PDA

View Full Version : dumbarton pier??

Phat_Phisher_209
04-23-2008, 12:21 AM
anyone have any advice for a rookie pier fisherman?? first time fishing the dumbarton bridge pier. looking for sturgeon, sharks or rays. either way i just want to hook up for a good fight! thanks guys!!

pp209

fisheone
04-23-2008, 11:44 AM
When I lived in Mt View back in the 80's I use to fish the palo alot side all the time. *I regularly caught rays and leopards. *Best bait I found was fresh, never frozen squid. *Frozen just was not nearly as good. *I used a sturgeon rig. *After awhile, I started making my own. *I would first use any big heads. *However, the bodies work great too. *But what I would do was slice up the open/bottom part like squid tentacles. *On the palo alto side in order to get the bait into the channel I had to use big weights. *I want to say like 8-12 oz. *You need a good 12' surf rod to be able to fling it way out there. *On the palo alto side you could not cast straight out because there was still old bridge out there. *I always did good on the incoming tide. So keep an eye on the tides and get out there early. *I never had patience for fishing sturgeon because the rays and leopards were plentifull. *I did target them once and caught two, with one keeper. *I use to catch fresh shrimp while fishing. *I took a bucket and drilled like 1 inch holes all around then tie some bait (squid) at the bottom with a brick. *drop it down and check it out every now and then for fresh shrimp for sturgeon. Not good at all for stripers out there. There are definetly sturgeon out there. Not sure on the other side though. Im pretty sure you can use two poles. So use two different baits or target rays/sharks and sturgeon. I gotta emphasize you want to get your bait way out in the channel. I use to buy these weights that have these copper wires on the bottom that you bend like hooks so they can hang on the bottom because the current really flows. I'm thinking that april and may were really good. also, I had a bike with a child seat on the back to put my tackle on and I would sling my poles over my back. saves time walking out there. I would love to fish out there again but the pa side is closed. Not sure if the other side is the same.

Phat_Phisher_209
04-23-2008, 06:18 PM
where do u get fresh squid from??

fisheone
04-23-2008, 08:00 PM
Well I guess it was fresh cause it wasn't frozen. I would buy it at Asian food stores that sold sea food. Try and get the ones with big heads. Also, if you want to keep your fish you can use a crab net but even better is the weighted gaff that you tie to a rope. You don't have to gaff the fish, just get it in their gills and pull them up. I let the rays go but when you drop them back down they hit hard. I hope they survived. Another thing as you probably know is that it gets real windy out there so bring a good jacket and stick it out. There are many times you don't catch anything but there are probably more times you will get 1-3 rays/sharks. Winter is a good time for sturgeon especially if it rains a lot and there are big tides.

Phat_Phisher_209
04-23-2008, 10:05 PM
thanks fisheone! hopefully we sting em' out there i'll up date ya after the trip.

wading2fish
04-23-2008, 10:07 PM
just wondering if anyone has ever targeted and caught halibut on this pier?

overthehill
05-06-2008, 04:59 PM
fisheone,

The east side Dumbarton Pier is open. I haven't had time to do much fishing there lately...work..work..work.. but there are fish. Bring a surfpole 7/8 oz weight or more and you have to hit the channel or your not going to get any action. My guess right now is that there are rays/sharks. Check the other posts for striper action and maybe sturgeon if your lucky.

MB_Kevin
05-06-2008, 07:29 PM
fisheone,

you have to hit the channel or your not going to get any action. .

*I would agree with that because at low tide it is soooo shallow on that area of the bay. *I can't really see shore fishing over there. *I see people do it sometimes a higher tide by the San Mateo bridge and they must be fishing in 1-2 foot of water. * :o *Not that that is bad because I tried it once myself before I realized how low it was there.

fishingrick57
05-07-2008, 11:38 AM
fisheone,

you have to hit the channel or your not going to get any action. .

*I would agree with that because at low tide it is soooo shallow on that area of the bay. *I can't really see shore fishing over there. *I see people do it sometimes a higher tide by the San Mateo bridge and they must be fishing in 1-2 foot of water. * :o *Not that that is bad because I tried it once myself before I realized how low it was there.

I have to disagree partially with this. Yes during low tide you need to head to the end of the pier, but during high tides you can post out anywhere on the pier and have luck. During the incoming tide is the best to catch rays, outgoing for the sharks. I used to fish this pier daily until I found some shore spots that produce more consistantly.... ;)

Also I have caught plenty of sharks in less than 2 ft of water, even got a shovel nose from mid pier during low tide. And dont froget about the perch out there either. Most of the time there in the shallows too :)

Good luck!!!!

fishingrick57
05-07-2008, 11:43 AM
Phat phisher, there is a place on Jarvis in Newark right down the street from the entrance to the pier where you can get all types of bait. Bobs liquer the place, also some crocery stores cary a big blue box of squid, look for it in the frozen food section...

MB_Kevin
05-07-2008, 06:51 PM
I have never fished that pier. I was just saying from driving over the bridge at low tide it is a shallow area.
Thanks for all the info. I need to stop by and fish it one day.

Keating
05-14-2008, 10:33 PM
I walk the pier at lunch a couple times a month at least, *Where I see the most action is about 2/3 thirds of the way out on the pier.
That action is sharks and rays
I do talk with people at the end trying to fish the channel. They say they catch sturgeon out there

Jetspray
05-20-2008, 07:52 AM
I once saw a guy drop a line with bait from the centerspan of the DB bridge and ride his bike back down then throw the spool to someone on the pier. Don't know if it was legal but it was inventive to get to the channel.....Jetspray

chagovatoloco
05-22-2008, 02:04 PM
What every works ;D