PDA

View Full Version : Best surf perch weather?

eatsumfish
10-01-2008, 03:08 PM
I'm aware that the best surf perch fishing tends to be on an incoming tide. But what about sky conditions? Is sunny better than cloudy or foggy? What about rain? There is a front coming in late Friday this weekend and we are considering hitting some areas on the San Mateo coastline. But my initial guess is that fish may have trouble seeing baits without good sun? Our plan is to try some Berkley camo sandworms plastic instead of our collection of grubs. Maybe we ought be selecting another color?

Furbait
10-03-2008, 07:05 PM
eatsumfish,

I haven't noticed that surf perch prefer either sunny or cloudy weather. I think water clarity makes a greater difference, in that they can see in almost any conditions, just not as far around themselves in murky water. I've caught perch while it drizzled, but I think severe weather generally turns off the perch bite. They seem to prefer stable weather and moderate surf conditions. Trying the camo sandworms sounds like a good idea, especially if one of you is using grubs at the same time so you can compare the results from the two baits. Using a scented worm or grub for perch is always a good idea. I normally use shrimp oil. I don't know of any more consistent colors for perch than motor oil grubs and camo sandworms. Perhaps you'll find one!

One other thing: in my experience, many times the perch didn't bite very much until the high tide had peaked and started falling. Good fishing! FB *

ken_fishnfool
10-04-2008, 06:37 AM
I've done fine in rain and overcast. (December to March has been my best red-tail fishing)
As stated, the water clarity and tide is what is more important!
I always seem to do best on a mid-morning high tide along this stretch of coast (Monterrey to Point Reyes).

Good luck!!