PDA

View Full Version : Bolinas Fishing

Dreadnaught
05-06-2008, 10:34 AM
Hello,

My family and I rented a beach house at Bolinas for the Memorial weekend. We've never been there and am looking for any fishing ideas with my son (11). I have read on the forum fishing for sharks at the inlet. Can you crab there? Is there fishing by the reef? What about beach fishing for perch there or at Stinson?

Thanks for any advice! Were just looking to have some fun. ;D

MontanaN8V
05-06-2008, 11:47 AM
Good crabbing for rock and dungies at the inlet at the concrete wall. High tide only at slack. Sharks at inlet during slack. Or, go back to hw1 and fish one of the channels along the road for incoming/outgoing tide. Use squid for bait, they have it in the market there at Stinson beach.

gomezfish
05-07-2008, 07:20 PM
people catch perch too at the inlet

drinkin_buddy
05-13-2008, 07:05 PM
Went to the inlet today and spent a few hours on the incoming tide...what a beautiful day! I used a crab snare and caught two nice red crab while soaking squid for the leopards. Unfortunately I didn't get any leopards but I will be back to change that. I let the crab go because two of those guys isn't much for a meal for me and the wife. It's been a while since I have gone saltwater fishing and now I have the bug, I will come back...and with garlic butter ready at the homestead!

slowriprun
05-14-2008, 03:29 PM
Hey,

I've been fishing the bo lagoon since the early 80s. As a kid, your son's age, I'd catch the number one bus over the mountain almost every weekend to fish for sharks and rays. It's a great place for a kid to get into a large fish and have the fight of his early life.

While it is true that you can catch sharks with squid, chovies or sardines, it's just not the way to go. It took me toooo long to figure out that the secret is midshipmen. Yes they cost more and can be hard to find, but the quality and numbers of BIG sharks that you will take easily pays off. And there are some really nice size sharks to be taken out of Bo.

Fishing the inlet is one way to go, but I like to move down into the lagoon; it use to be wide open to the public, but now it's a little tougher, but still possible.

For the midshipmen, before you go over the mountain, drive into San Rafael and go to Lochlomond Bait shop. The owner Keith is a great guy and great fishermen or maybe you should call ahead and be sure he has some. It's also a great floating tackle shop for the boy.

good luck and if you have any questions feel free.

drinkin_buddy
05-14-2008, 04:52 PM
I have no problem going into the lagoon area but I will have to poke around some because that whole area is new to me. Using Midshipmen for bait would also be a first. I am not opposed to spending for the bait because the payoff is big like you say. I understand the importance of having the quality and correct bait for the moment as I have learned this while sturgeon fishing. I was wondering though, how do you rig up the Midshipmen? and is there a map or aerial view somewhere to be found? So I can start scouting. Should I chum? oh man so many questions! Thanks for the input, this message board rocks!

gomezfish
05-14-2008, 05:32 PM
as you drive past stinson stay on the highway and the lagoon will come to an end , theres a little parkenlot like deal , park there then walk down the small hill and fish that mudflat , ive had some of my best days tere for leopards , nothing smaller then 40 inches .....overcast days always seem better

nayr
05-14-2008, 06:53 PM
mapquest "stinson beach" and click on aerial image

drinkin_buddy
05-14-2008, 08:25 PM
Thanks guys... I will put that to good use and Baitnbeer much thanks for the new fishing spot. I want to try shark fish tacos mmmmmm! I usually use Halibut or Sword Fish. I've had Thresher before and loved it, now with you guy's talkin'... I gotta try those leopard sharks out. As I poke around in the future in that area I will definitely give an update with details. I will search for a midshipmen rig setup and tight lines await...

slowriprun
05-15-2008, 05:23 AM
Hey,

If and when you find the midshipmen, the first rule is: The slimmy stuff is good! They will be covered in it; keep it on e'm.
Second rule: fish a slidding sinker and let the shark run, and run and run. That was the hardest part for me initially. I was trying to set the hook too soon.
I use a large circle hook and stick the midshipmen through the back but not through the spine. Once the shark has run for a few seconds, and it's a few, just hold on; stop the fish dead in his tracks and lift firmly up. The circle hook will do the rest by lodging itself in the corner of its mouth.
Out of habit I still give one pull. However, be very careful at that moment because once you have stopped the fish in Bo's shallow water the fish often come out of the water and you don't want to be trying to 'slam' the hook home while she is thrashing on the surface, unless you're fishing with rope.
Chum: yup! I do! I think it helps.

Good luck to ya and have fun.

drinkin_buddy
05-15-2008, 06:03 AM
Thanks Slowriprun, I started to do a search for the midshipmen last night and fell asleep so I checked here before going to work and man now with all the new info, I may not make it to work ;D