PDA

View Full Version : Salt Point (6-14-08)(PICS)

RockRob
06-14-2008, 09:17 PM
I went out to Salt Point State Park this morning to go hit up the rocks. *I had my line out by 7:30. *Right away I had a bite and reeled in a nice 16in kelp greenling. *On my second cast I caught another greenling, this one being 17in. *I started to worry that I was only going to hook up with greenlings after I just got my limit of two. *After a little pause in the action I got a large hit and yanked in my first ever lingcod. *It was quite hard to get it onto the rocks I was fishing from which were about 15 feet above the surf. *I measured it and it came out to 25.5 inches. *I next caught a black and yellow, and two more greenlings which I threw back. *I left by 11:30 after what I consider an excellent day of fishing.
http://img102.imageshack.us/img102/2618/s7300219up9.jpg
http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/9713/s7300237dn6.jpg

Ugbomb
06-14-2008, 09:25 PM
Reminds me of the days at the entrance of Humboldt Bay. South Jetty.

MB_Kevin
06-14-2008, 09:57 PM
Sweet, Thanks for sharing 8-)

chagovatoloco
06-15-2008, 05:44 PM
Nice job!

drinkin_buddy
06-15-2008, 07:07 PM
Nice catch!...where is Salt Point Park?

RockRob
06-15-2008, 07:17 PM
Salt Point State Park is located along the Sonoma County coast of Northern California. It's a pretty popular place for abalone divers during the ab season. The whole coast is covered with rocks and kelp forests making it a great habitat for all sorts of rockfish.

realdeal
06-15-2008, 09:56 PM
nice ling! ;)

OHV
06-23-2008, 04:44 PM
Those are some nice fish. I fish that area frequently but usually I go up to Point Arena Pier. Some nice fishing up there also, did you just use calamari? or something more exotic like ab guts?

Thanks,

RockRob
06-24-2008, 02:04 PM
I was using squid as I always use. *I have caught a few nice grass rockfish on anchovies up here before too. I try to fish up here as much as possible but I live a good 2 to 2.5 hours away. *Never tried ab guts but I've heard its excellent bait especially for cabs. *Next time I go ab diving I'll be sure to save some guts, even though the stuff is absolutely disgusting.

fish_killer
06-24-2008, 02:45 PM
Nice catch!
I've never really fished off the rocks before. Don't you get snagged a lot? How does one rig up for rock fishing?

RockRob
06-24-2008, 05:10 PM
When fishing the rocks, be sure to bring a lot of tackle. *You normally will lose some. *The rigs I use for shore rockfishing are similar to the surf leaders you buy in stores. *They are simple high low leaders that I like to make myself. *The recommended method for sinkers are using sand bags. *That way, if the sand bag gets hung up, it will just rip away. *A way I normally use, though probably a waste of money on lead weights, is I tie a small piece of lightweight 4 or 6lb test line at the end of my leader and attach the lead sinker. *If the sinker guts hung up, the lightweight line just breaks and I still have my hooks. For line I have never really had many problems using 20lb test. I like to use 30lb test for my leaders. *I have read of people using extremely heavy braided line to cast into the middle of kelp forests and ripping through the kelp when retrieving the line. *It sounds like that probably would work, but I haven't tried it as of yet. *I'm sure many other people have different techniques, but those are mine, for now at least.