PDA

View Full Version : Surf Fishing Tips

fishstik
08-02-2008, 09:41 AM
I'm landlocked in Sacramento but would love to try surf fishing. My dad used to take me out when I was a kid but all he ever caught were Hammerheads and Rays.

Where can I fish that is not too far from Sacramento? Nothing more than 2 1/2 hours away.

What length of pole would be preferable? 10 ft, 11ft, or 12 ft? What brand of pole? I own about a half dozen Ugly Stiks, are their surf rods any good?

I have an Okuma Avenger ABF65 that I use for Striper, would that suffice?

Any and all tips would be appreciated.

onelilcrazyazn
08-02-2008, 10:53 AM
wow really hammerhead thats koo but yea umm u can try to go out to san pablo bay that might be close to where u live and length of pole depends on wat u are trying to catch out there and i actually like the diawa brand over ugly stick just because ugly stick are heavier than diawa hope that helps a bit

Ugbomb
08-02-2008, 10:24 PM
East Bay shoreline. Chuck some squid off the shore. About two hours before slack tide. Hold on. :(

Fat1Bear
08-03-2008, 09:10 AM
Baker Beach, just outside the Golden Gate. Striper schools come thru and terrorize any bait in the water. We picked up a nice leopard their last year, 44" on squid. Fish the areas where the rocks meet the beach.

pinfish
08-03-2008, 03:30 PM
Study the weather patterns, swells, and tides. Half the time the conditions will ruin your trip and you will have spent all that gas money for nothing but windburn.

MB_Kevin
08-03-2008, 10:24 PM
That is good advice. I live right up the hill from the beach and should know what the water is like. Still alot of times I go down it is to ruff to fish. I would be really mad if I had driven for hours to find that.

LIVAI
08-15-2008, 07:05 AM
SO FISHSTIK, DID YOU CHECK ANY OF THESE PLACES OUT..JUST CURIOUS..I JUST MOVED BACK TO THE BAY SO I'M TRYING TO FIND ALL THE GOOD HOLES..KEEP IT POSTED.

sHoRe_fAnAtIc
08-21-2008, 11:32 AM
What length of pole would be preferable? 10 ft, 11ft, or 12 ft? *What brand of pole? *I own about a half dozen Ugly Stiks, are their surf rods any good?

For the money Ugly Sticks surf rods are pretty decent... They're great for chucking bait... The only down side to them is that they are quite heavy (all fiberglass) compared to others and the handle is kinda short....

Your Okuma Avenger is good enough for surf fishing....

-If you're not a hardcore surf guy then I would look into some of Diawa's Surf rods... Okuma, Tica, and Tsunami also make some nice ones... These guys have some nice rods for less then $100...

Hardcore guys generally like custom rods (which are really nice)

Fat1Bear
08-21-2008, 01:37 PM
I use an Ugly Stik Custom 12' Surf Rod. It is quite a bit lighter than the original Ugly Stik line of rods and can be had for less than $100. In Mazatlan a couple of years back I landed a 37 pound Jack Cravale with it. The Jack Cravale fight like a Striper of double the weight. Just wanted you to know that it is a very strong rod too.

Dday
08-21-2008, 02:19 PM
I'm landlocked in Sacramento but would love to try surf fishing. *My dad used to take me out when I was a kid but all he ever caught were Hammerheads and Rays.

Where can I fish that is not too far from Sacramento? *Nothing more than 2 1/2 *hours away.

What length of pole would be preferable? 10 ft, 11ft, or 12 ft? *What brand of pole? *I own about a half dozen Ugly Stiks, are their surf rods any good?

I use a Daiwa Emblem EM-ES1202MHRS 12ft. It's strong and light. Got it at a bait shop near by for $100.00. I've pulled Ray's Sharks and it's main use is for sturgies!! I'v landed 60 to 80lb rays that run like freight trains!!! :o

Works great!! I have it set up with a Shimano 6500b Bait runner..

Double_D
09-01-2008, 07:17 AM
Study the weather patterns, swells, and tides. Half the time the conditions will ruin your trip and you will have spent all that gas money for nothing but windburn.

Some of the best words of wisdom I've seen posted in a long time......