PDA

View Full Version : 9/21 berkely pier

Dimsumboy
09-21-2008, 10:28 PM
We were there from noon till 6pm, no halibut or striper and walk around the pier and nobody else catch anything either. I think it's because that nowhere in bay area you can buy live anchovies, But from 3pm till 5pm me and my friends caught 23 smelts from 12" to 15" and 3 perch about 15". It was very fun, we were so busy we don't even bother to catch the other pole with squid heh. So... that was our day, hope next time we can catch some live anchovies and use it for bay.

CDK
09-22-2008, 06:26 AM
I think if it were me I would have hooked one of those smaller Smelt through the nose and casted out and let it soak. Butts and Sharks like them.

Dimsumboy
09-22-2008, 09:47 AM
That's what I was thinking but, they seem too big for bait and i don't know how to hook them, is it same way as live anchovies?

CDK
09-22-2008, 12:23 PM
I never fished live anchovies only frozen.
If the Smelt are too big cut in 1/2 or smaller.
To me fresh bait is always better than frozen if I can get it.

Dimsumboy
09-24-2008, 12:01 AM
but halibut and striper don't eat cut up smelts right?

CDK
09-24-2008, 05:27 AM
Not as well as live bait but They do eat cut bait. Biggest striper I ever caught at Mare Island was on 1/2 of some kinda fish I bought at the Asian market.

acousticrain
09-24-2008, 06:35 AM
I was at Berkeley Pier the past couple Saturday nights till about midnight. No bites. I was using frozen anchovies cut up on a 3 oz sinker..oh yea...was wondering. I see some people with bait nets..are those allowed and do people actually catch bait fish with them off the pier?

bassmanben
09-25-2008, 08:24 AM
yes, and yes. check the saltwater general discussion board for more info. actually, do a search, there's been quite a few posts about it.

Dimsumboy
09-25-2008, 11:58 AM
yeah, I'm planning to head to mel cotton after work today to see if I find me a cast net, one guy here told me that a 5' net <10' across> is around $40 bucks. I see pplz cast nets there all the time, and some even offer me to buy their live anchovies for $2 and I get 4, that's steal compare to bait shops, but you'll need a bucket and an aerator to keep it alive. So... either net or hook, I'm gonna catch me some live baits this weekend lol

pontoon_crew
09-25-2008, 09:44 PM
Big bait=big fish!

Dimsumboy
09-26-2008, 12:05 AM
lol it'll be pretty difficult to rig a 12" jacksmelt with a float even it's the size of an orange, the bait will drag it over the place.

shon42073
09-29-2008, 05:46 PM

Of course stripers and halibut will take cut bait. Some people and some baitshops want you to beleive you must purchase there live anchovies to catch halibut, that is totally false. Many a butts have fallin to squid for me. Drift you bait around on the pier do not anchor it to the bottom with massive amount of weight.