PDA

View Full Version : Bat Rays??

Danksta408
01-13-2008, 12:39 AM
Does anybody know of a good spot in SF off the 101 that's good for bat rays??

MB_Kevin
01-13-2008, 01:26 AM
We hooked alot at the Brisbane tubes right outside of SF on 101. Me and panfish got doubles once. That was fun. You can also get them at candlestick point off the piers or Oyster point all off of 101 just outside of SF. I don't know how well they bite right now with all the fresh water in the bay but always worth a shot.

Danksta408
01-13-2008, 08:11 AM
Candlestick Point is really slow right now........Can still get a few sharks but no bat rays

Crass
01-13-2008, 10:51 PM
yeah its been totally dead around the bay for rays on account of all the fresh water. i havent even hooked up on a shark in a while either. I cant wait for spring.

realdeal
01-14-2008, 12:02 AM
they any good to eat?

Crass
01-14-2008, 03:25 AM
ive heard things ranging from they taste like scallops, to they taste like fishy ground beef to being just all sinuey.

i dont know.. weary to try.

EastBayAngler
01-14-2008, 09:52 AM
Try the Giants Graveyard behind the Pier33 at RedsJava! Usual baits and fish the incoming from the west end of the parking lot! Last week a freind went out sharkin and only caught two rays in the 40# class on squid. Hope this helps!

EBA 8-)

EastBayAngler
01-14-2008, 09:54 AM
ive heard things ranging from they taste like scallops, to they taste like fishy ground beef to being just all sinuey.

i dont know.. weary to try.

Dont Bother! Yes you can eat them but they taste like poo! and its hard to clean then theres all these tendins in the meat that you have to pound out and all that for something that dont even taste that good! just my 0.02$ ;)

sehoner
01-14-2008, 10:30 AM
Don't know about bat rays, but stingrays taste pretty good.

Fillet the meat off the wings and soak in milk overnight. (this is to remove the ammonia)

punch out cubes with a cookie cutter or something and cook like shrimp or scallops.

It is a lot of work, but worth it IMHO.

A few old timers have told me the meat is a really good substitute in ciopino.

sjshark
01-16-2008, 05:07 PM
try around coyote point might be some there

Ben510le
01-16-2008, 11:43 PM

Fillet the meat off the wings and soak in milk overnight. (this is to remove the ammonia)

punch out cubes with a cookie cutter or something and cook like shrimp or scallops.

what is the difference between a sting ray and a bat ray?
all this time i thought they are the same

Danksta408
01-17-2008, 07:44 PM
Nice........I'm gonna hit it up

FisherBoats
01-17-2008, 07:53 PM

Are they not the same? :o :o I always thought they were too.

sehoner
01-17-2008, 08:30 PM

IONO, I thought stingrays had a stinger and bat rays didnt....

A bat ray with a stinger? Hmmm, interesting.
Kinda like spider pig.

:D

Ben510le
01-17-2008, 09:17 PM
ok so i only catch stingray.
what the heck is a bat ray then. this whole time i thought those thing i catch are bat rays

kromebrite
01-17-2008, 10:25 PM
batray has a big nasty barb at the base of the tail(where the tail meets the body) :o Serrated edges on it. No 'stinger" per se, just a big spear point that might leave a mark ;) Careful holding them with their backs to your gut when you take a picture.

sehoner
01-18-2008, 09:39 AM
batray has a big nasty barb at the base of the tail(where the tail meets the body) Serrated edges on it. No 'stinger" per se, just a big spear point that might leave a mark

Ok, so that means what I catch in monterey are stingrays. Since they have a spear thing that is not barbed.

I noticed when I cut it off a milky substance would ooze out.

Danksta408
01-18-2008, 07:09 PM
Yeah......You don't wanna end up like steve irwin

MB_Kevin
01-18-2008, 10:26 PM
[quote]
Ok, so that means what I catch in monterey are stingrays. Since they have a spear thing that is not barbed.

I noticed when I cut it off a milky substance would ooze out.

I believe when I was at the Monterey bay aquarium where you can pet the sting rays they said you could grab the stinger with pliers and just pull it out. That is what they did to make them safe to pet. I didn't know there was a difference between bat rays and stingrays.

gomezfish
01-19-2008, 12:22 AM
i lost a nice fishing pole due to a ray, i hooked into a 100# at the bolinas inlet and that thing took me all the way to stinsen beach! if u wanna test out some new gear , a large ray will put it to the test!

Danksta408
01-19-2008, 01:11 AM
Damn.........100#er...........From shore??

gomezfish
01-19-2008, 01:37 AM
bro that sh*t was like the size of a coffe table and yeah from shore
over near stinson beach

Danksta408
01-19-2008, 01:43 AM
Damn.......Gotta pic??

gomezfish
01-19-2008, 02:24 AM
not sure if it was 100 pounds cuz i never weight it, the one in my sig was the same night , it was bigger then thatone , even the one in my sig was huge , trust me ima big dude so i make it look smaller but the one ithink was 100 pounds gt away right at the bank..we never come prepared for big fish , no net or nothing so when we hook into something big we try to finesse it onto land , this thing was so big we couldnt slide it onto the sand without getting wet so my cousin trys to drag it by the line and it snapped halfway in the water still , it flapped a little and splashed then broke free ,it was huge though , i was lightweight scared cuz it was making a barking nose at us

Danksta408
01-19-2008, 02:38 AM
I know what ya mean

BigSharkCatching
01-20-2008, 05:05 AM
Here's a 100 pounder...(Batray):
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u203/Danjkeating/TripleDigitRay.jpg

And here is a stingray(round stingray):
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u203/Danjkeating/7-03-07morrocayucos001.jpg

People also catch skates(triangluar shape, light brown, no stinger), Thornback rays, and shovelnose guitar fish, and also electric rays(super rare). There's many more that aren't commonly caught, but thats a start. *Batrays have a barb at the base of the tail, the others are harmless.

metalmouth
01-20-2008, 08:00 AM
Thanks for the pics BSC. They are pretty easy to tell apart.

MM

MB_Kevin
01-20-2008, 11:17 PM
Looking at that I think all I have gotten in the bay is bat rays. Are there stingrays in there to?
I had one so big one day a guy there wanted to take it home. The 2 of us tried to get it up on shore with a short handled shovel he had in the car. We could not do it the thing was huge. Then it was stuck up in the rocks and I had to take panfish popper to a soccer game. Tide was going down so I dropped him off and got a big shovel and my sister and we went back and released it.

ric1ric
01-23-2008, 05:30 PM
Mostly you get bat rays in the bay, but there are many different kinds rays. I was stung by one last year in the foot. About a 1/2 inch dia. stinger right through the shoe and about a 3/4 inch deep. Burned for a couple of minutes but then it felt just like anything else 1/2 by 3/4 stuck in your foot would, ouch!!

Ben510le
01-23-2008, 06:25 PM
cool i catch a lot of bats then. yup they are nasty, my parent tried to cook it once, nasty!!! i also caught a guitar fish once, had a lot of meat kinda like a shark, but didnt get to eat it

Crass
01-23-2008, 07:55 PM
hey baitnbeer.. how you think Stinson is doin this time of year anyway? i was out there last night but not to fish.. just for cruisin arounds sake.

EastBayAngler
01-28-2008, 10:28 AM
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2007/07/photogalleries/giant-fishes/images/primary/7_461.jpg

Freshwater stingray MeKong river southeast Asia. ;)

realdeal
01-28-2008, 11:49 AM
Whoa, a freshwater stingray? I have to plan a fishing trip to the mekong! Thats where they got the world record freshwater fish, a huge cat...
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w235/jessemessy/catfish.jpg

SC_FISHER
01-30-2008, 07:24 PM
yea i've caught at least a good fifteen, 80+ pound bat rays right off the beach a little past the jedi at capitola beach.
they are only there during the summer though.
its a hell of a fight!
i caught them all on my surf rod with 20 pound test using squid!

Crass
01-30-2008, 08:49 PM
last one i got, my buddy had a cheapo reel on his 13' so when i went to crank, the ray tried to bolt at the same time, handle snapped off.. started unspooling.. long story short i pulled it in by hand. Wet braided line.. yikes! good thing i had sleeves so i didnt get cut!!

jerdh71
01-31-2008, 09:16 AM
that could ve been scary I think it would ve taken you water skiing

Crass
01-31-2008, 05:13 PM
probably. thank god for having a homeless dude and a buddy there to give a hand pulling it up onto the pier.

SpinReelFisher
02-01-2008, 12:07 PM
Anyone out at Berkeley lately? I always seem to see a slowdown this time of year...but then again, I haven't been able to get down there too often anymore.

Any reports?

Reelentless
02-13-2008, 04:12 PM
Here's what a buddy pulled up last Saturday night from Mission Bay in San Diego: 51" wingspan est. 120-140lbs

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa202/Latimeria/February092008022.jpg

And then topped it off with this yesterday afternoon: 69" Leo

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa202/Latimeria/February1220080042.jpg

Crass
02-13-2008, 06:14 PM
Thats one nice Lep!! Hope to start seein em in the SF Bay again soon..

gomezfish
02-14-2008, 10:13 AM
sweet jesus!!

gmdcdvm
02-22-2008, 09:17 PM
I think bat rays are just another type of ray, and sting ray is just a generic terms for various types of rays as well. Basically, they are all rays, and fall under various classifications depending on which one you are talking about.

I was looking on wikepedia, and here is what I found. Hope this helps, and apparently some people do eat bat rays.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bat_ray

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stingray

Gerry

jerdh71
02-23-2008, 08:33 AM
Thats the biggest leopard I ve ever seen

EastBayAngler
02-23-2008, 08:46 AM
Thats the biggest leopard I ve ever seen

Last year a guy caught a 7'er out at seal beach! Its on one of the pier fishing sites! :o :o :o...7FEET!!!! :o :o :o

gomezfish
02-23-2008, 12:13 PM
hey jerdh when does tomales start gettin good? dont u got a hotspot in those parts?

mrsockeye
02-24-2008, 09:49 PM
I ate one once. I wasn't to impressed. The white meat part seemed okay, the dark meat was definitely fishy. If I was hard up for fish I might eat it, but I'd rather go to the store and buy some than eat that stuff again.

GMONEY
02-25-2008, 06:48 AM

IONO, I thought stingrays had a stinger and bat rays didnt....

A bat ray with a stinger? Hmmm, interesting.
Kinda like spider pig.

:DBat Ray has a little horn.. or spine at the base of it's tail...and they WILL sink it to the hilt if given half a chance, it's the little ones you really gotta be carefule with.
Been sunk to the hilt!
Fish on,
Garret

EastBayAngler
02-25-2008, 09:27 AM
Myliobatis californica...Or eagle ray or Bat rays DO have spines that will put you in the ER! Not as poisonous as the sting ray. But can can stick into your bones pretty good.

Some poeple do eat them. You have to bleed them like a shark or the blood sours the meat! ;)

Westside_916
02-26-2008, 12:28 AM
Last year.. we got a 140+ lb ray off the rockwall.. The thing almost snapped the pole in 2 before we even got to it..those things dont screw around when it comes to biting.

We smoked rays before.. they came out pretty good.

Paisano
02-26-2008, 06:52 AM
Used to catch lots of bay rays at Tomales Bay as a kid. *The old fishermen used to talk about getting stuck with the barb. *Their home remedy was applying Adolph's Meat Tenderizer. *:-?*I guess the salty mixture would draw out the poison and help to dry out the wound. Anyone else ever heard of that?