PDA

View Full Version : Monterey....pier/wharf fishing

SpinReelFisher
04-28-2008, 10:47 AM
Ok, I'm headed out of town next Wednesday night. We're going down to Monterey for a few days. I already got the OK to take in a little fishing while I'm down there, so I'd like to take advatage of it as best I could.

I'll be confined to the area so that I'm not too far from the hotel incase....just incase...

Anyway, I'll probably be staying on Cannery Row somewhere, not sure what hotel yet.

Anyone have any insight into fishing down there right now? I'm not sure what people are catching down there right now, so I'm not too sure what to bring with me. I'd prefer to target larger fish. Any pointers/advice would be helpful.

I only really know of the two wharfs/piers down there, and I haven't ever surf fished before, so...yeah, anything is helpful. I'd be willing to try it out, whatever it is.

THANKS!!

sehoner
04-28-2008, 02:39 PM
Hey SRP,
I know the locals will be going for surf perch aorund this time of year. I am not sure if the jacks have came and went yet, but taht is also a popular fish for locals. For either you can toss Castmasters, P. Martins, Roostertails or small grubs (motor oil/olive) from shore.

My trips to the wharf are usually in January or February so I cant really say what would be hitting right now. I know in late winter you can catch big rays and butts off the very end of the pier as well as the shore. I used primarily whole squid, mackeral or chovies. My best off that pier was a 80lb ray. The large rope cleats at the end make great pole holders also.

Good luck and be sure to post on return.

Rich.

SpinReelFisher
04-29-2008, 11:11 AM
Thanks for the info. I'm even contemplating some surf fishing. I have a setup that can do double duty and a surf rod, so I might have to look into that as an option. However, I'm MUCH more versed on pier fishing than I am on surf fishing. I'm a relatively quick learner, and I have to say, I better be since I'm not going to have much time to learn!

The more input the better....thanks!

SRF

sehoner
04-29-2008, 11:19 AM
One more thing, the pier is a pay per hour parking pier. If I remember correctly a quarter gets you like 15mins or so. Get there early as it fills up fast.

You may get lucky and have the opportunity to catch some chovies or other baitfish. If you can use live bait for the butts and you might just do alright.

Sin_Coast
04-29-2008, 02:21 PM
To be perfectly honest, the fishing at Wharf 2 is poor. You would have a much better chance of catching surfperch from any of the local beaches (including Monterey beach adjacent to the wharf).

The perch fishing is decent right now. The best way to catch them is with a med-light setup between 7 and 9ft. Use 6-8lb line. Then carolina-rig a Kalins 1.5" grub or a Gulp 2" bloodworm. If you want to soak bait for perch, try bloodworms, pileworms, sandcrabs, mussels, or squid strips. Use the lightest weight possible; it will vary depending on wind+waves+current. I start w/a 1/2oz egg sinker and increase weight if necessary. Fishing the beaches also offers the chance to hook into a striper or halibut. Although, you'd have better chances if using bait like squid or anchovies.

If you really want to fish off a pier, you should hit the coastguard jetty at San Carlos beach. It is much closer to Cannery Row anyways. The main target there is rockfish. And striped perch or pile perch. Use chunks of frozen squid or anchovies on size 2/0 octopus hooks and 12lb line. About 1-2oz sinkers will work fine. You don't need to cast very far, only about 20-30ft out.

There is also great fishing for rockfish+perch from the rocky areas along Cannery Row. Or, if you have access to a car, drive down Lighthouse and make a right to Ocean View Blvd. There are some awesome shore rockfishing spots along Ocean View. Just be sure you aren't fishing in one of the new marine reserves. Here's a link to info about the reserves: http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mlpa/ccmpas_list.asp#lovers

Good luck!
PK

SpinReelFisher
04-29-2008, 02:30 PM
I'd love to land a halibut, striper, or rockfish...that'd be great. *I'll probably be bringing two setups - 8'6 rod, 8-17lb w/30sz reel. *And a 9ft rod w/65sz reel. *

I might try my hand at surf fishing with the second setup....I'm thinking a Hi/Lo or sliding sinker rig with either anchovie or squid?? *I'll probably look like an idiot out there, but hey...I can live with that!! *

Out of curiousity, what the "best" time for striper/halibut from the beach - morning or evening?

Thanks for all the info....keep it comin'!!

dbass
04-30-2008, 07:14 AM
Its been a while since I been there but, after the coast guard where you make a right on ocean view, in that area is where the locals come out to fish, the incoming, in the afternoon. Its pretty rocky there and you'll might want to use tobacco bags/sacks.