PDA

View Full Version : Sand Crab Classic Perch Tournament

scfisher831
02-23-2008, 08:24 PM
Any body fish it or have any reports of who won it also.I didn't fish it as I chased steelhead today.Hopefully conditions were good for the perch classic before the strom hit here today.

Sin_Coast
02-24-2008, 10:42 AM
Conditions were manageable. The raion started right as everybody came back for teh weigh-in (or, umm, measure-in).
I fished Manresa and Rio del Mar for 4 perch to 11 inches. All caught on the Gulp sandworms they gave away to contestants. Tried grubs for no love.
Winning perch was a monster slab, like 15.75 inches or so. Never seen a BSP that big. Now I know what they mean by "hubcap"!!!
The lunch was great. And the raffle prizes were plentiful.
PK

fishing_joker
02-24-2008, 02:41 PM
I was fishing at Rio Del Mar/ Aptos beach with two other people. I caught two striper 19.5" and 21" and seven perch. I saw a lot of big perch at the weigh in but some guys don't wants to disclose where they caught it and what bait the used. A few said the caught them using pile worms. I caught my fish on pile worms, sand crabs and ghost shrimp.

If any body know another good place to fish for surf perch let us know!

Earlyo
02-25-2008, 10:12 PM
What did you catch your stripers with?

fishing_joker
02-26-2008, 08:26 PM
Hey Earlyo,

I caught the bigger one a whole pile worm and the smaller one on pile worm, sand crab mix. I'm planning to be out there again this sat. I will post my result on sun. Let me know if anybody is catching anything out there.

Allen
02-27-2008, 10:29 AM
Any tips for a newbie surf perching/ striper fishing? I plan on being at Seacliff in a couple of weekends and hope to try out the waders surfing, or the Sanat Cruz Piers which I have done using a Sabiki/ squid strips for Jacksnipe(?) look like baby mackerel.

I have heard motoroil grubs on some sort of hook rig are good, and I was planning on using leadhead hooks like you would for black bass.

Thanks for any information

Allen

J1bigfish
02-27-2008, 04:14 PM
I have heard motoroil grubs on some sort of hook rig are good, and I was planning on using leadhead hooks like you would for black bass.

Thanks for any information

Allen

I wouldn't rig them on a jig head, it may work I don't do it that way though.

Get some motor oil 1.5" grubs, some small hooks, egg sinkers and barrel swivels. slide on the egg sinker, 1oz is good, then tie on the swivel and attach about a 2 foot leader and tie your grub on. It's basically a big carolina rig, and you fish it about the same. Cast it and slowly drag it back.

Good luck!