PDA

View Full Version : Fort Baker

nickjew1
10-13-2008, 04:56 PM
I'm pretty new to jetty and pier fishing and im wonder how i can fish fort baker? to catch perch, would i just use a sibiki rig and jig up n down, and use some pencil poppers to try to get some topwater action? I'm not sure how to fish off piers so any suggestions will really help. I have 3 crap traps, and i'll use some chicken for bait. is there a size limit on rock crabs?

MB_Kevin
10-13-2008, 05:04 PM
I think the end of the pier has a sign about the crab size. I think it was 4".

Phinger28
10-13-2008, 09:18 PM
I was at the Fort Baker pier recently and caught many perch and a few crabs. I caught the perch using something like a sabiki rig or you could just use a hi-lo rig with little size 12 or 10 hooks. I used pieces of shrimp for bait but others were using pieces of anchovies and doing just as well. Some guy had his crab nets baited with mackerel caught a bunch of crabs. I think you can only use two nets per person there though. Not much big happening there when i went except for a sea lion(s) that were around.
Make sure you have some kind of cage or metal mesh of some sort to put your crab bait in or that sea lion will have a free lunch on you.

sHoRe_fAnAtIc
10-14-2008, 08:36 AM
For all the public piers in the bay you can use two fishing apparatus (either two of each or a combination of 1 of each)... Remember that there is a 3 HOOK Limit inside the Golden Gate so make sure to trim those Sabiki's...

Crabs inside the bay must be a minimum of 4 inches... No dungies are allowed...

nickjew1
10-14-2008, 11:53 AM
alright, will the sealions eat chicken though?i know fish is the best to use. but those crabs will tear anything up. i remember i was in oregon about 2 months ago crabbing off the beach, and i was pulling in pot fulls with dungeoness that were 5 and 3/4 inch. it was great. is there a size limit on the fish there?

pinfish
10-14-2008, 12:26 PM
go to the tackle shop and get a crab ruler. you'll have the size limits on that ruler and you will not get a ticket for not having a ruler

in the east coast we used chicken, i suppose it would work. might work for the sea lions too.

nickjew1
10-14-2008, 02:51 PM
is it a ruler specifically made for red rock crab?

sHoRe_fAnAtIc
10-15-2008, 07:51 AM
just use a tape measure... When in doubt throw it back

Furbait
10-15-2008, 08:49 AM
alright, will the sealions eat chicken though?i know fish is the best to use. *but those crabs will tear anything up. *i remember i was in oregon about 2 months ago crabbing off the beach, *and i was pulling in pot fulls with dungeoness that were *5 and 3/4 inch. *it was great. *is there a size limit on the fish there? * *

I've never heard of sea lions or harbor seals trying to steal chicken crab bait.

nickjew1
10-15-2008, 11:35 AM
alright, i have a few sabiki rigs from when my brother went to japan. I'll have to try it out, with only 3 hooks. so are teh red tailed surf perch the only one with a size limit?

sHoRe_fAnAtIc
10-15-2008, 12:22 PM
Yes Redtails are the only one's with size limits (perch-wise)...

Fish_R_Us
10-15-2008, 03:53 PM
I use a 16" long stick that is about 1/2 size of a yardstick or ruler. It has cut out notches at 4", 5 3/4", 12" and 15". The notches are a little bit extra (1/32") on the long side in order to accomodate for wear at the end of the stick. That one stick is good for measuring both species of crab, 12" for greenlings and 15" for cabezones. All of my primary buckets contain a measuring stick.You can cut a similar stick with minimum lengths of whatever prey you are seeking.

nickjew1
10-15-2008, 05:34 PM
i'll have my measuring tape along with me. so it sholdnt be any problem.