PDA

View Full Version : Shore rkfishin/ poke poling near olema/ pt reyes?

Allen
04-20-2008, 07:27 AM
Going to Olema this coming weekend and would like to know any area's with rocks for poke polling and rockfishing. I see there are some area's you can't fish.

Thanks for any suggestions

Allen

slowriprun
04-20-2008, 10:07 AM
Hey Allen,

I'm not sure about olema, but I have fished Slide Ranch a lot. It's between Stinson beach and Muir beach. You'll need a decent low tide. It can be great pokin or fishing.
To fish it, or any area around that area, I head out on a good low in a pair of waders, a seven foot slow/stiff rod, ten pound test and plastics. In other words, I pretend I'm fishing for bass, with rubber worms, but I tip the worms with squid and fish them snaggless. I simply pitch the rig a few feet out along side rocks and "bump" it back toward me. The only real "trick" is, once you get the hit and set the hook, you have to win the first second or so, or the fish will run you back under a rock. You've got to get the fish's head turned quick, up and then you can win.
I've caught alot of fish this way, and quality fish and it's a kick in the pants, especially when you realize that there are some really big fish right in front of you in much shallower water than you would have thought.

Allen, the other thing you could do, if the tides aren't right, is fish the lagoon. There's great shark fishing in there. Again, on light tackle, they are a blast, especially in the shallows because some of the bigger fish will give you an aireal display. If you can, find "midshipmen" for bait; they're a little more, ok, a lot more, expensive than squid, but the quality and size of the sharks you will catch, will make it worth it.

I hope this helps a little and good luck.
David

P.S.
If you do fish the midshipmen and haven't before, it's not the same as fishing squid or chovies or such. The timing of the hook set is different.

Allen
04-21-2008, 06:04 AM
Thank you very much.

From my internet search it looks like slide park is a private ranch, or is there access for the general public there?

Thanks again for the very detailed reply. Wish me luck

Allen

wading2fish
04-21-2008, 10:59 PM
Slide Ranch does have public access to the beach. However, it is a steep climb, so, pack light and be careful. It is well worth the climb, very beautiful area and great fishing. I have also done very well there, not only on plastics,but also with bait.

slowriprun
04-23-2008, 05:04 PM
Hey,

As was mentioned, and as I should have said, it is a steep climb down, so do go light and slow. The residence is private; however, you can park at the turn-about and there's a trail down that is all open to the public.

Wishing you good luck :D And come back with a report. I'd love to get back out there; it's been almost a year.

David