PDA

View Full Version : Poke Poling ADvice

fishingfanatic
09-01-2008, 01:33 PM
Does anybody have any advice on poke polin? I am thinking of trying it and was wondering about different techniques etc... Also, is there a message board for poke poling?

ff

slowriprun
09-05-2008, 04:57 PM
Hey fanatic,

Do you have a pokepole? If you do or don't, the best pole is longest you can handle.
The technique is simple: find a rocky shoreline and a good minus tide, either be prepared to get wet or use a pair of waders. Then, get in there, be safe and poke around between rocks until you find a nice deep hole. Poke at a hole from different angles; you'll find that from one angle, some holes, will drop deep.
Use squid. If the pole starts to slowly spin/turn, it's probably an eel. It you get the tap, tap, tap, bang, it's probably cod. If you've poked and don't get a hit in a few seconds, really, then you should move to a different hole.

Good luck.
David

Ben510le
09-05-2008, 09:05 PM
make sure u get a good negative tide
those waves are scary and not worth it on a tide not low enough
monkey face are always around

MB_Kevin
09-05-2008, 09:35 PM
That is true if you don't get a fish in a min or two in a hole you should move on. What took me a while to learn was after you do pull a fish/eel out of a hole fish it some more. I have gotten many fish out of one hole. I used to move on after I pulled one fish out of a hole.
There is one of my favorite holes that is off a high rock that even at a higher tide or ruff waves I will fish for a while. I always end up getting something out of it even after I have poked it for a while.

Farrier_Frank
09-06-2008, 05:59 AM
I have gotten many fish out of one hole. *I used to move on after I pulled one fish out of a hole.

So true. I use to move to a new hole after one fish and then one day a friend, more seasoned than me at poke pollin', pulled three eels from under the rock I was standing on. If it's a good deep hole there is a good chance there will be more than one in there.

Squid works good, but so do clams or mussels.

slowriprun
09-06-2008, 10:18 AM
Good point Master Baiter concerning more than one fish per hole. And it reminds me about the day I first learned to poke.

When I was a ten or eleven years old, I use to go into a little food shop owned by a Chinese family near my favorite fishing spot. My friends and I would go in and buy candy and soda when the Chinese husband and wife were working. When the Chinese grandpa and grandma were working - they were both half blind - we would buy one thing and poket everything else.

One summer day, as I stood at the counter with my pockets full, trying to pay for the one item, grandma pulled out a coat hanger. I thought I was busted. I thought she was about to teach me a Chinese lesson about five finger discounting. She wouldn't take my money. She straightned the hanger on the counter in front of me. I stood there frozen. My friend walked away quickly. She pulled a hook out, put it directly on the wire and with a pair of pliers she secured it directly to the hanger. She pointed out the door and across the street to the rocks and said, "fish."
I thought that the old blind woman was teasing me, so I left my money on the counter and started to leave. She yelled at me and came around the corner of the counter, hanger in hand. She walked past me and out the door and across the street to the rocks. I followed her back to my friends and our bait and tackle. She cut a piece of squid from our supply and loaded the hook.
The old, half blind Chinese woman crawled slowly down the rocks to the water's edge and from her hands and knees she started poking in the rocks. I still remember standing on the walk way above the old woman thinking that she was crazy.
We giggled, my friends and I, as she slowly crawed on her hands and knees from rock to rock, poking the little hanger into holes, her old arm frequently submerged into the water. Then, she suddenly pulled out a two foot Monkey Face eel, threw the hanger and eel onto the walk way at our feet and slowly crawled back up. She took the eel into her hand, unbuttoned it and said something like, "Back to hole."
I picked up the hanger and went back to the same hole and for the first time felt the strange feeling of an eel pulling and twisting on a coat hanger. I spent that summer supplying the old women with eels, for which she gave me fresh, hot pork buns. From that day, I always paid for my candy.

MB_Kevin
09-06-2008, 09:26 PM
WOW! that is quite a story slowriprun. It was a fun read. I also at that age would have thought she was crazy until I seen her pull out a eel.

metalmouth
09-07-2008, 09:09 AM
Great read slowriprun! Thanks for sharing.

MM

Dday
09-08-2008, 09:44 AM
Cool Story Slowriprun!

Hooked Up
09-10-2008, 07:37 PM
I'm gonna get carpel tunnel telling this story......

20+yrs ago, me and a couple friends were down at Moss beach poll pokin'. After pulling in few Monkey Faced Eels, I decided, I'm going to find out how they taste, so I tossed one to the side to take home.

We fished for at least another 30+minutes then loaded in the truck and head back to my friends house with my eel in the back. The drive was at least 20 minutes.

So, we get back, we're hangin' out, watchin' the end of a football game or something. After 30 minutes or so, I'm like "oh yeah, the eel." so, I head to the store across the street to get some flour, cornmeal and oil (deep fried is the only way I was going to eat something that ugly).

After the store I get the eel and a piece of wood. I drive a nail through it's head into the wood and cut a ring around it's neck (neck? whatever). I grab the skin with some pliers and start peeling the skin off. Job done. The eel has been skinned, gutted and beheaded. What was that? 30 minutes?

Time to get to cookin'. I pour some oil in the pan and get it nice and hot, then drop the slab of meat in a bag of flour corn meal and seasoning and shake it up. 10 minutes?

Me and my two friends are talking in the kitchen just before I decide to start fryin. Everything's ready so I go to drop the meat in the pan. .............Soon as the meat touches the pan, it starts kickin' and splashin' around in hot oil as if it were alive :o :o :o!!!! Nearly two hours went by. All three of us freaked, screamed like high school girls and ran for the door. The three of us got to the door at the same time and got wedged ;D ;D ;D. It was like a scene out of the Three Stooges. We were all wiggling to get out and none of us wanted to be last.

Well.....it was my catch, so I had to go back in there with the possessed creature (with a helping shove from friends). It was in it's last dying throws. (If I had a 10' pole I would have used it) I turned the burner off, walked the beast out side to the garbage cans and dumped it right on top. I expected a hungry alley cat or raccoon to eat it by morning. The next day, it was still there untouched.

I have no idea how it tasted and never will!

MB_Kevin
09-10-2008, 08:29 PM
They actually taste good once you try and forget what they looked like before cleaning them. *When the guy who showed me how to catch them (wading2fish who recently passed away in a work related accident *:'( ) got one he beat it on the head and threw it in his backpack. *I asked why he did that and he said that way hopefully it will be almost dead when he got it home. *I found out what he meant when I took one home a while later. *I didn't beat it on the head at the water and it was hard to kill that thing. *I filleted while it was still kicking a little after trying to kill it. *After it was filleted It didn't move anymore.

*There was a time I filleted a catfish and vacuum sealed it. *Even after filleting it and vacuum sealing it the meat had some movement kind of like a hart beat. :o

Hooked Up
09-10-2008, 09:10 PM
They actually taste good once you try and forget what they looked like before cleaning them. *When the guy who showed me how to catch them (wading2fish who recently passed away in a work related accident *:'( ) got one he beat it on the head and threw it in his backpack. *I asked why he did that and he said that way hopefully it will be almost dead when he got it home. *I found out what he meant when I took one home a while later. *I didn't beat it on the head at the water and it was hard to kill that thing. *I filleted while it was still kicking a little after trying to kill it. *After it was filleted It didn't move anymore.

*There was a time I filleted a catfish and vacuum sealed it. *Even after filleting it and vacuum sealing it the meat had some movement kind of like a hart beat. :o
OK, so I guess my eel incident wasn't rare. That's good to know. I think filleting and vacuum packing a fish....then it STILL moving is even more bazaar than my story!