PDA

View Full Version : Elephant Rock Pier

Phinger28
10-01-2008, 11:11 AM
Any Sniffers fish this place? *I read the info about it at pierfishing.com and it has piqued my interest. *Any Sniffers been out there lately? *If so whats the word?

sHoRe_fAnAtIc
10-02-2008, 07:04 AM
I was there about a week ago... Depending on the day the tide may be just ripping hard... On the day I went I got a huge ray (estimating 90 - 100lbs).... Two short leopards... crap load of Smelt and some small perch... The ray took abot 40 minutes to land with my Heavy action 8'6" Lamiglas and 15lb test... Parking just suck here though... and there are lots of tourist... So put on a show for them... ;D

Phinger28
10-02-2008, 01:24 PM
That sounds like an awesome time. Tourist love when you have a big fish hanging...but they are always worried that its hurts the fish ;D No joke. I had one big ray on in Sausalito and one woman in the crowd watching claimed it was too painful to watch. She shielded her eyes and walked away ;Dlol
Were you using shrimp for the perch and smelt? Id like to catch some of those on my UL gear.

BTW How did you land that big ray? :o

sHoRe_fAnAtIc
10-02-2008, 03:10 PM
For the Smelt:
-Use a THREE hook Sabiki rig
-Split Shot(s)
-Squid in small strips (they last longer then shrimp)

For the Perch:
-1-2oz weight
- Hi-Lo Rig w/ size 4 to 6 Hook
- Shrimp

For the Stingrays/Sharks:
- 4-6oz weight (you're fishing a channel that comes up shallow)
- Hi-Lo rig or Slider Rig w/ at least a 5/O hook
- Squid/Sardines/Anchovies
- Cast out far...

The tide plays a huge roll here so make sure you figure out the tide first. Some days are awsome, while some just plain suck... But you'll never know until you try... *;D ... give it a shot... they're stripers there too... you can chuck out a Hair Raiser or Rattle trap...

On the tourist note... One lady (a tourist from another state) said I was hurt the "Manta Ray" when I pulled in the sting ray... I told her it's called fishing and it's not a Manta Ray... I tired to educate her, but *it didn't work.... and called the COPS on me... Se waited for like an hour and they never showed... They must of been laugh their butts off at the station, which was like a few blocks down the street... I just smiled and told her to call the COPS as she walked off when my cousin hooked up with another sting ray... *;D

Make sure you bring a crab net to land you fish/rays (It took two big guys that were watching + me + my cousin to land mines)... or you'll somehow need to walk it to shore (which is not all that easy)..

Phinger28
10-04-2008, 09:40 PM
Thanx for the info. i should be heading out there tomorrow, if not tomorrow than monday for sure. ill let you know how i do and ill see if i can get some nice pix

Phinger28
10-07-2008, 12:53 PM
Only little perch and rockfish there on monday. It was nice day and cool place to be anyways.. :)