PDA

View Full Version : Poke Polin'!!

Crass
12-13-2007, 02:47 AM
Anybody else do it? anybody in the Bay Area(pref Peninsula area) wanna go sometime? anybody know some primo spots? ;D

Just made some new poles.. havent done it in a while but hey.. why not.

metalmouth
12-13-2007, 05:35 AM
Here is a thread with some of the guys on the boards that were discussing it. *
Pole Poking: (http://www.fishsniffer.com/cgi-bin/forumsyabb/YaBB.pl?num=1109709285)

keelhaulinrob
12-13-2007, 11:27 AM
oh the good oll poll of poking, when i was about 10 my dad bought one of those telescopic poke poles and i would stand on the rocks and use it while he dove. At that age as most people i thought i knew everthing and had really never done ocean fishing just trout fishing, so i was like dad this isn't going to catch a fish he said trust me my son. So i did it to make him happy and im standing on the rocks thinking how stupid i look untell tug tug i pull it up its a cabazone. bait back up put it back in a ling cod. so i got to fish i couldn't get the ling off the hook cuz i was scared, but ever since then im a believer. that was up at timber cove

Orsa_Fisher
12-13-2007, 06:08 PM
I'd go if you know places:)

Question that was left from the link above is "are half moon bay jetty rocks any good?"

I'd love to go to something like Moss Landing.
Anyone knows if there is any fish in the rocks there?

fbanaria
12-13-2007, 10:20 PM
Anywhere there's rocks and sea water, there's rockfish!

MB_Kevin
12-13-2007, 10:57 PM
Yea just find a place with lots of rocks at low tide and start pokin 8-)

Crass
12-14-2007, 03:23 AM
i did see the old thread kinda died

but i know some cool spots around the HMB-PTown-SF area if anyone is interested.. im not much of a driver, but i can usually supply bait and maybe gas if not a meet up. i know pacifica pretty well, but id love someone else to go with. the cold days have just kinda killed my will to go alone. so anybody hit me up here and/or gimme a call(leave a message if i dont pick up.. bad service in the back of the valley) 6505801157.

cant wait to hear from some sniffers! this place is too boss!! ;D

Orsa_Fisher
12-17-2007, 12:49 PM
By the way ... Is rockfishing still allowed this time of year?

I am trying to search the regs but it is too much for me.
Any regulation gurus around?

Also ... how many poles allowed from the beach at Moss landing?

Sharkman20
12-17-2007, 04:20 PM
Rockfish are open year-round from shore. Ling cod is closed however.

tarbuckle
12-17-2007, 04:44 PM
Anybody else do it? anybody in the Bay Area(pref Peninsula area) wanna go sometime? anybody know some primo spots? ;D

Just made some new poles.. havent done it in a while but hey.. why not.
You probably already figured this out, but I'd hold off for awhile or your liable to get swept away by a wave.

Crass
12-17-2007, 05:09 PM
well.. i havent seen daylight in about 4/5 days.. but the surf has been big. i can hear it from my house.

fbanaria
12-17-2007, 08:33 PM
well.. i havent seen daylight in about 4/5 days.. but the surf has been big. i can hear it from my house.

Do you live in Alaska? Just wondering because you have not seen daylight as you said.

Crass
12-18-2007, 04:08 AM
ive been really sick and sleeping far too much to recover. better now tho! :D

haha, no alaska, no drugs, no worries.

Sin_Coast
12-18-2007, 06:15 PM
There are RF in the jetty rocks at Moss. But they are not conducive to poking due to wave action and limited accessability (just try to climb down there and stick a pole in them rocks without fallin in LOL). You're better off using a sturdy rod and heavy line; just toss it right near the base of the rocks and wait about 5 mionutes. You'll get a few rockies. Probably nothing huge but you'll get a few keepers. Frozen squid works great for this because it stays on the hook longer than sardines, chovies, etc.
Drop me a PM if you're going because I haven't been there in a while. But I'm down to give it a go.
Good luck!

Crass
12-19-2007, 10:57 PM
If the water calms down, maybe this weekend.. we'll have to see. but ill definately hitcha up when i go! or hell, just hit me up when you wanna go and we'll see whats happenin!

haha, and i usually like to use a burlap sack worn like a messanger bag. works pretty good.. cheap anyway. hah.

MB_Kevin
12-20-2007, 12:30 AM
*Take a gunny sack to wrap the Wolf Eels and Monkey Faced Eels in and to carry them home in. Slimy!

I know if you don't have them in a bag or on a stringer when you take them off the hook...Plan on a catch and release ;D

J1bigfish
12-20-2007, 12:35 PM
I've poke poled a bunch of spots from Santa Cruz up hwy 1 to Pigeon point. Any spot with rocks is good, try to plan on going during a minus tide, you'll find better access to the better holes.

Those monkey faced eels are some ugly creatures. Are they good to eat? I didn't want anything to do with them when I caught them. I figured anything that ugly can't taste good. ;D

KOKANEEKIDTC
12-20-2007, 08:49 PM
fish the jetty at moss landing... go to the island side as you don't have to pay to get in there... the other side you have to pay to get in. also check out the santa cruz yaht harbor on the aldo's restaurant side. have not done that for ages!!! good luck and send a report on how you did.

keelhaulinrob
12-20-2007, 09:09 PM
if you guys go let me know i got a nice poke pole, or im getting a new rod for christmas so let me know id be down i got abalone guts for some bait.

Crass
12-20-2007, 11:04 PM
im usually down whenever. just gotta hit me up. haha, ive never seen a "nice poke pole".. just homemade bamboo numbers. id be interested in seein yers! :D

keelhaulinrob
12-20-2007, 11:54 PM
its telescopic

FishinRaiders
12-21-2007, 09:25 AM
My poke Polie is an ugly beast..I started out with an old trout pole I found in my late uncles garage..cut it down twice and took a thick piece of welding rod..wrapped it and double wrapped it to the pole then coated it with electrical tape..bent the piece of welding rod so I can tie a small piece of leader or a hook to the end..its ugly as all heck but does the job..

Crass are you in Paciifca?

sethonious
12-21-2007, 12:23 PM
I'll bet this has been posted before, but I think it is a really funny video about poke poling for eels. Especially the "fight hard, live hard and they die hard man"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1imKc0IjLY

realdeal
12-21-2007, 01:09 PM
;D That videos awesome. Do u guys think it will work if i just tape a length of bamboo onto an old 7 foot catfish rod? I was trying to find a cheap 10-12 foot pole to poke pole with but theyre not cheap enough for my taste

MB_Kevin
12-21-2007, 01:20 PM
;D That videos awesome. Do u guys think it will work if i just tape a length of bamboo onto an old 7 foot catfish rod? I was trying to find a cheap 10-12 foot pole to poke pole with but theyre not cheap enough for my taste

If you go you can just use a regular pole with 20# + line and let the waves suck it under the rocks. That way you don't have to stand out in the water like that. It is also handy if you decide to cast out where the good rockfish might be and end up with more then just eels. Waders can be good for some days because you might have to get in.

Ive seen that video and It is great ;D I like when he saids turkey was not the first thanksgiving dinner it was eel :-?

Who knows maybe it was :o

Crass
12-21-2007, 04:49 PM
FishinRaiders: yes, yes i am.

abdiver: no idea if its legal.. haha, but no thank you sir! catfish noodlin i think is a bit too much for me!

you guys should post up pics of yer poles. im interested in seein the good, the bad, and the ugly. ;)

gomezfish
12-21-2007, 11:06 PM
so whats poke polin?? ive wathed those videos but still dont understand

realdeal
12-22-2007, 10:10 PM
If I wanted to go specifically after cabezones, should i just stick with squid? I was thinking about trying those little berkeley gulp crabs, but have never heard much about them and im too darn slow to catch any of those little green crabs

MB_Kevin
12-23-2007, 12:36 AM
If I wanted to go specifically after cabezones, should i just stick with squid? I was thinking about trying those little berkeley gulp crabs, but have never heard much about them and im too darn slow to catch any of those little green *crabs
I have a bag of those just in case I end up out there with no bait. I figure when the crabs fall off the rocks that the fish gulp them up and those should work. I have not tried it yet so if you do let me know 8-)

Crass
12-23-2007, 12:54 AM
so whats poke polin?? ive wathed those videos but still dont understand

exactly what it sounds like. poke the pole in the hole, they bite, you yank it out. ;D

so yall actually get any bites on those Gulp Crabs?? and what color? im guessin the blue pepper neon glow, skipjack glow, or natural pear colors...??

FishinRaiders
12-23-2007, 09:03 AM
Crass..Im from Pacifica so I don't know if I can master this photo on the board sh&t..haha

I will take a photo of the poke pole later today and post it..

I more less bait up and let the waves wash the bait into the holes

Don't stand in the water like how that guy did it in the video

gmdcdvm
12-24-2007, 05:43 AM
I have only tried it once along the jetty at Fort Baker. Pulled up some small rockfish, but nothing else. I wanted to try it out again somewhere, but just haven't been motivated enough to find a spot. The end of this month will be tough for me because of the Holidays, but I have tons of time in January if you want to go out mid week. Let me know.
Gerry

Orsa_Fisher
12-26-2007, 01:59 PM
Ended up going to Moss Landing on Saturday and Sunday

Tide was low.
Waves were high.
Waders helped not to get to wet. But they were not high enough to wash me into the ocean.

Got skunked on Saturday.
Ended up with 3 eels and 3 rockfish on Sunday.
Biggest eel running over two pounds. No exact measurements.
My god they are ugly!

Moss Landing is 55 miles from me:(
Is there a similar place in Santa Cruz? Any pointers on the map?

Crass, once again sorry I could not hookup with you.

I will be going on the 5th again.
Tide will be not that low but I still hope for some luck.

I was looking at these rocks and I have no idea how I'd let the waves wash bait and sinker under the rocks and then be able to pull it out.
It will definetely snag.
But again ... I have not tried.

The weather was so nice ...
Sea otters, sea lions, not many people ...

Fishing time does not count into lifetime:)

KOKANEEKIDTC
12-27-2007, 06:01 PM
try santa cruz yaht entrance off the jetty

hopevalleyfisher
01-01-2008, 11:58 PM
My friend and his dad have some spots along Hgwy 1 that are the best for poke poling. Each spot is for a different kind of fish- eels, cabbies, sea trouts,etc. I have caught everything from a octopuss to a lingcod, but my favorite was a 16lb cabbie. I once saw the old man wrestle about a 6' octopuss from under a rock with his bare hands. That thing was wrapped all over him. I dont know if I coulda done it. Took about two hrs to get it out, and tide was coming up.
Yes, monkey-faced eels taste gooooood. And If I were to divulge anymore info and they were to find out, Id probably be shot.

Crass
01-02-2008, 12:59 AM
haha, well thats no help! ;)

anyone on the peninsula wanna go sometime before the storm hits? might be okay, aside from cold. its been pretty flat lately.

tuna_head
01-02-2008, 08:29 PM
used to use 12 to 14 ft galvanzed wire like bailing wire make a loop on the bottom end tie snelled bait hook to it, bag of squid non slip shoes go for it. inside of the north jetty @ moss, we would use the small fish for real fish, big lings

realdeal
01-31-2008, 02:26 PM
I was thinking about going poke poling somewhere from pescadero to santa cruz next week. Can anyone help me out with a starting point, perhaps somewhere where i may also be able to get some clams?

KOKANEEKIDTC
02-01-2008, 12:22 AM
realdeal... you can try north of santa cruz around davenport... the cement plant... there are places with lots of rocks up that way. also a good area for the little rock crabs. you can park off of hwy 1 and hike in. tc

ken_fishnfool
02-01-2008, 03:04 PM
There are some perfect minus tides this coming week!

Try Bean Hollow, or the North side of Half Moon Bay N. jetty. Pescadero can also be real good but is more exposed to waves.

Be safe!

Crass
02-01-2008, 05:10 PM
well.. im gonna try and go out this week then! if anyone else is goin maybe we can meet and do a little fishin.

cptdarel
02-01-2008, 08:38 PM
Pidgen point, bean hollow, around that area, take it for what it's worth.
done!

ken_fishnfool
02-03-2008, 09:29 AM
If you Guys/Gals are thinking of going this coming week BE REAL CAREFUL!! They are projecting BIG Waves with this series of storms!

15-20 foot swells does NOT a good poke-pole experience make!

Be Safe!

tarbuckle
02-03-2008, 09:58 AM
Better then being careful DON'T GO !!! It's not worth it. The reef turns into a washing machine with waves like these. Ask any Ab diver.At a minimum you'll have a miserable experience. Been their done that.
This is coming from a guy that LOVES poke poling. I wait till March but even then it gets touchy.

realdeal
02-03-2008, 07:31 PM
Ah well, guess Ill wait til the next minus tides :(

fishingrick57
02-25-2008, 08:36 PM
Does anyone have any pics of there poles? I got some ideas but pics always help...

Thanks guys!!!

tchli
02-27-2008, 05:51 AM
So what Jetty at hmb is the north one? The one with the pier or the one that is more east? I guess im going to try poke poling this spring break after i get home from college.

Crass
02-27-2008, 08:32 PM
ill post some of mine.. hah, after i made em soley on memory of what my buddy's pop had made when we were kids.. heh, little short and kinda wrong.. but ill post anyway.

i really wanna see everyone else's rigs as well!

tchli
02-28-2008, 01:30 AM
i think i might just buy a wooden stick from home depot, add a straightened wire hanger and a couple feet of line. Would that make for a decent poke pole? Im interested in seeing yours crass. I will probably try HMB this spring break. End of the south jetty is where the action is right?

FishinRaiders
02-28-2008, 01:41 AM
my poke pole is the ugliest thing known to mankind..an old trout rod cut down..a piece of welding rod on the end..taped up and sturdy..i just tie a leader on with hook already attached and go to work..I have used it for years and it works great

will take a picture of this thing tomorrow am and post it

fishingrick57
02-28-2008, 08:01 AM
great guys!!! I hope to get out this weekend, got some low tides early.

One more thing, whats the biggest fish you guys ever got on your poke pole? Do you get the biggies, or mostly small ones?

cptdarel
02-28-2008, 09:16 AM
see the gear for sale board, I have 2 poles for sale.

Crass
02-28-2008, 02:44 PM
sh*tty pics of my sh*tty poles. :D

http://i30.tinypic.com/ml2s0o.jpg

FishinRaiders
02-28-2008, 03:31 PM
http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/7976/002dg0.th.jpg (http://img178.imageshack.us/my.php?image=002dg0.jpg)

tattooedfish1
02-28-2008, 08:24 PM
OK,Gotta ask .....what is poke poling? how do you do it,whats the setup for it? All I ve ever used is just rod and reel,this sounds kinda cool! ;D

Crass
02-28-2008, 11:45 PM
poke your line in crevises, holes, etc at low tide and hope a fish/eel/etc thats hiding in there bites. yank it out and repeat.. haha, i havent done it with anyone but myself in years.. so im prolly doin it kinda wrong.. but it fairly straightforward once ya get it, i think.. Fun, tho! ;D

realdeal
03-08-2008, 03:42 AM
Any recent reports? I was hoping that on the next minus tide, if the waves arent too bad, that I could bring home some eels and cabs for dinner. Do 'chovies work well at all when pokepolin? I have a freezerful of freezerburned chovies I was hoping I could use up

tarbuckle
03-08-2008, 07:52 AM
I had a golden opportunity the other day. Good tide, good ocean conditions but by the time I thought about it it was to late.
I'd say if the tide is right and the waves are down go for it. From now till May has always been my most productive time of year. Ocean starts to settle and not as much grass and kelp in the water.
Anchovies might work but can be a stinky, messy pain in the butt and hard to keep on the hook.. Can't go wrong with squid.

The_Talis
03-08-2008, 08:18 AM
You definitely cannot go wrong with squid. Anchovies will work, but you'll end up having to rebait all the time since they don't stay on the hook very well.

Hey tarbuckle, you should check out the north jetty by the cypress trees on minus tides. I've been nailing some nice monkeyface and grass rockfish out there with my poke-pole.

tarbuckle
03-08-2008, 08:56 AM
I might just do that. The tides at the spot on my days off are to early. Thursday/Friday is perfect with an afternoon low. I also need to make new poke poles. Mine are past their prime.
Eric was supposed to order the same ones you got. If you have the link to the website P.M. me. If I wait on Eric I might miss out this year ;D

HSUSteelie
03-08-2008, 11:43 AM
Hey Tim - If you want to get rid of your old poke poles I would be willing to buy them from you - I've wanted to give it a shot for some time now so just let me know!

tarbuckle
03-08-2008, 01:03 PM
Brad, You don't want them. I made them out of bamboo and they have been in the weather for a couple of years now.

You can make them for pennies with bamboo, twine, wire and gorilla glue. The bamboo can get heavy after a while but the price is right. It's also thicker then your standard pole, so you get a lot of resistance to wave action. But they do work.
The_ talis made a sweet set up and has been slaying them. But then again that kid ALWAYS slays fish no matter what he's using.
Reminds me of somebody I once knew 20 years ago ;)

HSUSteelie
03-08-2008, 06:10 PM
Well I got sick of hitting the books this afternoon so I made a poke pole! I found an old 9ft spinning rod that I picked up a long time ago. I took the half of guides that were still there off - but I left the tip on so I an attach the leader. I also super glued the two pieces of the rod together.

Do you think this will work?

The_Talis
03-08-2008, 06:24 PM
Well I got sick of hitting the books this afternoon so I made a poke pole! I found an old 9ft spinning rod that I picked up a long time ago. I took the half of guides that were still there off - but I left the tip on so I an attach the leader. I also super glued the two pieces of the rod together.

Do you think this will work?
That'll totally work. When I started poke-poling back in November, I was using my old beater 8 foot shark pole and it worked fine. I wanted a longer reach though and now use a 16 foot telescopic windsock pole, cost me around 20 bucks but it's totally worth it.

Closest place to use it from HSU is the north jetty. I've pulled out grassies, browns, coppers, cabezon, Irish lords, and a few big eels from there. I've also hooked a couple monsters that would bust my 30 lb leader out there, I'm assuming they were either enormous eels or maybe octopus.

tarbuckle
03-08-2008, 06:35 PM
Hey Chris. I just realized I called you Brad earlier ;D I get you and Brad mixed up because your both going to HSU.

Might be a little short but sounds like it will work just fine. Maybe you can figure out how to add another 3 ft to the butt. I use a 12inch steel leader at the end that have snap swivels at both ends. Kmart has them. Or you can easily make your own with some wire, sleeves and a crimping tool.
Take it out to the North Jetty where Talis was describing at a low tide with squid and give it a shot.

MB_Kevin
03-09-2008, 03:32 AM
I personally recommend using a regular pole while poke polin'. That way if it comes up that you need to cast out for some rock fish or surf perch like this guy the other day I was out was nailing. You might not want to use a good one because you might mess it up but it is a good Idea to have a reel and some line incase it is needed and you can still get your bait under the rocks. If you are only going for eels and rockfish under the rocks it would work good but sometimes I feel the need to get out there and it has worked.
He got about 8 nice perch off the rocks.

tarbuckle
03-09-2008, 08:38 AM
I personally recommend using a regular pole while poke polin'. That way if it comes up that you need to cast out for some rock fish or surf perch like this guy the other day I was out was nailing. You might not want to use a good one because you might mess it up but it is a good Idea to have a reel and some line incase it is needed and you can still get your bait under the rocks. If you are only going for eels and rockfish under the rocks it would work good but sometimes I feel the need to get out there and it has worked.
He got about 8 nice perch off the rocks.

ABSOLUTELY !! I had mine set up to be able to clip on about 20 yrds of 30lb test line. and would wing it out. Sometimes using a bobber. Got a lot of Grass Rockfish with that method. Now I bring my poke pole and my (Beater) fishing rod.

realdeal
03-09-2008, 10:38 AM
What I was thinking was to duct tape about 5 feet of bamboo onto my 8 foot beater rod for pokepoling during low tide, then remove the bamboo so I can do some casting when the tide comes in!

HSUSteelie
03-09-2008, 11:19 AM
Lots of good ideas being passed around - awesome! I think I've figured out how to add some length to mine - I got the butt cap off and I should be able to get a wood dowel inside the blank and gorilla glue it to hold. The extension may not be that comfortable to hold to the smaller diameter so I'm thinking about getting some leather bootlaces and wrapping the dowel with them to make the handle a little thicker.

This poke pole is going be a bit on the 'Janky' side but as I was always told, 'function of form'

MB - I like that idea of being able to switch back over to a standard rod but I already stripped the old guides off. I have a couple that are beater rods that I can take out with me.

Realdeal- I thought about the duck tape too but it seems like if you get snagged or hook a decent fish you would lose a lot of leverage and strength. Maybe somebody with some experience can chime in!

Tim - Don't worry about the name mixing up - I'm awful with names! ;D

realdeal
03-14-2008, 06:25 PM
Went on my first pokepoling adventure today in the pescadero area, i knew the waves were gonna be big but I didnt know that they were gonna be that big! I made sure I stayed in protected areas, but unfortunately that meant i couldnt venture too far into the ocean. Caught a few rock crabs and a big spider crab(i think), all released. Also managed to poke a big eel without hooking it and watched it swim away. Had a great time looking thru all the tidal pools and seeing all kind of creatures in there, felt like I was 8 years old again going on a school field trip! Didnt catch anything of substance, but had a great time. Boy does that rockhopping take a toll on your feet! By the way, saw a few good looking white clams but didnt take them as I do not really know the rules regarding clamming

MB_Kevin
03-14-2008, 10:35 PM
Cool, It is fun to explore around the area. It makes it easier when the waves are not pounding the rocks.

Crass
03-15-2008, 11:48 AM
i gotta say, that are is just beautiful to mob around all day.. always fun and interesting. i always feel like im 6 when im out there. :P

tarbuckle
03-15-2008, 05:07 PM
I love being out on the rocks. I've been hit by waves several times,fell in once up to my neck. broke my camera, had a pole get washed off a rock. lost count on how many times I've fallen on the rocks, etc. All for this:
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb17/tarbuckle2/Cape%20Mendocino%20Lost%20Coast/1985-1.jpg?t=1230768733

MB_Kevin
03-15-2008, 09:15 PM
Well that stringer full looks like it was worth it :o

tarbuckle
03-16-2008, 05:42 AM
That pic was taken two years ago. I haven't been on the rocks since last May :'(

realdeal
03-16-2008, 06:18 AM
Oh now im Inspired! :o

MB_Kevin
03-16-2008, 10:35 AM
I would be happy if I got just one of those fish in the middle. That would probably be a day for me. Fish for a few more min and then I would probably be out of there.
If I had gone on a long trip I would keep fishing but if it was just down the hill I would be home cooking that thing [smiley=chowtime.gif]

tarbuckle
03-18-2008, 11:44 PM
Tide looks good next week. My oldest Son is coming up to visit and he wants to go. I know it's a week away but since it's been a year I'm already getting stoked.
Check the tides down South for the 26th and 27th. Up here we have a low in the morning followed by a 3.7 ft High. Which means very little water movement.
I've done well in this tide pattern, this time of year.

Crass
03-19-2008, 01:06 AM
where do ya get yer online tide reports? i havent been able to find one thats not overly complicated to just glance at

wading2fish
03-19-2008, 03:46 AM
where do ya get yer online tide reports? i havent been able to find one thats not overly complicated to just glance at

tidesonline.com. very simple to read, at least for me it is.

tarbuckle
03-19-2008, 02:22 PM
Here's another good one:
http://129.252.79.73/tide/index.html

MB_Kevin
03-19-2008, 06:11 PM

Crass go down to the rusty hook and for around $1.05 you get a tide book for the year and it is easy to read. There on the counter and it works out great for the year. I always get one.

EastBayAngler
03-19-2008, 06:58 PM

I get my online tide reports online!
And their only hard to read if you cant tell time! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D 8-)

JK Bro! ;D

Check your PM ;)

tattooedfish1
03-23-2008, 10:24 AM
Anybody know of some good places to go in monterey bay, santa cruz area? :-? I wanna give this a try and see how it goes :DThanks in advance!

Crass
03-23-2008, 08:59 PM
Report:
Went along LMB's north shore the other day for over an hour.. nothin. got out there a little too late coupled with my pole only bein 7' probably had a hand in that. i think south shore and maybe a longer pole will be the ticket for next time.

tarbuckle
03-24-2008, 05:19 PM
Tide looks good next week. My oldest Son is coming up to visit and he wants to go. I know it's a week away but since it's been a year I'm already getting stoked.
Check the tides down South for the 26th and 27th. Up here we have a low in the morning followed by a 3.7 ft High. Which means very little water movement.
I've done well in this tide pattern, this time of year.
Not going to make it out this week :'( Swell and wind waves a little to high.
Hopefully next week things will calm down.

HSUSteelie
04-03-2008, 06:29 AM
Looks like there's going to be an awesome low tide series (up to -1.4) on the North Coast next week. I think it's time I try out that poke pole I made!

Just another quick question. When you are poke polin in an area that doesn't get too influenced by tides with regard to water level, how critical is a minus tide? Ie The north and south jetties for Humboldt Bay.

tarbuckle
04-03-2008, 07:11 AM
Looks like there's going to be an awesome low tide series (up to -1.4) on the North Coast next week. I think it's time I try out that poke pole I made!

Just another quick question. When you are poke polin in an area that doesn't get too influenced by tides with regard to water level, how critical is a minus tide? Ie The north and south jetties for Humboldt Bay.

I noticed the same thing. I'm debating next week to go poke poling or go to Ruth for some trout.
Clayman492 is a pro fishing the Jetties. You should PM him with your question.

HSUSteelie
04-03-2008, 07:25 AM
Thanks will do! I'm heading out to the North Jetty tomorrow - conditions should be calm and a decent incoming tide all morning. I think I will take the poke pole just to get a feel for it.

Sin_Coast
04-03-2008, 02:11 PM
People have been killing it on the south jetty recently. Lots of lings and blacks.
Good luck!

tt31
04-03-2008, 03:05 PM
I have been reading that they are doing well at south jetty. Where is that?

tarbuckle
04-04-2008, 07:44 AM
Humboldt Bay

The_Talis
04-04-2008, 06:09 PM
Yeah it's rockin' at the south jetty right now. Mostly blacks and lings, but also a variety of other rocky denizens. Jigs in white and pumpkin are picking up lots of fish.

tt31
04-04-2008, 06:51 PM
Wow that is a strike. I need to find a better shore rockfish spot in the bay area.

tillhecomes
04-05-2008, 07:13 AM
I plan to be in Mendocino this Tuesday and Wednesday. I would like to meet someone to pick some abalone and do some poke poling. Call by Sunday, 916-684-2687. -Doug

Tbonz69
04-05-2008, 12:46 PM
Any chance someone can post a picture of these home made pole pokin poles ? :D