apex. Or use a 3"-4" green/white hoochie with a double single barb-less hook set up with an anchovy. Hook the anchovy with the first hook up under the lower jaw through the head then slip the hoochie over the top of the baits head. I usually let the second hook float about 1/2" up from the tail of the bait. Run about 24" of leader behind the flasher.

I was just there a few days ago and is was very slow around Bodega area. There is allot more bait up at the Russian river area. If I was to go back now thats where I would start. Just locate the bait balls and troll around them.

Good luck...

BodegaErik
07-18-2005, 06:15 PM
Fish King,

If your going salmon tomarrow go SOUTH!!!! The towers. Mucho fish!!!!

Fish King
07-18-2005, 06:52 PM
Hey thanks for that BodegaErik. What was the hot setup today? And where is the best place to get some rockfish down South? :)

Mickey_Thomas
07-18-2005, 06:59 PM
<FishSite@aol.com>
According too the site above that's exactly what happened today, BogedaErik for your first post it seems to be a good one. Welcome to the boards Bogeda Erik 8)

Fishquest
07-18-2005, 08:08 PM
I also saw elsewhere that the long-awaited bite @ 10 Mile busted loose today. Undoubtedly it was triggered by the fact that my boat goes into the shop tomorrow :( :( :(. I'm really hoping it comes out of the shop tomorrow too. Wish me luck!
Hi Erik! When's that first tuna run going to happen?

Mickey_Thomas
07-18-2005, 08:12 PM
Fishguest, mine goes in the shop Weds, hope to get it back Thurs so I can fish Fri. ???

Fishquest
07-18-2005, 08:36 PM
Good luck with your boat, Mickey. I HATE being off the water when the forecast and the fishing reports align like they are right now. Weather looks good thru Thursday, maybe it will hold til Friday; let's keep our fingers crossed.

Vance Staplin
07-18-2005, 08:48 PM
Hi Guy's,

Mickey is right I do watch the boards. Especially since I got my new boat and have full access to the ocean now.

I try to stay off of the boards because I don't want to be considered as advertising here. But sometimes such as now I can't help but put my .02 cents in.

Mickey is doing exactly what my 8 foot rod was designed for.

Jonah from HI's Tackle Box in San Francisco approached me a few years back and asked me to make the rod for Mooching and Downrigger fishing for Salmon.

Doc is right (again) in saying that because of the use of heavy ball/sinker release type trolling there has been some confusion in rod classification when it comes to ocean Salmon. Different techniques require different rods.

The long parabolic blank has a light taper that holds the barbless hooks in but also has enough backbone to turn big fish.

Rods made from blanks like these work great for Salmon, Halibut, Stripers, Mackinaw and lead core line. Don't just consider my rod when purchasing a new Salmon rod. Consider going back to the parabolic blank no matter who makes them.

They Work!!

Mickey, I haven't been advertising the rods because we underestimated how many we would need for this year and sold out of some models.

Vance