PDA

View Full Version : Halibut rigs?

GottabKevin
07-13-2008, 01:48 PM
i recently went pier fishing and i tried to catch some halibuts on live anchovies,sardines,and mackerels, but evertime i cast it out the live bait dies after a while. does anyone know where to hook the live bait to keep it alive longer? i tried through the mouth. thanks

-kevin

sjshark
07-13-2008, 05:26 PM
thru the mouth out the nose, if your not doin that already, or maybe your hooks r too big? I use size 1 live bait w/ring hooks from gamakatsu, at berkeley pier they seem to stay alive when I set it up that way

GottabKevin
07-13-2008, 06:43 PM
thanks. you could get the hooks from a regular walmart right?

nayr
07-13-2008, 07:10 PM
i have never fished live anchovies from a pier but what I noticed from the guys who do Is as sjshark said hook them up through the front of the mouth and out the nose. also from what ive seen they dont cast out the bait, they either drop it straight down or kind uf swing/flip the bait out. Anchovies are just frail

and oh yeah they have live bait gamakatsu hooks at walmart..
Where have you been fishing at? :)

GottabKevin
07-13-2008, 07:45 PM
i recently moved to socal about 3 months ago and they have this pier call Hermosa beach pier. its like the berkelt pier of norcal with all the halibuts coming from there.

juskickinit
07-13-2008, 09:59 PM
in my opinion i feel unlucky with the gamakatsu live bait hook. and i dont get as many bites. idk something about the ring i dont like. i use a all purpose bait hook or octopus hook by owner size 1 or 1/0 black or red. tied with a loop knot with 20 to 30 lb leader. length of the leader is around 2ft conecting with a 3 way swivel. then i hook it through the nose where that white bubble is. and you can either drop or underhand toss for some distance.

aznboi320
07-14-2008, 03:01 AM
When i go to the pier i see people hooking perch from the back? how is it done?

juskickinit
07-14-2008, 10:46 AM
you can also use shiner perch. usually caught on the peir itself. you just look for the top fin and just put your hook threw the body. enough space so the hook wont rip out. but be sure not to hit the spine cause it will die