PDA

View Full Version : squid off the santa cruz pier?????

tattooedfish1
07-07-2008, 07:35 AM
I heard people are catchin them by the bucket ,anybody been out there?love to take my kid jiggin for em but Im about an hour and 15 away and dont wanna waste the gas if theres nothing goin on. I just want him to catch something. ;)

vdub
07-07-2008, 07:49 PM
man i would have to dust out my old glow jigs and my light torch

tattooedfish1
07-07-2008, 09:01 PM
I read it in a fish report from one the papers............just wondering if its still going on? :-?

scfisher831
07-07-2008, 11:07 PM
negative.the bait sainers came in and wiped it out.when the squid has shown up the sainers(bait boats) out of Mosslanding are on it so fast its gone the next day.you can see them at nite with their brite lights on and scooping up the squid >:(,but on the other hand the big ghost's(seabass) have shown up.some 50lbers have be hooked out in deeper water.

haps95076
07-08-2008, 11:47 AM
You might not get squid but there is a lot of anchovies and the sardines are moving in. So your kid will stay busy catching them all day.

the water is great and the big fish are starting to come in.... ;D ;D ;D

tattooedfish1
07-09-2008, 04:30 PM
thanks all for the info!! ;)Ihad my son learning casting in the yard and reeling in the fish(me) so I gotta make a trip that way...Keep the updates coming if you got anything else. ;Dthanks again

vinhle68
07-09-2008, 10:46 PM
I was out on the santa cruz pier last Monday and we had a great time catching a bunch of jacksmelt and mackerel. The guy next to us was jigging and landing one or two squid. I was going for Halibut using some of the small size jacksmelt for bait but did not had any luck. Regardless it was a fun day of fishing to end the long July 4th weekend. :-)

MB_Kevin
07-10-2008, 06:19 AM
When I was there last year the guys at the end were nailing mackerel on the end using light weight gear and a bobber. I looked fun. They would just throw it in and you would see all the mackerel swarm the bait and take it. That would be fun for a kid...Or adult.
I'm not sure if they are there now or not but I would try it.
Good luck.

blue_floater
07-10-2008, 09:54 AM
As Master Baiter said, last year by this time the Mackerel fishing was off-the-hook. We would use a big bobber followed by a glowstick (yes the camping glow sticks!), followed by a Sabiki Rig (hook size 4-6), and last a 1oz weight. Use Anchovies, Squid, or shrimp (in that order) in small bits. One night last year a buddy and I caught over 30 macks each in 2 hours.

Went to the pier last night to fish for macks. Nothing just a bunch of smelt. Buddy of mine has been out the last few weeks and has only been catching smelts using the same rig we use for macks.

I have been hearing the same is true for the Monterey Municipal Wharf? No mackerel out there either...

Back to LM Bass fishin!

h00kie
07-10-2008, 11:05 AM
Hey blue floater you must have been in that group that we saw on the wharf last night. Interesting glow stick set-up. The kids thought it was cool seeing glow sticks fly off the wharf and bob on the water.

Most of the buckets that we saw as we walked the wharf only had 'chovies and smelts. We did not see a single mack.

Toxic_Waste
07-10-2008, 11:36 AM
Man I would LOVE to catch some market squid off a pier. I didn't know you could fish at night off most piers, or was this squid catch during the day?

Am wondering what the catch quota is (if there is any) for the commercial seiners who are out there scooping up massive quantities of baitfish. I know that there have been times when it seemed like the entire Monterey Bay was boiling with bait balls, especially in the area off the Moss Landing Harbor, and after seeing the bait seiners circle around for a few days, we couldn't locate any bait balls on the finder. Just wondering how many baitfish they actually remove. Surely they must have quotas, since baitfish are an important part of the food chain for predator species. :-?

blue_floater
07-11-2008, 09:08 AM
Yeah Hookie I was there with the big group of folks. My buddy invited his family out. Not a single mack all night...Was wondering where the heck they are this year? We usually go out once a week so I will be sure to report the mack bite for u guys.

Another set-up that works good for the kids is using a small fishing glow-stick and tying on a single size 6-8 hook with a 1' lead. Toss the bait out and let the rig slowly sink. When you get bit you can see the light stick taking off underwater...pretty cool for the kids...hehe even adults!

żżż
07-11-2008, 10:11 AM
Are you guys using glow sticks during the day, or at night? Sounds like a fun way to keep the young'ins interested. Heck, I'd enjoy it too!
Gonna bring some glow sticks with me next time...

Yeah Hookie I was there with the big group of folks. *My buddy invited his family out. *Not a single mack all night...Was wondering where the heck they are this year? * We usually go out once a week so I will be sure to report the mack bite for u guys.

Another set-up that works good for the kids is using a small fishing glow-stick and tying on a single size 6-8 hook with a 1' lead. *Toss the bait out and let the rig slowly sink. *When you get bit you can see the light stick taking off underwater...pretty cool for the kids...hehe even adults!

bassmanben
07-11-2008, 11:47 AM
Are you guys using glow sticks during the day, or at night? *Sounds like a fun way to keep the young'ins interested. *Heck, I'd enjoy it too!
Gonna bring some glow sticks with me next time...

Glow sticks are definitely more of a nighttime thing. They are not quite so glowy during the day, since macks are usually not that deep in the water. they are not completely necessary, but they are fun anyways =). my only issue with people using them is I worry if they break off then they would drop to the bottom of the sea.

I have caught tons of macks without glowsticks, sometimes outfishing those who do. strips of bloody mackerel are the best bait ever for other macks.

blue_floater
07-11-2008, 11:51 AM
I find it doesnt really matter if you use the glow sticks or not. Just like the post above me, I've had just as good luck without one than with one. I think its just a fun way for the kids to fish, watching the stick take off underwater.