PDA

View Full Version : Surf Perch, Hot tips or tricks  near Pigeon P

R8R_ROK
06-09-2008, 03:48 PM
I am camping this weekend near Pigeon Point , Anyone familiar with Surf fishing in this area. Any local knowledge would be helpfull.

Thanks
Stacy

ken_fishnfool
06-09-2008, 07:56 PM
The long sany beach just a mile or so south of the point (Butano? Pompano? Something like that, where that restaurant is) usually has plenty this time of year. It depends on the surf and tide, of coarse.
Cut shrimp or casting perch grubs both work.

My tidebook says go pokepoling the tidepools in the cove at dawn and hit the beach starting 6 PM till sundown.
Not what I call primetime perching tides, more like night striper tides, but if you're there... :)

Welcome to the 'sniffer!!

vdub
06-09-2008, 10:23 PM
carolina rig or dropper loop with as light a weight as you can get away with, but you still need to cast it a good distance. I use a medium light rod with a 1/2 ounce weight

baits in order of productiveness for perch specific:
1. gulp camo sandworms in the 2 inch variety
2. fresh bait: squid strips, ghost shrimp, sardine/anchovie/mack chunks in bite size
3. 1 3/4" grubs
4. hardbaits: kastmasters, krocodiles, Lucky crafts, yozurs

2 or 4 might produce something else...

R8R_ROK
06-10-2008, 07:52 AM
Thanks big time. The Sniffer comes through

I am new to surf fishing. I tried it up at Gold Coast OR and had a blast. I caught a bunch of Surf Perch. I used to spear them lwhen I was diving a lot.

Your information will help, If I catch anything I will post pics.

Ciscoskid
06-10-2008, 09:55 AM
An additional question to add to R8R Rok's what type of hooks to people use when fishing with Sand Crab's?

vdub
06-10-2008, 09:28 PM
i use size 6 or 8 mosquitos. i like 6, the have some good sized mouths.

gonefishing650
06-10-2008, 10:13 PM
Has anyone tried the Berkley Gulp Sand Crabs. Are they worth trying

ken_fishnfool
06-11-2008, 06:34 AM
Has anyone tried the Berkley Gulp Sand Crabs. Are they worth trying

I too am curious about them. They LOOK good.
Although I usually just dig up a few real ones...

Sideliner
06-11-2008, 08:22 AM
I have tried the sand crab ones and I have caught a few. But I like using the Camo Sand worms as VDUB says they work great.

R8R_ROK
06-11-2008, 08:33 AM
I am really new to surf fishing,

Anything else I can fish for besides Surf Perch???

Thanks
Stacy

vdub
06-11-2008, 08:43 PM
the sandcrabs are garbage. they're a waste seeing as how you can get real sandcrabs for free and they're more productive.

in socal surf we catch corbinas, yellowfin croakers, halibut, barred and walleye perch, leopard sharks, shovelnose guitarfish aka skates, and rays

but for the most part it's perch.

in norcal surf there is, barred surf perch, red tail perch, stripers, halibut, leopard sharks, rays, skates.

the stripers will bite a worm too if you throw them the 6" model. but that's a big risk, i'd rather throw a swimbait, or a plug. I've caught halibut on the gcsw (gulp camo sand worm). and red tail perch are fun too, they get big

R8R_ROK
06-12-2008, 05:17 AM
the sandcrabs are garbage. they're a waste seeing as how you can get real sandcrabs for free and they're more productive.

in socal surf we catch corbinas, yellowfin croakers, halibut, barred and walleye perch, leopard sharks, shovelnose guitarfish aka skates, and rays

but for the most part it's perch.

in norcal surf there is, barred surf perch, red tail perch, stripers, halibut, leopard sharks, rays, skates.

the stripers will bite a worm too if you throw them the 6" model. but that's a big risk, i'd rather throw a swimbait, or a plug. *I've caught halibut on the gcsw (gulp camo sand worm). and red tail perch are fun too, they get big

Great stuff ,
Thanks again

Fish_R_Us
06-13-2008, 01:42 PM
[quote author=ken_fishnfool link=1213055284/0#1 date=1213070216]The long sany beach just a mile or so south of the point (Butano? Pompano? Something like that, where that restaurant is) usually has plenty this time of year. It depends on the surf and tide, of coarse.

If you are refering to The Gazos Creek beach access that is south of the Gas Station/Restaurant...It's now permanently CLOSED to fishing.

Thanks to the MLPA and the Blue Ribbon Comittee!

ken_fishnfool
06-14-2008, 05:05 AM
[quote author=ken_fishnfool link=1213055284/0#1 date=1213070216]The long sany beach just a mile or so south of the point (Butano? Pompano? Something like that, where that restaurant is) usually has plenty this time of year. It depends on the surf and tide, of coarse.

If you are refering to The Gazos Creek beach access that is south of the Gas Station/Restaurant...It's now permanently CLOSED to fishing.

Thanks to the MLPA and the Blue Ribbon Comittee!

No Kittens??? DANG! Does the closure include the cove and point at Pidgeon Point? What else in the area got Closed? Where can I look it up??

Fish_R_Us
06-16-2008, 09:52 AM
Unfortunately the closure includes all of the area from Ano Nuevo SR up thru and including Franklin Pt. (bummer), and all the way north to Gazos Creek SB. If you look at the DF&G maps, it shows a small strip of red that shows the closed areas. I checked all the parking lots for these areas and Rangers have posted a small fishing symbol with a red circle and slash thru it.

The Pidgeon Point area including the area west of the large dirt parking area (off SR-1) is still open.

drinkin_buddy
06-16-2008, 05:05 PM
I was told that you should put them on ice immediately. The last time I went out I brought a small cooler with ice ready to go. They were tasty!
Was that advice worthy?