PDA

View Full Version : SF Bay (pier) fishing line options....HELP?

SpinReelFisher
03-31-2008, 03:26 PM
I typically run mono (20-30lb P-Line/Maxima) on a larger reel when fishing piers in/around SF Bay. I primarily fish Berkeley and Candlestick.

I now have a baitfeeder reel that's rated for 265yds/20lb mono. The company recommends, if using braid, that I stay between the ratings of 40-100lb for this particular reel. (It's a very reliable/hardy reel...)

What are your suggestions? Vote please!!
And if you have something to add, let me know.....Thanks!

SRF

FishingTone
03-31-2008, 03:59 PM
Im not a big fan of braided line but if I would fish for shark, ray, and sturgeon from shore and pier, I would use braid. Especially where there a lot of bottom snag!

office_pirate79
03-31-2008, 05:52 PM
25 lb. P-Line seems like a good choice. However, I have 15 lb. Trilene Big Game on my surf/pier rig & it handled a 20-30 lb. ray (w/ home made leaders of the same line) at Candlestick with no problems. It had some abrasions, but that thing took me all over the pier. I thought it was light duty for pier fishing, but I didn't lose confidence in it when the fight was on. Truthfully, it probably is light and most will say so. The 25 lb. P-Line seems like it would handle most/all pier situations without question. I've never used braid, but I understand that it can be cut fairly easily on rocks & such. If you got wrapped up on the pilings too much, that might be all she wrote. Again, I'm no expert on braid though.

OP

Crass
03-31-2008, 08:24 PM
if you go to piers like get real crowded like Pacifica, i wouldnt use braid.. it likes to slice thru mono if two lines cross and, well.. everybody gets upset.

aside from that.. ive pulled in some big ol' rays and sharks with 25lb mono, so that what i like to use in general.

i honestly havent found a specific situation yet where i went "dang i wish i had braid" :-? i dont have anything against it, either.. just havent found a great salt aplication from what ive done yet, aside from surf fishing by litsa obstacles.

SpinReelFisher
03-31-2008, 09:35 PM
Last year my line was tested to the limit twice. One 80lb ray, one sturgeon...I can only assume it was about 100lbs or better. I was fishing 20lb PLine at the time, and had every confidence in it. Actually, I still do.

I'm confident in the mono, but I like a lot of line on my reels when I'm on the pier. I've had some REALLY long runs from big fish out there, and have been a little afraid of getting spooled...I think it'd be hard...but still a little scared.

Is getting over 300yds just totally unnecessary? If I rig up with 25lb PLine I'll be getting about 215-230yds on there. I guess that's ok...?? RIGHT??

Crass
04-01-2008, 01:17 AM
Id like more line on my spinning rod, but i manage to fit about 250-ish yds on it. i know whatcha mean about likin to have extra.

04-01-2008, 10:26 AM
I think I've only spooled my reel once in my lifetime fishing off a pier. I hooked into something BIG and it just ran like the dickens.

I'd go 25lb. maxima, for the same reasons others have posted about fishing with braid on piers.

SpinReelFisher
04-01-2008, 11:34 AM
My fear is that if I spool up with 25lb maxima/PLine, since they are a little on the thick side compared to other lines, I'll only be getting about 215yds...at best! Before, I thought maybe I'd get somewhere close to 230, but I forgot to think about the thickness issue.

I fish in the evening, and there are not too many people out there. I've only ever got tangled up once, and we sorted it out very well, even managed to land the fish. So, I'm not worried about that.

I prefer mono, but the idea of getting spooled is not really sitting well with me right now. I suppose I can either live with the risk, or I can just go with braid. GEEZ!! This is just too much for me to handle.

SRF

04-01-2008, 12:00 PM
You don't have to go all or nothing. Go 1/2-1/2 or 2/3-1/3.

You can 'back fill' your spool with 2/3 braid and 1/3 mono, get the extra length you want 'just in case', and have the stretch you need sometimes when getting hung up with rocks, pilings, other anglers, etc.

I do that with my charter rigs for rockfish.

SpinReelFisher
04-01-2008, 01:29 PM
Actually, funny you should mention that. I was thinking the same thing.

I'm not experienced at joining braid and mono line and I'm afraid I'll tie a crappy knot and end up worse off.

ARGH!! :( :o :-/ :'(

SRF

EastBayAngler
04-01-2008, 03:23 PM
I use 50# dacron on a Diawa Saltist 50-T. Great strength and castability and as mentioned above Piers and shorelines can really mess up mono or fluoro lines. After a few dings on the rocks, It creates a weak point in your line where it will break off.

Dacron does have a little give to it when you've got a bunch of line out, But you can haul in a Cadillac with it! ;D ;D ;D

I say try a few different ones on the set ups your planning on using, and go with the one that feels better to you! 8-)

EBA

SpinReelFisher
04-01-2008, 03:54 PM
What brand dacron do you use...?

I have to have my mind made up by Sat so I can go to either FW or Sportsmans before I leave and take care of this.

Also....tieing braid directly to the spool...I've heard that's a bad idea and that you should use a mono backing. What about tape (electrical)?

I don't want to back my backing with mono....sounds stupid.

SRF

SpinReelFisher
04-04-2008, 10:14 AM
I've decided what I'm going to use. I'll be spooling the reel with about 100yds of 30lb Pline, then filling it the rest of the way with 65lb braid. I should get about 250-275yds on there total. I think I'll be comfotable with that.

Thanks for the votes and suggestions.

I still have my normal setup of strickly mono, so I'll be able to compare the two on Saturday when I'm out.

SRF

EastBayAngler
04-04-2008, 11:36 AM
Sounds like a winner!...

I've never used backing on my braided lines...But Ive never been spooled either? :-?

Ive got 900 feet of line on that reel, and I've been close to spooled by huge sting rays but even those cows slow down after awhile enough to get a few pumps in on em...

I dont use level winds either! Maybe that matters???

I just tie straight on the the spool and let your thumb do the walking! ;) ;D

I use Offshore Angler Magibraid
& Berkley gorilla string
Angler Pro Dacron, Ive used too!

Good Luck.. Ive found a place in my fishing for both braid and dacron. Slowly moving away from mono and flouro. Still use mono for trout and bass though! ;D 8-)