PDA

View Full Version : Sturgeon in wierd places!?!?

Ugbomb
07-20-2008, 06:30 PM
Lets just say I was along the hayward/san leandro shoreline and I saw one of the biggest sturgeon I have EVER seen in real life. :( It kept jumping off of shore about 200 yards out. I was fishing for shark and when I saw it jump I almost had a heart attack! Im 6'4'' and this thing was about as wide and long as I am. I have never heard of sturgeon being on the hayward side in the shallows. All I have to say is I NEED a boat or kayak or something that will float so I can gett a couple hundred yards out. It was amazing! :D Has anyone ever heard of this? :(

BIG_ONE
07-20-2008, 08:40 PM
sturgeon can be all over, 6'4" sturgeon, thats a nice size, but the real babes are double the size...and triple the weight ;D

Ugbomb
07-20-2008, 09:04 PM
I just never heard of them being this shallow or on the shoreline south of the marina. Im so tripped out by this. It was such a massive fish. I mean when it jumped out it was like someone dropped a huge telephone pole right into the water about 120 yards out. Im still amped up about this. :D

BIG_ONE
07-20-2008, 11:45 PM
yeah, they can go super shallow, traveling all over up and down, i was watching a clip on youtube, some local fisherman catching quite good number of sturgeon, forgot which river, but its almost like the smith, trinity, and klamath, just wider version of it, and it looks about 10ft the most, average 5ft, its basically looking like a trout stream, and they are nailing em!
Makes me believe sturgies go up super shallow water ;D

dandeuce
07-21-2008, 01:32 PM
Fished for the years ago at Alviso , they were thick in there and that place is nothing but shallow mud flats .

Dday
07-21-2008, 03:35 PM
WOW!! Sounds like a nice one :o

I always target Dino's.. I usually fish for them catch and release.. I have landed some good size one from the bank in about 15ft of water... All depends on weather, food sourve that is avail at the time etc... They are a blast to fish in shallow's with light tackle!!!!! ;D ;)

gomezfish
07-21-2008, 07:33 PM
there in those waters year round , in the summer though its harder to catch um cuz sharks and rays usually find the bait before a sturgeon does , i would fish the same area your fishing in the winter when the herring are spawning , you might hook into one

Ugbomb
07-21-2008, 08:17 PM
They were a couple hundred yards off shore. I don't think I can make it to them without an anchored kayak or something. Its depressing seeing something that awsome just out of your reach. :(

CDK
07-21-2008, 08:37 PM
They were a couple hundred yards off shore. I don't think I can make it to them without an anchored kayak or something. Its depressing seeing something that awsome just out of your reach. :(
That is where you saw them jumping, that does not mean they were not swimming a lot closer to the shore. ;)

Ugbomb
07-21-2008, 09:37 PM
With my pole I can only cast maybe at the most 30 yards on a good cast with no wind. This monster was about 80 to one hundred yards when it jumped. I checked the topo for this area and at hight tide its maybe 12 ft at the most in the area it jumped. A day later im still pumped up about it. The fact that I needed a Kayak to gain 50 yards on a cast isnt a reason to say it wasnt far from shore. :P

BIG_ONE
07-21-2008, 10:48 PM
sturgeon fishing on a kayak, man its going to be a lot of waiting so, might not be a good idea to use a kayak, and especially when you hooked on a 6ft sturg, that thing is going to pull you all over the place ;D

Ugbomb
07-22-2008, 08:56 PM
Tie a nylon line to a log on shore from the kayak. ;) All I need is 150 yards and a couple of floats for the line. ::)

gomezfish
07-22-2008, 09:29 PM
get a aluminum boat without a outboard and transport it in the bed of a truck , then carry it down into the bank and use a trolling motor to get to the area that u think is 12 feet and fish that it!!

thats what i use to do
i see 12 foot alums all day on craigslist for like 300$

Ugbomb
07-22-2008, 09:37 PM
Im looking for a v hulled skiff. Little thing, but with the way rent, gas and food is I can't afford to buy one. I wish i had a boat. I would even get a trailer hitch for my volvo s40. heheheh. Oh well. I still have that image of the splash that the monster made. Someday. :(

BIG_ONE
07-22-2008, 09:37 PM
Tie a nylon line to a log on shore from the kayak. ;) All I need is 150 yards and a couple of floats for the line. ::)

I don't know, 150 yards might not do, 6' sturg can rip out 200 yards easy, especially in open water, and also sturgy are bottom feeder, how are you going to attach that float and make it sit on the bottom? Or are you going to attach when you have a fish on :o ::) ;D 8-)

Ugbomb
07-22-2008, 09:40 PM
Heheheheh I meant a nylon rope from the kayak to the shore tied to a log or something so I don't ged dragged out to open water and my death. Wouldn't that be a way to go? :o I really think there in this spot for the shrimp population. Oh and worms. :(

BIG_ONE
07-22-2008, 09:51 PM
well, it may do...but a boat would be better, how are you going to take a pic with that thang!!! Also might be boring sitting on a kayak waiting for it to take a bite...going to be long, and possibly hours and hours ;D

Ugbomb
07-22-2008, 09:57 PM
Well I think fisherman are a special type of human being. I used to be in the navy and I wouldn't see land for over 90 days. Didn't bother me. I just think it would be cool just to fight all the different types of fish I hook in this area while sitting in a Kayak 150 yards off shore. Also, anchored from shore. Using rope. Big sharks too. I think they breed in this area. Always getting females in August with bite marks on ther fins. :(

CDK
07-23-2008, 07:16 AM
Tie a sea anchor to yak. :D

Dday
07-23-2008, 08:56 AM
That yak idea sounds fun!!! Just make sure to have a life vest on and HOLD ON!!!!! [smiley=yikes.gif] its gonna by like water ski's!!!

CDK
07-23-2008, 06:43 PM
Many years age a couple of cousins and I were bank fishing the delta near RV.
We heard a lot of noise coming from downstream around the bend. Soon this guy in a itty bitty boat comes past us hollering "fish on" rod with a big bend in it. About 10 minutes same noise and same guy hollering at the top of his lungs and out of site down river.
Never heard what the out come was but the guys at the launch were sure talking about that guy. Every one said that the last they saw was him heading for the bay.
Somehow that came to mind thinking about you fishing from a yak. after all those years. ;D

FisherBoats
07-23-2008, 10:37 PM
Many years age a couple of cousins and I were bank fishing the delta near RV.
We heard a lot of noise coming from downstream around the bend. Soon this guy in a itty bitty boat comes past us hollering "fish on" rod with a big bend in it. About 10 minutes same noise and same guy hollering at the top of his lungs and out of site down river.
Never heard what the out come was but the guys at the launch were sure talking about that guy. Every one said that the last they saw was him heading for the bay.
Somehow that came to mind thinking about you fishing from a yak. after all those years. ;D

they had an article about a guy that caught a huge sturgeon on a kayak and was dragged far far away from where he originated. I don't know if i got the article from here or a online news.

CDK
07-24-2008, 11:05 AM
This also comes to mind. ;D
http://texasyaks.files.wordpress.com/2007/02/shark-kayak.jpg