PDA

View Full Version : Santa Cruz wharf .......the wells

tattooedfish1
02-25-2008, 07:38 PM
what can you catch ,when ,and with what out of there? I dont know my rockfish very well but last summer I caught a 2-3 pound brownfish with blue dots all over ? any clues ?heard of lings in there sometimes .what do you guys know about there? or is it a waste of time ? Thanks. Josh

realdeal
02-25-2008, 09:17 PM
Most of the time at the wharf youre going to be catching jacksmelt, anchovies, small perch, and other little guys as well as some enormous starfish. Occasionally you might get a rockie, hali, striper, or maybe even a white sandbass. You would have better results if you rented one of the yellow boats and tried around the local reefs, but I dont think it would be safe this time of year. Sounds like maybe your fish you caught last year was a greenling

KOKANEEKIDTC
02-25-2008, 10:24 PM
don't forget the kingfish. if you rent a boat head out near the kelp beds.. capitola or the SC wharf. last i heard both were owned by the same people. tc

bretmoua
02-26-2008, 07:34 AM
How much is it to rent a boat and what can you catch at the kelp beds besides kelp LOL.

MB_Kevin
02-26-2008, 04:32 PM
When I was there I also seen they had half day fishing trips out on party boats. I figured if I ever take my daughter out that half day might be best.

pulper80
03-01-2008, 07:54 AM
Santa Cruz wharf is free bait city, during the summer there are billions of anchovies near the very first parking spots. If you have a cast net, you can make 1 trip and catch enough to last you and your buddies an entire year of fishing. If you really want to fish in the wells, you should drop a crab net down there. If you can find someone willing to eat them, you can come up with several of these hideous beasts:

http://pulper80.googlepages.com/tumorcrab.jpg
http://pulper80.googlepages.com/spidercrab2.jpg

They are spider crabs and they are horrific to look at, but my vietnamese buddy claims they are a "delicacy".

Crass
03-01-2008, 03:20 PM
wow! thats awesome!!

haha.. i wouldnt wanna eat em but its great to see something aside from a dinky little rock crab. :D

office_pirate79
03-02-2008, 10:19 PM
I was going to post about the wells in the middle of SC pier too! I read on pierfishing.com that using live shiner perch in the wells toward the end of the pier can be killer for lings. The suggestion about the boat rentals/reefs is so noted, but, again, has anyone had success fishing the wells? I'm planning to go try it out myself, but am still curious. Thanks ;)

OP

pulper80
03-03-2008, 09:11 AM
I was going to post about the wells in the middle of SC pier too! *I read on pierfishing.com that using live shiner perch in the wells toward the end of the pier can be killer for lings. *The suggestion about the boat rentals/reefs is so noted, but, again, has anyone had success fishing the wells? *I'm planning to go try it out myself, but am still curious. *Thanks *;)

OP

I wouldn't say "killer".... From about 10 - 12 times being there, 1 time my buddy caught an undersized ling, and 1 time I saw a kid pull up a rockfish. Fairly slow in that area. Also, watch out for the diving birds, one ate my shiner surfperch I had on the bottom and I had to cut the line.

Berryessa Kid
03-03-2008, 09:35 AM
We used to fish the pier all night. We would drop our crab nets and then fish. Just like everything else it has changed. You don't seem to get any good crabs anymore, and the fishing is hit or miss. It is still fun though to walk over to Stagnaros get some hot chowder, smoked Herring, Battered fish etc. and kick back. Maybe something to keep you warm ;)
One time a sea lion to my fresh baited crab net on its way down and swam off, it was a good old fashioned tug of war with me loosing both the net and the tug ;D ;D Best fish caught was a few and far between salmon.

wmgraphics
03-03-2008, 11:51 AM
SC and Capitola boat rentals are $75 for all day, sunup till 4pm. Get their early though, these guys sometimes really take there time getting the boats out. You can catch some decent lings and cabs in the kelp with live macks and swim baits. Bring a Sabaki rig and catch your own bait while you wait for your boat.

tuna_head
03-03-2008, 04:27 PM
i think all the boat rentals shut down for the winter months, you might consider a phone call before you plan a trip

polybass
03-08-2008, 08:22 PM
heres a little secret, u can catch halibut from santa cruz wharf, on the right side of the pier behind one of the stores theres like a spot, its right next to a handicap bench. If u cast straight out about 100 feet theres a slope and it goes down to a sandy bottom, and guess what there HALIs there all day. Usually what I do is I get me some anchovies on the other side of the pier bring it over and use it as live bait for the halibuts. I havn't been there for a while, but it should still be good,

THINK CATCH AND RELEASE

blue_chrush
03-13-2008, 04:13 PM
hahahahahahaaha..........
just went by that spot you spoke of......
80 people were shoulder to shoulder....
you couldn't find a place to stand let alone park....
oh yeah, if there were fish there, there gone now........

Yaker
03-14-2008, 11:04 AM
heres a little secret, u can catch halibut from santa cruz wharf, on the right side of the pier behind one of the stores theres like a spot, its right next to a handicap bench. If u cast straight out about 100 feet theres a slope and it goes down to a sandy bottom, and guess what there HALIs there all day. Usually what I do is I get me some anchovies on the other side of the pier bring it over and use it as live bait for the halibuts. I havn't been there for a while, but it should still be good
You outed your secret spot....