PDA

View Full Version : Berkley Pier

MadBrewer
03-29-2008, 07:06 AM
Any reports from there lately?

fogart
03-29-2008, 04:13 PM
Just took a walk out on the pier today. I saw two undersized halibut (both kept illegally) and several stingrays, skate and sharks. Weather was breezy.

MadBrewer
03-29-2008, 09:11 PM
Breezy,....that's what I heard.
Thought about a day & half camp out there but,
heard about the winds.

Thanks

MB_Kevin
03-29-2008, 09:54 PM
I stopped by there the other day around 12pm and I didn't see any fish caught. I didn't walk all the way out to the end but talked to a guy fishing more near the front and he said he didn't see anyone with fish.

MadBrewer
03-29-2008, 11:06 PM
Little surprised,.... used to be a pretty good hodge-podge of fishing depending on what-you-have & what-you're-after type of thing,
though it's been 10-20+ years.

Jerrdirt
03-30-2008, 12:17 PM
It's still a bit early. They'll start biting more once the balls of anchovies roll in. ;)

wading2fish
04-22-2008, 01:06 AM
I was there Mon 4/21 from about 10 till 1 pm when the wind drove me away. I got skunked, my daughter managed a six inch BSP on her little Barbie pole, she's only five and already outfishes me. A guy caught a stingray. no flatties that I could see that day. I was also there on Thur. that day I saw six keepers landed between 25-28". One guy hooked what looked like a keeper on a swim bait right next to the bathroom. he handed the rod to his wife and ran down the pier to borrow a net. he came back, lowered the net right next to the hali, and snap, the hali broke the line just as it was about to go into the net. I like to mostly fish for halis with live bait, but swim baits seem to be catching alot of flatties on the pier.

MB_Kevin
04-22-2008, 06:18 AM
Glad to see you posting Shorethang. Good job on at least getting your daughter on some fish 8-)

SpinReelFisher
04-22-2008, 07:45 AM
I was out there last Wed for nothing. Hooked up once, probably a ray, but it got off. There seemed to be a LOT of crabs out that night. We reeled up at least three all the way on to the pier when changing baits.

I'm planning on heading back out there Friday after work. Anyone else going to try?

(Oh yeah, haven't tried swim baits out there yet....what kind do people recommend?)

chagovatoloco
04-22-2008, 02:13 PM
I went out to the pier for 3 hours yesterday, a lot of crabs. fished a halibut rig and a sturgeon rig with a midshipman. What kind of setups are you guys using on the pier? And how far down where the guys with the halibut? I went across from the cleaning station. Glad to see the sniffer has page for us bankers. boat are great but not on my budget.

SpinReelFisher
04-22-2008, 02:49 PM
There seem to be a LOT more crabs out there than I'm used to seeing. Best bet would be to get that bait off the bottom a little so those annoying things aren't pickin at it and keeping the fish off. Also, I started wrapping a little stretchy thread around the bait. It actually worked pretty well. I was able to get the bait away from the crabs before they stripped it off the hook.

I fish sliding rigs out there mainly...but that's for sharks, rays, and striper. *Sometimes modified rigs with three way swivels and a 15in dropper line. *Or Hi/Lo...but not too often.

I need to start targeting halibut out there now...I haven't bothered before, but I think it's something I could get into. *

wading2fish
04-22-2008, 09:40 PM
Glad to see you posting Shorethang. *Good job on at least getting your daughter on some fish 8-)

Thanks MB,
And likewise, glad to see you a moderator on this new and cool board.

Halibut can be caught anywhere on the BP. The closest one to shore I caught last year was only about twenty yards from the cleaning station, but have seen them caught right at the cleaning station and all along the pier all the way to the very end.
My go-to halibut rig goes like this:
1.adjustable float stop
2.sliding float
3.bead
4.sliding egg sinker about 1/4 oz to 1/2 oz
5.bead
6.barrel swivel and 18" leader (50 lb mono) snelled with 5/0-8/0 octopus hook.
Bait of choice is live bait, perch or jacksmelt if you can catch em or live chovies if you wanna buy em. Frozen chovies or herring can also produce. The trick to using the sliding float rig is to try and suspend your bait about 6-8" off the bottom. This will put the bait out of reach of crabs and right into the butt's strike zone.
I have also caught halis on a single dropper loop rig with the dropper loop about 24" up from the sinker. If there are too many crabs in the area I'll stick with the sliding float rig.
I have seen people land halis with sliding sinker rigs, but I don't use them because they attract sharks and rays more than the other rigs I mentioned above.
As far as swimbaits go, I have not tried them but have seen halis caught with them. The size and color vary, so I guess if you wanna use em you can start with any size and color and experiment from there.
Good luck. and if you don't have a telescoping dip net or hoop net, you can usually borrow one from someone on the pier, because if you hook into a barndoor butt, that's the only way you're gonna bring it up to the pier.

MB_Kevin
04-22-2008, 09:50 PM
Glad to see you posting Shorethang. *Good job on at least getting your daughter on some fish 8-)

Thanks MB,
And likewise, glad to see you a moderator on this new and cool board.

It is a cool new board. I think it was a good idea!

dapainter
04-23-2008, 05:58 AM
I 2nd that,IT was a good Idea ;D

Big_Easy
04-23-2008, 09:15 AM
VERY GOOD IDEA! Now I don't have to look elsewhere! ;D

chagovatoloco
04-23-2008, 08:43 PM
Shorethang, thank you very much for you reply.

wading2fish
04-23-2008, 09:51 PM
anytime vatoloco

on a side note on my second post on this thread. I mentioned the bait of choice as live bait including perch, everyone should be aware that perch season is closed in SF Bay from April thru July 31 EXCEPT for shiner perch which can still be kept and used as bait or food. Everyone should check the regs before they do anykind of fishing to make sure everything they're doing is legal.

GT
04-28-2008, 09:50 AM
The pier kicked butt and stripes! :o
Check it out:

http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/4438/dsc03754jc8.jpg

http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/834/dsc03753rt3.jpg

http://img119.imageshack.us/img119/9528/dsc03747wu0.jpg

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/2264/dsc03739tk4.jpg

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/1476/dsc03757qj5.jpg

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/733/dsc03750ud6.jpg

http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/822/dsc03748pj8.jpg

http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/8115/dsc03756vs0.jpg

Fished Saturday afternoon with several of my buddies on the pier looking for some butt. All I caught was a nice tan while others did very well. I saw about 25 halibut and 10 stripers when I arrived on the pier. I was told more were caught in the morning. Unlike the lucky ones using live-bait, I chose to plug with swim baits and hairraisers. Iíll get mine next time out! 8-)

SpinReelFisher
04-28-2008, 10:23 AM
AHH, that gets my hopes up. I'm planning on getting out there this week. I couldn't make it on Friday like planned.

Nice to see fishing picking up a little out there....

....anyone notice the unnaturally strong smell at the end of the pier lately?? It's about 10x worse than I ever remember!

GT
04-28-2008, 03:05 PM
AHH, that gets my hopes up. *I'm planning on getting out there this week. *I couldn't make it on Friday like planned. *

Nice to see fishing picking up a little out there....

....anyone notice the unnaturally strong smell at the end of the pier lately?? *It's about 10x worse than I ever remember!

I bet it's 100x worse. *;D That's why I stick towards the 1st half of the pier if possible.

MB_Kevin
04-28-2008, 07:52 PM
Wow that is more crowded then I have seen it. I can see why when it is kickin out fish like that. Thanks for the pic I need to get out to the bay!

wading2fish
04-28-2008, 09:04 PM
I was there on Sat for a few hours. I got skunked, the pier was pretty much full. Most of the hookups were on live bait. I was using frozen chovies and also trying to catch live bait. did not get a nibble on my perch/jacksmelt poles at all, baitfish were nowhere to be seen. the halis and stripers were making their presence felt though. I have not seen so many stripers landed on the pier before.

fwa
05-05-2008, 01:53 PM
can you eat the bass and halibut from here? I'd imagine the water is polluted.

Phat_Phisher_209
05-05-2008, 03:24 PM
any reports as of late?? kinda wanna try the pier, have never fished it before

dapainter
05-05-2008, 05:51 PM
Fished there wed,thur,and fri evening evreyday some one had a striper,all being caught on live anchovies.All I caught was rays.10 in three days on pileworms and frozen anchovies :o,not what I came for but the fights were fun,missed three fish didnt even get to see what they were but Im pretty sure they were bigger rays, one I fought for over 25mins almost got him to the pier and he just took off again and that was all she wrote :'(.My advice is to bring the live anchovies or bullheads for the stripers and "butts". ;D GOODLUCK "ps" it is very windy out there right now ,wear some warm clothes if you choose to fight the wind.Best spots for the stripers are the first 50- 100 feet of the pier

GT
05-05-2008, 07:47 PM
Wuzzup dapainter? I knew you looked familiar when I walked up the pier Friday? Butts and stripers are still being caught but now you have to deal with more wind and minus tides. My suggestion to you Phat Phiser 209 is just go out there and give it a try. Talk to some of the folks on the pier and get tips. The majority are more than willing to help you out.

juskickinit
05-13-2008, 07:36 PM
berkley peir is doing really well this year alot of halibut and stripers being pulled up. hey GT its me jerome thx for posting the picture

GT
05-14-2008, 06:51 AM
No problem Jerome! You da ma! I'll bring my camera next time out and hope to take some more pics. BTW, I'll make some prints for you. See you out there.

Tight Lines,
Greg (GT)

MontanaN8V
05-14-2008, 07:39 AM
Question about butt fishin off the pier. Do you cast and let it sit out, or slow retreave your bait back to the pier. Squid strips or frozen sardines/herring? It is my thoughts that halibut do not move that often, and it seems like a 3way and some weight, drag it across the bottom. Am I messed up thinkin like that?

chagovatoloco
05-14-2008, 08:44 AM
Where do you buy those rod holder that are being used on the pier? Are they boat rod holders?

GT
05-14-2008, 08:46 AM
Where do you buy those rod holder that are being used on the pier? Are they boat rod holders?

Most of those rod holders are home made, not store bought. *Get yourself some PVC pipe and some bungee cords and you're set.

GT
05-14-2008, 09:09 AM
Question about butt fishin off the pier. *Do you cast and let it sit out, or slow retreave your bait back to the pier. Squid strips or frozen sardines/herring? *It is my thoughts that halibut do not move that often, and it seems like a 3way and some weight, drag it across the bottom. *Am I messed up thinkin like that?

You have the right concept MontanaN8V. A lot of folks use the three-way setup and cast out live bait from straight down to 20 feet out. Frozen bait doesnít do well due to the crab stealers out there. If fishing with frozen bait, youíll need to use a bobber and float it out. As far as casting and retrieving is concerned, it will work but most just let their bait sit out to get ambushed by Mr. Striper/Halibut/Shark/Ray.

chagovatoloco
05-14-2008, 03:37 PM
off to the hardware store I go

juskickinit
05-14-2008, 07:34 PM
Most of those rod holders are home made, not store bought. Get yourself some PVC pipe and some bungee cords and you're set.
[/quote]

just moddify your PVS with some holes at the bottom to put the bungee cord hooks on so that the hooks dont slide off. one of my friends just had a simple pvc and bungee then it accidently got bumped and the whoel setup fell into the water dont want that to happen. hope this helps

chagovatoloco
05-15-2008, 09:07 AM
Most of those rod holders are home made, not store bought. Get yourself some PVC pipe and some bungee cords and you're set.

just moddify your PVS with some holes at the bottom to put the bungee cord hooks on so that the hooks dont slide off. one of my friends just had a simple pvc and bungee then it accidently got bumped and the whoel setup fell into the water dont want that to happen. hope this helps
[/quote]

do you have a photo?

juskickinit
05-15-2008, 09:23 PM
i acually dont have a photo of a PVC pipe and bungee cord on what we use in berkley peir we use a diferent type of rod holder that we had made. ill try to take pictures of my friends pvc when next time i go fishing

SpinReelFisher
05-16-2008, 11:57 AM
I either just lay the rod up, angled on the railing or I'll stick it in any one of the 1,000 holes that have been put in over the years!

Although, I have heard of people loosing their tackle from it not being "secured" in any way. I personally haven't been subject to that horrible nightmare, and I aim to keep it that way. Actually, I tend to park my chair near the rod and just keep a foot wedged against the butt end. I know, I know....it's totally lazy, but it works.

However, with all that said....after reading the posts....I'm tempted to make some holders! lol Heck, I made (from "scratch") the crazy removable/portable rod holders that are on my pier cart. This should be simple enough! (I'm lazy.....and at work right now.) I bet if I read this when I'm at home, I'll want to make that run to Home Depot myself!!

On a side note, anyone been out there lately? I want to try this weekend, maybe Saturday evening.....

SRF

sjshark
05-16-2008, 09:14 PM
Went last Friday and Sunday, missed some hits, buddy caught a undersize hali, and all along the pier people were catching hali's here and there, one striper too.

chagovatoloco
05-20-2008, 08:20 AM
I went out yesterday. I had no luck but I did see a few butts caught, I also saw a lot of people feeding the crabs. I herd that the live bait guy is there from 7-9 on the week days, but where I could not get an exact answer on how to find him.

GT
05-20-2008, 08:46 AM
Look for the K-dock enterance and walk to the end of the dock to find the bait guy.

chagovatoloco
05-20-2008, 03:59 PM
My mission in life is to catch my firs butt. Thanks for the help GT

MB_Kevin
05-20-2008, 05:19 PM
The bait shop had an open sign out on the sidewalk on the ride in the other afternoon. I didn't go check it out but they might have live bait sometimes. That is the first time I have seen the open sign there.

chagovatoloco
05-20-2008, 05:46 PM
I asked the guy at the bait shop if he carried the anchovies, he is not set up for it yet. Told me to got to the guy at the docks.

chagovatoloco
05-24-2008, 09:01 PM
Any word from the pier to day?

sjshark
05-25-2008, 08:52 PM
guys were catching halibut all along the pier, saw two stripers pulled up 22in. n a undersized, 3/4 down the pier was were they were caught along wit the halibut, saw a bunch but a guy next to me caught a 26" hali all on live chovies

SpinReelFisher
05-27-2008, 07:49 AM
I know where the "bait guy" is....but what bait shop are you talking about? The one in Berk?

chagovatoloco
05-27-2008, 08:49 PM
The one that was just remodeled it is as you dive in, on the left.

eliasnasr
06-10-2008, 10:28 PM
Hi, I am new to pier fishing, and had a few questions about rigging live anchovies and where to fish along the pier for 'buts. Windy side or not? Frozen chovies perch. I'm going out on thursday and a advice would be greatly appreciated.

chagovatoloco
06-11-2008, 08:36 AM
I fish with a slip bobber, and I use which ever side blows it away from the pier. Hook the anchovies through the lip and let em swim :)