PDA

View Full Version : Todays rockfish

MB_Kevin
02-16-2008, 08:30 PM
Fished in Pacifica today and got about 4 eels and 4 rockfish. *Nothin special. *I did see a few surf perch got at the beach. *I went back before dark to try for some surf perch and most of the beaches were closed by police. *I heard it was because of a rock slide. *So I didn't get much of a chance to try for them. *If anyone wants to say what kind of rock fish they are I always like to hear it. 8-)

http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/5835/1011231zr1.jpg

http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/740/1011232zr5.jpg

http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/4543/1011237ri1.jpg

http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/7739/1011239sp5.jpg

http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/9806/1011229hp3.jpg

ken_fishnfool
02-16-2008, 08:51 PM
3 of those pictures are cabezon, the big head, big fins underneath ones. The middle one looks kind of like a grass rockfish.
How big was that eel?
That's what I didn't get a couple of weeks ago.
Nice trip!

GCinGV
02-16-2008, 09:57 PM
Kelp, Grass, and Brown rockfish are often hard to tell the difference by color alone. One definitive difference is that Grass rockfish have shorter gill rakers compared to the other two. I'd say it's one of the three.
GC

MB_Kevin
02-16-2008, 10:10 PM
3 of those pictures are cabezon, the big head, big fins underneath ones. The middle one looks kind of like a grass rockfish.
How big was that eel?
That's what I didn't get a couple of weeks ago.
Nice trip!

I got 4 eels, none were huge but average size. I was trying not to target eels because I always get a bunch of those and was trying to get out there for some cabs or nice rockfish.
I just seen on the news why the cops had all the beaches closed. There was a rockslide and it partially berried a girl. Some guy dug her out and she only had moderate injuries :o That would have been a trip to see. I was planing on hiking down that hill to go fishing a few min after it happened :-?

MB_Kevin
02-16-2008, 10:52 PM
I found one hole that was killing me. I would let it down there for a while and then BAM something would pull it down hard but because of the way the rocks were set up I could not get a good angle on it to pull it out. I'm pretty sure it was a fish because it would be fine for a while then get pulled down hard. I was getting nailed by waves the whole time I was in that spot and after snapping my line 3 times I figured it was best to get out of that area. The waves were making fishing hard.

wading2fish
02-19-2008, 05:01 PM
good fishing MB! I'm just waiting for the crazy winter swells to die down a bit to get out there and do some rockhoppin'. I'll have to agree with both ken_fishinfool and GCinGV on the i.d. of those fish, tasty little critters if they are of legal size. BTW, eel is good eatin if you don't mind the hassle it is to prepare them for the pan, although even I usually don't keep them for that reason. Rockfish though, alot easier to prepare and IMO are even better tastin'. And oh yeah, either your daughter was out there with you, or you're toting a pink backpack now ;D

Jigster
02-19-2008, 08:03 PM
Eel makes great striper bait. Saw it on an episode Tred Barta. Hook'em on the lip, slap'em against the boat or a rock a few times to calm it down and send'em in the drink for Mr. Striper (not you Mr. Striper!). It was an episode of night fishing for Stripers on the East coast. They caught some BIG ones!

J

MB_Kevin
02-19-2008, 09:01 PM
And oh yeah, either your daughter was out there with you, or you're toting a pink backpack now ;D

;D Yea thats my rock hoppin bag. I think it was my daughters but I kind of took it over. Luckily only the handles are pink and the bag is black. Now that I think about it I probably look pretty funny with the pink stripes over my waders. :P Oh well as long as it don't scare the fish.

metalmouth
02-20-2008, 05:27 AM
Great post MB! Nice to see someone getting out and hooking up!

MM

EastBayAngler
02-20-2008, 08:57 AM
Killer MB! Nice one for getting on some rockies. Ive never caught an eel :'( My buddy says there great eating! Maybe this year? Thanks for the report bro! ;)

Big_Easy
02-20-2008, 01:10 PM
Are you allowed to use eel as bait? :-?

Jigster
02-20-2008, 02:51 PM
Good question. On the episode I saw they bought 4 dozen at a bait shop so it's legal on the East Coast. Anyone know if we can use eel in California?

J

Sin_Coast
02-20-2008, 04:07 PM
Sure, you can use monkey face eels as bait. But you are not going to catch anything...ever. In fact, the eel will probably hole-up and you'll have to break off. Lampreys, maybe. But not MFE.

Good looking fish, MB! I bet you already know which types of fish they are. You're probably just messing with us. But if you don't know what type of fish you're catching, pick up a reg book. Even if you are strictly fishing C+R, you can still get a ticket for targetting rockfish w/3 hooks, using 2 rods, removing undersize fish from the water for pics, etc. I am NOT saying that you did that or broke any type of law. Just stating that there are a lot of crazy regulations in the books. And it would totally suck to get busted for some lame infraction.

My guess is cabezon, cabezon, grass RF, cabezon, MFE.
Thanks for the great report+pics man!

lakehopper
02-20-2008, 04:33 PM
Here is what I think the fish are. The first to pics are cabazone. The third pic is a grass rockfish. The fourth is a kelp greenling, and the last an eel. Does anyone else have any input?

MB_Kevin
02-21-2008, 09:02 PM
*The fourth is a kelp greenling

*I thought it might be a greenling. *It was similar to a red one I had gotten a while back. *I have some Idea what they are but not always positive. I figured the first to be a cab and the 3rd a grass but I *was unsure on the 4th one I was thinking some sort of greenling. It had a smaller mouth and different markings/ fins. *I did know what all the eels were ;D

dandeuce
02-22-2008, 06:28 PM
The fourth one is definately NOT a greenling , its a cabezon !

realdeal
02-22-2008, 08:21 PM
I agree, the coloring tells me its a cab with a smaller than usual head

GottabKevin
02-24-2008, 09:37 PM
those are some nice cabs and a grass rockcod. ;D Where do u fish when u go to pacifica? The left of the beach where the rocks are?? you dont have to give me the exact area.