PDA

View Full Version : HOW TO CHOOSE A SURF ROD

LIVAI
08-30-2008, 02:23 PM
I'm looking at getting a new surf rod. I need to know what to look for as for as pro's and con's. I checked Cabela's and they have a ton of rods, but I dont know what exactly to look for.

Any recommendations?

Dday
08-30-2008, 02:35 PM
First question u need to start with is what type of fish will you be going after??? ;D

bueller...bueller...bueller...bueller 8-)

holla at me bro!!!!! We'll go shoppin.. i know what ur fishin' for and i'm just messin wit u... NOW GET OFF THE SNIFFER AND GET BACK TO WORK!!!!! [smiley=bam.gif]

Man u have a good job sniffin all day at your desk... almost as good as being on the water soakin bait and rippin lips!!! [smiley=fishing5.gif]

LIVAI
08-30-2008, 02:48 PM
HaHa..Very funny..You know I'm just trying to get out and catch whatever..some sharks..rays..sturgeon..halibut..stripers....any and all..You know i'm just trying to have a good time..

I gotta try and make it a priority though to get out to Saucilito though..Every time you guys go, you guys always have a good time..

nateb
08-30-2008, 06:25 PM
How about for small targets like surf perch?? All the rods that are sensitive enough are 7" and all the rods that are long enough are stiff as a 2x4. Looking for like a 10"+ sensitive rod but no luck???

Crass
09-02-2008, 12:43 AM
Get a 9ft daiwa beef stick. good backbone, sensitive tip, not bad for an all arounder. id just like it to have a few more guides, but thats just me.
ive hauled in some little guys, and some fatties on it, so its not bad for a middle guy.

oh, did i mention you can get one for about $13 at sports authority?

chrisd
09-02-2008, 09:19 AM
I use an ugly stick. It's a little thick at the base, but has a pretty sensitive tip and has good action. Around 50 -60.

Furbait
09-02-2008, 02:31 PM
I'm looking at getting a new surf rod. I need to know what to look for as for as pro's and con's. I checked Cabela's and they have a ton of rods, but I dont know what exactly to look for. Any recommendations?

Hi LIVAI,

I've been using 2 Lamiglas Surf King rods this year, the SK9MS and the SK10MS. I use a Pfleuger Medalist 6050 with 8-12# Stren on the SK9MS and a P. M. 6060 with 14# Stren on the SK10MS. *I use them for casting lures and surf perch rigs from the beach. The SK9MS will cast 1/2-2oz, with a sweet spot around 1oz. The SK10MS will cast 1-3oz. well, with the best weight near 2oz. They both have good sensitivity for surf rods, but are butt-heavy. So, I counter-weighted each of them with 18ga. solder wrapped around the ends of the handles and secured it with cement and lacquer. Now they're both balanced right at the reel seats - I have a nice 4" long casting grip at the end of each handle and can fish them like I'm using a 6' rod!

The SK9MS costs around $110 and the SK10MS costs about $120. I think they're very good, lightweight graphite rods for the money. The reel seats, handles, guides, ferrules and finishes are all strong and durable. I've caught bat rays over 50# on both of them, but I haven't used them with heavy line, which may be too much stress for these particular models to handle. You can throw down to 1/4oz. with the SK9MS and up to 4oz. with the SK10MS, but those are pretty much the limits. The SK10MS doesn't cast anything under 3/4oz very well. If you try to use the SK9MS for anything over 2oz you'll probably end up breaking the tip, but it's a good rod for surf perch, smaller stripers and halibut from the beach.

If you only want to get one rod, check out the SK10MS. It might be a good place to start for you. I also strongly recommend the Pfleuger Medalist reels for surf casting with mono. They're smooth, strong, reliable, resistant to salt water and at about $70 each not terribly expensive. P.S. - I don't know how either these rods or reels would perform using braided lines. It might work, it might not. Good fishing!

Furbait
09-02-2008, 02:40 PM
I made a mistake. I wrote above that the Surf Kings are butt-heavy, when I actually meant that they're originally quite tip-heavy. Sorry about that!

FB

LIVAI
09-02-2008, 05:46 PM
Furbait,

Wow!!! That was a whole lot of info..But good info at that. I appreciate the info. I mostly fish for stripers, cats, sturgeons, sharks and rays..How do you think those would hold up for the sturgeons and larger rays?

Furbait
09-02-2008, 06:26 PM
Wow!!! That was a whole lot of info..But good info at that. I appreciate the info. I mostly fish for stripers, cats, sturgeons, sharks and rays..How do you think those would hold up for the sturgeons and larger rays?

LIVAI,

I think the SK10MS might be good for really big fish, but not if you have to apply huge force levels using high-test line. That would probably break it, because it's built light and sensitive. It's better for throwing lures long distances on relatively light line for long periods of time. If all you're looking for is a big bait stick, something cheaper and much heavier would probably be more appropriate. I think the Pflueger Medalist would still be a very good choice, however. The drags and bearings on those reels are excellent, in my experience even better than Shimano!

FB

ghostfish_slayer
09-03-2008, 07:06 AM
a cabelas predator is a pretty sensitive rod with enough power to handle decent size fish.. as for surf kings,, i would stay away from them if i was casting 2 oz or more from the surf. quite a few of my frinds have had theirs blow up on them while casting 2 oz poppers and 2 oz tin. one after the other.. tsunami airwave might be a little better, or even a d-blue.. the d-blue older rod is a little heavy but right around 60 bucks. their newer model might be lighter i have not felt one yet.

Dday
09-08-2008, 10:07 AM
LIVAI,
Daiwa Emblem Surf Rod EM-ES1202MHRS .. About $109.00 for the 12 footer I have. Great rod... Light & strong back bone with a sensitive tip to detect light bites like the ones from Dino's!!! ;D

Rod can sling lead out far and pull in big beast's over 100+lbs... (proven)

I toss big lead with it too in the Carquinez Straight when the current rips. Some times I throw 11,12 or even 14oz'ers just to hold bottom... Rod is not even close to blowin up... Handles great!!!

Hook set's on Dino's, no problem rippin' lips!!!

Tug - o -war with freight train runners like 100+lbs rays, no problem..

U seen what the rod does.. And I know where ya do most of your fishin' and I think this rod will have you covered.. Go down to Benicia Bait and talk to Pam or Curtis, they'll hook ya up...

S_L
09-08-2008, 10:20 AM
I was real disappointed with my Surf King, was need to dump it.
And I donít real like Ugly Sticks Ė too heavy, luck of backbone and not sensitive enough.
Now I'm using.... well ... something unusual: German made IM6 telescopic Balzer Diabolo III Tele145 12' (less than 3' collapsed!), rated 40 - 145 gr. (1 1/3 -:- 4 1/2 oz)
It is much lighter, more sensitive... better all over IMO.
The only disadvantage is... they don't produce them any more, and next model, Diabolo IV is more expensive. Ohh... And you can order it only from Balzer catalog which you can obtain from P&S fishing: http://www.psfishing.com/... not that easy, but if you like the very idea of trying some European approach to surf fishing, you'll go all way :)
(NOTE: I'm NOT associated with P&S or Balzer in any way :) )

LIVAI
09-17-2008, 07:07 AM
Thanks everybody for all the great tips..hey D-Day, I really like the rod you have...Very light and like you say, proven..I'm gonna put my money aside..Probably go with one similar to yours.

Double_D
09-18-2008, 05:03 AM
I've had two Surf Kings two Daiwa Powersurf rods, snapped all four the Surf Kings being the worst,no backbone and not very sensitive....plus I thought the Lami Surf Kings didn't have the power to put rounds down range......it's only custom surf rods for me, I'm on my 4th season with custom sticks and not one problim......I've paid for my education. ;D

FishinRaiders
09-28-2008, 09:43 AM
You know I have the surf king 11 foot..I just don't like the way the rod handles..Hard to explain..

I have my surf king next to my 9 foot fiberglass 20 year old rod I used in the surf before getting the Surf King..9 times out of 10 this year I grabbed the 9 footer..

I have never sold a rod before but I am leaning towards selling this and getting something else..

I throw lighter hair raisers from the surf and normally use small Kastmasters up to 1 1/2 oz and small Mickey Jigs..

I think I am spoiled from using my Steelhead Salmon Rods..

RANDO
10-02-2008, 03:57 PM
i have an ugly stick surf rod which i think is great for the price, i was looking at kencor and loomis surf rods today though