PDA

View Full Version : Halibu swimbaits

GottabKevin
07-22-2008, 07:48 AM
What are some good swimbaits for halibuts from piers? any spacific colors?

Feesh-On
07-22-2008, 09:54 AM
I dont know about piers, but for surf fishing MC Swimbaits or FishTraps cant be beat. Smelt/Perch and Anchovy colors are pretty consistent.

ken_fishnfool
07-22-2008, 11:14 AM
4" use a 1/2 oz jighead...
5" use a 3/4 ounce jighead...
In the above mentioned colors plus a fishtrap in "sardine"! ;)
Castmasters with bucktail on the hook work too... :D

scfisher831
07-22-2008, 12:40 PM
Black back with white under belly,green and white,blue and white,all white,black and clear,5" pearl zoom flukes,no more than a 1oz lead head for off the pier.All these have worked for me off the pier and bouncing bottom fishing in a boat for flatties.

vdub
07-22-2008, 03:59 PM
1. http://www.swimbait.com/bighammer/hps50063.htm
2. http://www.swimbait.com/bighammer/hps50100.htm
3. http://www.swimbait.com/bighammer/hps50010.htm
4. http://www.swimbait.com/bighammer/hps50034.htm
5. http://www.swimbait.com/bighammer/hps50009.htm

tattooedfish1
07-22-2008, 04:22 PM
ok,gotta ask.....been wanting to know but didnt wanna sound stupid,but I gotta know.....whats a fish trap...pics anyone?thanks

vdub
07-22-2008, 06:41 PM
fishtrap is a brand of swimbait tails just like the links i slapped above.

other brands include big hammer and mc

yammamoto and some other companies makes em too but they're not as good.

GT
07-23-2008, 08:03 AM
Hey vdub, which size Big Hammer do you prefer to throw here in the bay area? I’ve seen guys throwing the monster 6 ˝ inch on the coast. I mostly throw the 4” in the BAY (for bass and halibut) but looking to purchase some 5” and 5 ˝” ones. What lead head brands to you prefer and is it colored? I’ve had good success with non-colored heads from Owner and Kalins but often wonder if the head was white, red, yellow, or some other color; my hit ratio might increase.

Has anyone tried the new Berkely Hollow Swimbaits? They swim great and are good to use along rocky structure or kelp. Check out this video of the hollow bait: http://youtube.com/watch?v=xfrmV3zJ_Ow

Feesh-On
07-23-2008, 08:34 AM
Hey vdub, which size Big Hammer do you prefer to throw here in the bay area? I’ve seen guys throwing the monster 6 ˝ inch on the coast. I mostly throw the 4” in the BAY (for bass and halibut) but looking to purchase some 5” and 5 ˝” ones. What lead head brands to you prefer and is it colored? I’ve had good success with non-colored heads from Owner and Kalins but often wonder if the head was white, red, yellow, or some other color; my hit ratio might increase.

Has anyone tried the new Berkely Hollow Swimbaits? They swim great and are good to use along rocky structure or kelp. Check out this video of the hollow bait: http://youtube.com/watch?v=xfrmV3zJ_Ow

Didnt mean to answer for VDub and my response is a bit off the mark anyways, but people not really familiar with the different mfg's here should know a couple things about each.

Big Hammer - Well made, tough plastic swimbaits. They come in a variety of sizes. I believe they are called big hammer becuase of the tail...a pretty good sized square or hammer. The plastic leading up to the tail is thin so that big square gets a lot of movement.

FishTrap - Much different plastic used and mold obviously. The tails are not as big and the plastic leading up to the tail is not as "loose" (didnt know what word to use here because 'flimsy' sounds cheap and Big Hammers are anything but cheap...in fact I prefer their plastic over others). Smaller bellys than the Big Hammers and smaller face. These have been fish killers for a long time.

MC Swimbaits - My personal favorite. Great plastic, comperable to Big Hammer. Almost a cross between the fishtrap and the big hammer as far as belly size - tail stiffness and tail size.

In truth you cant go wrong with any of these baits - they have all caught trophy fish over and over again.

vdub
07-23-2008, 10:04 AM

4" or 5" is perfect. anything bigger is really pushing it. and if you dont get any bites on 4-5, then you can even downgrade to 3". the only time i throw anything bigger than 5 is when there is a school of small fish killing everything, so you throw a bigger beast for the big mommas.

leadhead wise you have a few options

1. leadmaster (they come in clear clamshells with yellow tape). you can find them at some places up here, but the guy is based out of long beach i think. i met him before, real nice guy. but their prices are a jack. they come colored with eyes or no color with eyes or no color no eyes.

2. big hammer heads, are expensive as hell (i exaggerate, really they are just a bit more than leadmaster) too, but they're built really nicely. but how they are build doesnt matter once you come face to face with some rocky bottom. ive bought some, not worth it in my opinion.

3. this is my favorite option. brad and son's tackle ebay. look this guy up, i think he's based out of Oklahoma. he pours lead out of his house and really knows his lead. uncolored, uneyed leadheads are cheap because they come in bulk, and he can also ship a lot for only 5.99, after you purchase multiple items, talk to him about it and he can deal with the shipping costs and send you a final invoice. i buy my 3/8, 1/2, 3/4, and 1 all from him, then i also buy his flat prizm eyes, and finally buy some protec powder jig paint, you you're in business. ive done the math, price per leadhead is half the cost of hammer head or lead master, and you get 10x the customization.

the reason why i carry 4 different kinds of leadheads is because FT and MC 4" swimbaits only fit the 1/2 oz, but the BH 4" fit the 3/4". if you look at the shapes, BH actually has 2 shapes, 1 with a fat head and 1 with a big belly and smaller head. To me, they are 2 different baits, to be thrown at different times, but that's REALLY going into it

and i've never used the basstrix style swimbaits you have there. always wanted to try it but had no use for it

Feesh-On
07-23-2008, 10:07 AM

4" or 5" is perfect. anything bigger is really pushing it. and if you dont get any bites on 4-5, then you can even downgrade to 3". the only time i throw anything bigger than 5 is when there is a school of small fish killing everything, so you throw a bigger beast for the big mommas.

leadhead wise you have a few options

1. leadmaster (they come in clear clamshells with yellow tape). *you can find them at some places up here, but the guy is based out of long beach i think. i met him before, real nice guy. but their prices are a jack. they come colored with eyes or no color with eyes or no color no eyes.

2. big hammer heads, are expensive as hell (i exaggerate, really they are just a bit more than leadmaster) too, but they're built really nicely. but how they are build doesnt matter once you come face to face with some rocky bottom. ive bought some, not worth it in my opinion.

3. this is my favorite option. *brad and son's tackle ebay. look this guy up, i think he's based out of Oklahoma. he pours lead out of his house and really knows his lead. *uncolored, uneyed leadheads are cheap because they come in bulk, and he can also ship a lot for only 5.99, after you purchase multiple items, talk to him about it and he can deal with the shipping costs and send you a final invoice. *i buy my 3/8, 1/2, 3/4, and 1 all from him, then i also buy his flat prizm eyes, and finally buy some protec powder jig paint, you you're in business. *ive done the math, price per leadhead is half the cost of hammer head or lead master, and you get 10x the customization.

the reason why i carry 4 different kinds of leadheads is because FT and MC 4" swimbaits only fit the 1/2 oz, but the BH 4" fit the 3/4". if you look at the shapes, BH actually has 2 shapes, 1 with a fat head and 1 with a big belly and smaller head. *To me, they are 2 different baits, to be thrown at different times, but that's REALLY going into it

and i've never used the basstrix style swimbaits you have there. always wanted to try it but had no use for it

On the money! - this man knows his swimbait/leadhead combos!

GT
07-23-2008, 10:54 AM
Thanks for the swimbait advice vdub and Feesh-On! I mostly fish with fishtraps but have some big hammers and now insterested in giving the MC swimbaits you guys mention a try. Does the MC swimbaits have better movement, profile, and durabilty compared to the BH and FT? Again, thanks for the advice guys...I will give the EBay guy a buzz on his lead heads and make some custom jigs.

Feesh-On
07-23-2008, 11:09 AM
Thanks for the swimbait advice vdub and Feesh-On! I mostly fish with fishtraps but have some big hammers and now insterested in giving the MC swimbaits you guys mention a try. Does the MC swimbaits have better movement, profile, and durabilty compared to the BH and FT? Again, thanks for the advice guys...I will give the EBay guy a buzz on his lead heads and make some custom jigs.

I wouldnt pick one over the other - other than if you have confidence throwing one or the other. They all work - different situations like Vdub said. Pick up a few from each mfg. and use them.. you'll see what we are hinting at or trying to say... :)

Pay attention to the part of Vdub's quote I bolded.. that alone will determine what bait you use sometimes...

All 3 of them are great baits.

vdub
07-23-2008, 11:42 AM
alright it sounds like we want to "get into it" now hahaha

if you ask me, i would pick mc or bh over FT, just because they are slightly fatter, but that is just me. and my choice of mfg is dependent on what i am buying it for. take "bay smelt" for example, may favorite color for bays (san francisco, mission, san diego alike). if i am going to fish the bays from shore, i would prefer a 3-4" mc or ft. but if i am going to be on a boat, i would try my best to pick up the 4" BH too because then i can slap a custom yellow red eyed 3/4oz head on that, and send it to the bottom with ease

tattooedfish1
07-23-2008, 06:03 PM
VDUB,THANKS FOR THE INFO,HAD NO CLUE IT WAS JUST A SWIM BAIT, I REMEMBER WAY BACK WHEN THE ONLY BRAND I SAW WAS WORM KING ANCHOVIE AND HERRING ,TOOK EM ON THE BOATS DOWN IN LA AND WAS KNOCKING OUT JUST ABOUT ANYTHING SWIMMING......LOTS OF FUN.ANYWAYS THANKS AGAIN.

ken_fishnfool
07-24-2008, 12:31 PM
As to jig heads I've found a little time spent on customizing them really pays off for life of bait (whichever you prefer).
I ALWAYS file down the baitholding shank barb to accomodate the thinner body/head baits I prefer (some come way too thick and too much barb, and a drop of super-glue does wonders on a fresh bait). Color also does really matter at times! I bring a selection of basic solid head colors with me each trip. Sometimes just plain lead is fine...but targeting bigger fish...white, yellow, chartruese, red, or blue, can make your day! ;)
Eyes are a whole 'nother regime...some of my buds swear by the prisms... some swear by the wiggly shakey googley eyes...I just fish what I have! I believe the tail action is the most important! (I've caught good fish on jigs that the eyes have been knocked completely off of)...

GT
07-24-2008, 02:23 PM
Good info there Ken. I’ll make a batch of multi-colored ones with various eyes. I never thought of putting those googley eyes. On a side note…do any of you swimbait fanatics use sent such as smelly jelly or procure? I tried liquid Pro-Cure and I really didn’t see an improvement in my catches versus guys that didn’t use any. My thinking is that it couldn’t hurt to use a scent. What do you guys think?

nayr
07-24-2008, 06:36 PM
white fish trap ;D ;Dhttp://img92.imageshack.us/img92/1903/halibuteo9.th.jpg (http://img92.imageshack.us/my.php?image=halibuteo9.jpg)

vdub
07-24-2008, 10:01 PM
Good info there Ken. *I’ll make a batch of multi-colored ones with various eyes. I never thought of putting those googley eyes. *On a side note…do any of you swimbait fanatics use sent such as smelly jelly or procure? I tried liquid Pro-Cure and I really didn’t see an improvement in my catches versus guys that didn’t use any. My thinking is that it couldn’t hurt to use a scent. What do you guys think?

i dont have the persistence to reapply after every 5 casts to know the difference. all i know is, i use unibutter www.unigoop.com and i basically use it to cover up my odors.

Feesh-On
07-25-2008, 08:17 AM
white fish trap ;D ;Dhttp://img92.imageshack.us/img92/1903/halibuteo9.th.jpg (http://img92.imageshack.us/my.php?image=halibuteo9.jpg)

Great pic!!! The big flattie, Bridge in the backround and on one of the baits mentioned!

Niiiice!

ken_fishnfool
07-28-2008, 03:53 PM
This past Sat. I was one of two from the whole boat fishing plastics only, no bait, no scent. (I know your question was pier/halibut but this applies too! Salt is potluck always!!) I caught 4 of the biggest 6 fish (rockcod / lings) to the boat and my only scent was cigarette smoke (NOT recomended) and silver bullets (to each his own over 21 years of age). I didn't even pull out rattles or any other secret! Basic fishtrap (secret color, one of two I tried and it worked, so I didn't explore further) with prism decal eyes on the plain head.
The only halibut (22 pounds) came in on shrimp flies with squid (not mine but...WOO HOO I was real happy for thet guy!).
Sometimes the googlie eyes make a difference, sometimes the head color makes a difference, sometimes rattles make a difference, this time it was only the jigging action making the BIG difference! ;) :)

SWEET BUTT DUDE!!! Traps work!

nayr
07-28-2008, 04:09 PM
wish I could take the credit for it... Thats my brothers fish. I was so jealous.. haha thanks though [smiley=strawberry.gif]