PDA

View Full Version : I'm goin to Alamda Rock Wall What's Biting?

acousticrain
08-20-2008, 05:45 AM
I'm going to the Rock wall for the first time and not sure what bait to use. I wanna catch big fish, maybe sturgeon, halibut and shark. What kind of bait should I use, how big of a weight, a hook, and also what sports are hitting. Right now I have frozen anchovies, some pieces of squid.

Also, what is a good time to go there? I'm shooting for 830-9am

sHoRe_fAnAtIc
08-20-2008, 11:54 AM
good luck with the Sturgeon... Kinda hard to get them there right now...

You'll have better chances for stripers or even a lone halibut... Try pluggin' if you want these guys....

With the anchovies and squid... you'll most likely run into Stingrays and sharks...

chagovatoloco
08-20-2008, 06:42 PM
squid on a sturgeon rig always seems to get some action. A hight low hood works well too.

fokellzfisherman
08-21-2008, 06:55 AM
how do you get to the rockwall from berkeley?

acousticrain
08-21-2008, 08:52 AM
Getting to the Rockwall can be somewhat of a chore. If traveling north on I880, take the Broadway exit, and head east one block to 7th. Turn right two blocks to Webster St. Then follow Webster St. through the tunnel to Central Ave.. Turn right on Central Ave., and look for an unmarked entrance between two fences just past Lincoln St. Its located right next to Encinal High School.

If heading south on I880, take the Webster St. exit to the island. Proceed through the tunnel to Central Ave.. Turn right at Central Ave., and look for an unmarked entrance between two fences just past Lincoln St., and the Encinal High School.

acousticrain
08-24-2008, 10:19 AM
I went to Rockwall yesterday, Saturday..was anyone else there? I got there at 8am. My rig was set up with a 3ox sliding sinker on top then figure 8 swivel and then squid with a big ol hook on it, no bites! So I switched to pile worms on a smaller hook, nada! And then! I switched to anchovies..no bites! I did this till noon. And then at noon I changed my setup thinkin maybe my rig was set up wierd. Sooooo...I did it so my hook was at the top, swivel, leader to a 3oz sinker at the bottom changed up baits again..used squid the most but still no bites! I was there till 2pm and left. I am not ever going back to Rockwall...ugh

metalmouth
08-24-2008, 11:08 AM
Some days the windshield, some days the bug. *;)

Ugbomb
08-24-2008, 08:33 PM
I havent had much luck in the bay lately. I usually get into a couple ray/shark a week in my "Spot". For about two weeks nada. Maybe the water is too warm. :(

sHoRe_fAnAtIc
08-25-2008, 03:15 PM
I havent had much luck in the bay lately. I usually get into a couple ray/shark a week in my "Spot". For about two weeks nada. Maybe the water is too warm. *:(

plenty of sharks and rays in the bay.... Ur just at the wrong spot... ;)

MinnowMagnet
08-27-2008, 03:59 PM
I went to Rockwall yesterday, Saturday..was anyone else there? I got there at 8am. My rig was set up with a 3ox sliding sinker on top then figure 8 swivel and then squid with a big ol hook on it, no bites! So I switched to pile worms on a smaller hook, nada! And then! I switched to anchovies..no bites! I did this till noon. And then at noon I changed my setup thinkin maybe my rig was set up wierd. Sooooo...I did it so my hook was at the top, swivel, leader to a 3oz sinker at the bottom changed up baits again..used squid the most but still no bites! I was there till 2pm and left. I am not ever going back to Rockwall...ugh

How far out did you go, I fished there a couple weeks ago at the end and there were so many sharks I could not keep them off, you should give it another try. I have caught many legal leopards of there and rays up to 150lbs.

Ugbomb
08-27-2008, 09:49 PM
Ive fished the rockwall ALOT. But I NEVER have as much as my place south of Oakland Airport. The only difference is its a different depth and type of substrate on the bottom. I think when its not as windy the bigger fish would come in. When it is windy with big waves I've noticed that the bite disappears. Im thinkin..........since im only fishing in about 6 to 7 feet at full high tide: that the fish are further out when there is big waves. I dont think they like the tossing about. Also!!!!!! I have noticed the day after a gust when the water is chocolate every shark I catch ends up puking up worms. Just some obversations fishing a big clay flat! :(
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk244/ugbomb/Shark.jpg

shon42073
09-01-2008, 09:59 AM
I'd highly recomend you watch the tide chart and fish the incoming ! I preffere herring over anchovies, they stay on better and work well.