PDA

View Full Version : Sabiki rigs in the surf?

MB_Kevin
08-03-2008, 10:54 PM
I was catching some surf perch and other small fish off a pier the other day on a sabiki rig. I was thinking if I put one on and tipped it with some squid or shrimp and maybe a 1/2-1oz weight and chucked it out into the surf I might get some perch. Does this work well or does it just get tangled up. I have gotten some striper's in the surf but still have not gotten alot of surf perch while targeting them.
Any input on using this?

vdub
08-04-2008, 10:55 AM
it would work, but it's going to come back a mess of line, hook, and sabiki, once it goes through the tumble cycle of that washing machine they call the pacific ocean

GT
08-04-2008, 11:11 AM
I agree with vdub. The sabiki would just tangle up on every cast due to all the tumbling it would get in the white wash. All you need is a pack of Gulp sandworms in camo and a standard sliding rig and your set. I caught a bunch with this technique last week in your neck of the woods MB.

MB_Kevin
08-05-2008, 12:59 PM
Thanks, That is why I wanted to ask before trying it.

CDK
08-05-2008, 08:36 PM
Ya got me thinking. :o
If you had a light surf and a 4oz pyramid sinker or so on the end maybe it would work if you cut every other hook off.
HMMMMMMMMMMM I think I will try it on my next Dillon trip. ;)

Pongo
08-06-2008, 06:00 AM
Berkeley has come out with imitation sand crab baits which are scented and work well in the Surf for the large Barred Perch. Blood worms also work great.

pinfish
08-06-2008, 09:56 AM
if you tie on the sabikis without the rig its called fly fishing

vito
08-06-2008, 01:33 PM
I use mine on the Dillons beach side at Lawson's. As long as there is a rip tide carrying your line down or up the beach, it is no problem and works well. I just put on a 1 oz weight, throw it out and wait for it to come back up on the beach. My record is five with one cast!

MB_Kevin
08-06-2008, 08:40 PM
Now you all got me thinking about it again. I was thinking if I just kept some tension on it when the tide was not to strong it might be OK :-/ :-? I'm going to go buy a couple more of those 2 packs at Daiso Japan for $1.50 or whatever. If I get 2 tangled before I get any fish I will forget about the idea otherwise fish on! [smiley=angling.gif]

MB_Kevin
08-06-2008, 08:43 PM
I use mine on the Dillons beach side at Lawson's. As long as there is a rip tide carrying your line down or up the beach, it is no problem and works well. I just put on a 1 oz weight, throw it out and wait for it to come back up on the beach. My record is five with one cast!

Do you add any bait to the hooks?

CDK
08-07-2008, 05:08 AM
I definitely would. Squid, shrimp or gulp. Also 4 or 6 size hooks that will hold more bait and keep the itty bitty ones off. ;)

surge
08-07-2008, 07:23 AM
I just got back yesterday from fishing the surf and the rig does get mestup almost every cast. The only bite I had was a crab that I snagged but before this I went down to fort baker pier and fishing was hot. I was hooked with something every cast in couple of seconds. Cought some nice perch and anchovies and smelt.

vito
08-07-2008, 09:58 AM
Yes, I put tiny pieces of shrimp on the hooks. The trick is the rip tide. You need a tide at nearly a 45 degree angle to the beach for it to work. I have fished Sabikis many times and have never had a tangle. If the surf (tide/swell) is coming directly back at you it is impossible though.

pinfish
08-07-2008, 10:37 AM
try a float, that's what the smelt fishermen do