PDA

View Full Version : Moss Landing

somrd
10-01-2008, 08:54 AM
I'll be in the Moss Landing area this week, and did a drive by about a month ago. I found the harbor and adjacent jetty. Anyone fish out here with any luck? I plan on hitting it tomorrow evening. If no luck, I heard Phil's Fish Market is the place to eat. ;)

T_s_dad
10-01-2008, 10:05 AM
Yep, Phils is the place. I was there on Saturday but didn't cast a line in. Down the street past Phils there were a few guys fishing but I didn't see any action.

Let us know how it is.

ken_fishnfool
10-01-2008, 11:15 AM
There's some nice rubberlip (rainbow) perch at the bottom of the rocks, as well as some rockcod, an occasional cabazon, maybe an eel or lingcod, have also been known to have been caught in the jetty rocks.
If the surf's up, the beach (breaker) side can have some good barred surf perch action.
Throw way out into the channel from the end of the jetty for rays and sharks! Squid or mackeral chunks.
Squid, pile worms, and anchovy pieces for in the rocks.
Grubs and sand crabs for the barred surf perch.

There might even be some jacksmelt in casting distance at high tide... ;)

Good luck! and let us know how you do. :)

somrd
10-01-2008, 01:10 PM
Thanks for replying...that's all I needed to know. I will let you know how I do.

Sin_Coast
10-02-2008, 02:18 PM
Market shrimp or chunked squid on a surf leader straight out from the North jetty. There are some old pilings so watch out for snags. But that's also why the fish are there!
Regardless of which jetty you fish, don't cast far. You only need to cast about 20 feet---to the inside edge of the kelp and where the jetty rocks end.
You can also try for rays+sharks near the HWY 1 bridge. There is a decent spot on the North side of the bridge.
Good luck!

somrd
10-06-2008, 12:25 PM
Late reply here. I tried swimbaits, grubs, and squid strips for about an hour for nothing. I fished the south jetty, surf was 3-4 ft and crashing the jetty pretty good. My stomach started to grumble so I wandered over to Phil's Fish Market. Awesome cioppino and oysters on the half shell. Thanks for the tips. I did notice everyone fishing the north jetty and I was the only one on the south.