PDA

View Full Version : New Brighton State Park/Beach

jetfishn
08-04-2008, 03:40 PM
We are headed camping at New Brighton State Park in Oct, any suggestions on what to fish for and where in this area I have never been there, just google earthed it is all, I will be taking my surf spinning and conventional outfits. Wife went there last Oct, said she saw several surf fishermen on the beach there.

vdub
08-05-2008, 07:45 PM
sand crabs should be rich right now, dig near the surf line, if you cant find them, dig somewhere else, then deeper

if you wanna fish artificials. gulp camo sandworm in the 2" variety. it's so good, no store can keep it in stock for msrp or even sometimes more. msrp is 7 bucks, some people sell it for 7.50 and 8 and yet it still sells out. that tells you how effective this worm is. I havent been able to restock on this worm in over 3 months. also because there's a rebate for it too. go to the gulp website and you'll get a rebate for 5 bucks back for 3 bags of gulp WAAYYY worth it.

other than the gcsw, i would suggest some perch/crappie grubs, in motor oil colors, and other natural colors. you could also throw a 3/8-1/2 oz kastmaster in chrome or chrome/blue or rainbow trout

that should keep you occupied

jetfishn
08-06-2008, 08:32 PM
Hey, thanks for the encouragement, I was afraid I was gonna have to bring a pile of Westerns to sit in the shade and read in camp!! I will look up those sand worms. I have the grubs in correct colors already. Thanks.

philosophy
08-07-2008, 12:53 PM
how do u hook up those sand worms? i saw it at the bait shop the other day and it just look kinda weird to me? anything being caught in new brighton? was thinking about going here or pacifica for bigger game. would u suggest anything for this weekend if fishing from shore?

vdub
08-07-2008, 07:46 PM
best times for perch are morning and within an hour of sunset.

to hook these worms, you take a size 6 mosquito hook and just string it on there as far as you can, the farther you go the less missed hooksets you'll have. perch will nibble the back first, then finish it with a second tug. the farther you string the worm on there, the better because you'll hook em easier. dont be ansy when fishing this worm, because you need them to eat it, dont rip it out of their mouth (a mistake i made a lot when i jsut started surf fishing)

the camo grubs in the smallest size will work too, and you can fish those easier because if they bite that, they have the whole thing already