PDA

View Full Version : leopards  in monterey bay area....

tattooedfish1
02-19-2008, 08:40 PM
I used to catch leopards in the surf in santa monica but its totally different up here .where and when can I catch these guys in the monterey bay area from shore,what time of year ?...Beach ?,Elkhorn slough? piers?Jetties? what bait?hook size?thx.

gomezfish
02-19-2008, 08:45 PM
i bet elkhorn slough has some monsters , ide bring some squid on a sliding leader and soak in them waters at night

EastBayAngler
02-20-2008, 09:01 AM
Last year a buddy of mine told me to try Roe as shark bait....Now thats my goto for any shark fishing! Squid gets rays and junk...Roe only gets big sharks...Give it a try! ;)

BigSharkCatching
02-20-2008, 02:58 PM
Sliding sinker rigs, bloody Mackerel(big chunks- heads work well). Oh yeah...alot of the Monterey area has been closed to fishing by the MLPA's so double check before dropping a line.

gomezfish
02-21-2008, 09:40 PM
ey matt where do u get roe? the tray roe they sell at baitshops is cool?(uncured)

KOKANEEKIDTC
02-24-2008, 11:01 PM
you should be able to get some leopards up elkhorn slough. 4' range. try near the power plant area (same side) or up the slough a bit more by the dairy (same side too) years ago, they had a shot-gun start shark derby that started at the bridge and went as far as kirby park. many years ago, but can remember rays in the 150# range and sharks. caught a sea hare... an ugly blob in the bucket but is like a big snail without a shell... mine was 8# and i won a cane fishing pole. squid works but the bloody messy stuff worked better... mackerel, herring, etc. be careful about parking at kirby park as a few years ago, my cousins had their bronco and trailer stolen while they were out on the boat! better off to put in at the ramp by little baja / skippers or on the island at woodward's marine... a lot more secure there. good luck! tc

Sin_Coast
02-25-2008, 09:47 AM
Ya, Elkhorn Slough WAS a good fishing spot for leos (but mostly rays and thornbacks) until Sep 21, 2007. It is now the Elkhorn Slough state Marine Reserve. No fishing allowed.
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mlpa/pdfs/ccmpas_guide.pdf
Go to page 16 for details.

You can still fish near the HWY 1 bridge. But the tides affect the current dramatically so you have to plan your trip around the tides. There are decent spots on the south side of the bridge, both on the east side and west side. Just watch for cars when crossing the HWY to fish the east side.

Sometimes people catch leos off the beach in Carmel. I've seen some pics of nice ones caught at the bottom of Ocean ave. and off the pier in Stillwater Cove.

Good luck!

EastBayAngler
02-25-2008, 09:54 AM
ey matt where do u get roe? the tray roe they sell at baitshops is cool?(uncured)

Thats the gold dude! Well go to the spot in Hayward and I'll show ya bro! ;)

SpinReelFisher
02-28-2008, 04:04 PM
I haven't tried roe for leopards yet. I typically stuck to cut baits (squid, mack...etc)

Do you just use salmon roe? Off the shelf...? Like Pro-Cure roe in the package or are we thinking two different things here??

Thanks!

SRF