PDA

View Full Version : biggest fish you got off ,pier,jetty ,or surf?

tattooedfish1
04-21-2008, 05:59 PM
lets see some pics along with the details! ;D

FishnBeer
03-26-2010, 07:41 AM

surf striper last july. between pacifica and half moon bay
http://www.fishsniffer.com/forums/images/misc/pencil.png

nayr
03-26-2010, 03:09 PM
i cant take any credit for this fish but i love the picture. My older brother got it on a white fish trap about 5 or 6 years ago. Makes my biggest pier halibut look so meager.

MoMoney
03-27-2010, 02:39 AM
Dang how many lbs did that one go?hey ryan I got your pm but mine still isnt workin yet.will give you a shout when im able to get out on the salt.If my pms dont work by then ill put up my # on the salt board on a post.Ive probably gone through 3 phones in last year and dont have your # but mine is still the same. Sorry for the highjack!!sam

MVP
04-10-2010, 09:11 PM
Man some beautiful fish on these pics!! I am sooo jealous I have yet to make my saltwater debut!! First one didnt count I spent most of the time chumming lmao

going4broke1981
04-21-2010, 12:24 AM
i was witness to a few guys who tried to land a ray i brought in last summer at fort baker pier, unsuccessful. told them it was not going to happen, thing was probably over 100 lbs, did not look like the regular bat ray i'd usually bring in, this thing was blue in color, and a triangle on the end of the tail, the length from wing tip to wing tip looked longer than the diameter of the two crab nets combined that they were using to try and land it. while fighting it with my friends waste of a fishing pole a 9 foot ugly stick light, heavy action and his new shimano 6500 baitrunner, with 30 lb yozuri mono, he was lucky the baitrunner was being used, or bye bye bye. it ran like the usual bat ray from hell except it did not stop or slow down, i think the average large ray runs for 15 to 20 seconds max, then becomes dead weight, this one ran away from the piling, luckily. pretty much stripped all the line, until i decided to slow him down, and clamped down on the drag, fought it back and forth for maybe 20 to 30 minutes before i ever seen it, longest i've ever fought a fish, i can have a sturgeon on 25 to 30 lb line on the bank in 5 to 10 minutes once hooked unless it catches a good sac river current, any size, yes any size. people on the pier said it was probably a shark, i told them no, no shark is that strong, then some said maybe we snagged a sea lion, i don't think a sea lion would've turned back. what ever kind of ray it was, it was bigger than any ray i've ever seen, they tried to land it, i knew it wasnt going to happen, told them to cut the fish loose, they didn't, so after an hour of tormenting the fish, the leader line finally gave way, hope the ray lived to fight another day, or steal someone elses fishing rod and reel. baitrunners/feeders, or what ever they call them is a definite must for rays, no joke, unless you want to look at your buds, and say, "did what i think just happen really just happen?

SpinReelFisher
04-29-2010, 08:26 AM
6ft sturgeon, never made it on the pier.

85-90lb ray - that I do have a picture of somewhere....I'll try to dig it up.

zebco
04-29-2010, 09:29 AM
30 to 100 lbs rays are a regular catch in my area of oakland (fruitvale area) spooled twice yesterday. i have seen others catch 5-6 ft. sturgen & sharks .

Odasan
04-30-2010, 11:11 AM
60-70# ray last weekend in the bay.

raw instinct
04-30-2010, 01:04 PM
About a 30 lb. lingcod. I won't name the jetty.

I caught it on a 2oz. jighead twin tail scampi in merthiolate with a strip of squid on 40lb. braid with a 60lb fluoro leader that goes about 13ft. on a 10-25lb backbouncing rod 15 ft. out in front and about 5 feet down.

Sharks and rays are fun and they are VERY plentiful in the bay. They do become dead weight after that first run and a half.