PDA

View Full Version : Humboldt Surfperch Report - Prez. Weekend

Hurricane5
02-22-2008, 06:06 PM
Well, as you see this is a few days late. *Price you pay for taking time off...but it was worth it! *Spent Saturday and Sunday at the Samoa boat launch. *Waves are still to risky for me, so I wanted to play it safe and just see what I could find. *Couldn't stop catching these Striped Perch! *Lost count, but took these three home for some Surf and Turf. *Good Stuff. * :P

The hot bait was shrimp. *Literally getting hit all day long the instant it hit the water. *Ended up switching over to squid or 'chovie whenever I wanted to sip on some coffee, but even then it just slowed but didn't die. *Great way to pass the time waiting for calmer days to chase their bigger rock cousins. * ;)

http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/5881/img2113kp6.th.jpg (http://img216.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img2113kp6.jpg)

tarbuckle
02-22-2008, 08:09 PM
Fun stuff.
I'll be at the Pg&E plant tomorrow. They should be there also. Going early before the big rain. . Hopefully the swell won't be broad siding the rocks. If they are, I now know where to go :)

Hurricane5
02-22-2008, 09:04 PM
Yeah, I made my way over there once last weekend. Got some shiners, but I always seem to get there just before low tide and get more frustrated getting the fish up the rocks than anything else. :-/

I'm telling ya, it was a blast. Once I brought in an 11 incher and about a 9 on the same line with two hooks. Pretty cool, course I thought I'd hooked up with a hali or something, and was actually somewhat disappointed. Looking back it was cool though.

tarbuckle
02-22-2008, 09:18 PM
Were you fishing around the structure off the ramp? I may just head over there instead. Calmer water , wind at my back, throw out a ring for some rock crabs and catch some perch .

Hurricane5
02-22-2008, 09:36 PM
Yeap, just to the left of the structures as you're looking at them.

Actually, didn't mention it above, but I did well with the crab too. Very busy! Much fun!!

tarbuckle
02-23-2008, 12:37 PM
Skunked >:( Only fished about an hour. Two guys had a bucket full when I got their. So I guess I just missed the bite. I did manage my first legal Dungie from shore.

Hurricane5
02-23-2008, 05:47 PM
Bummer...but hey, not blanked. For the crabs, do you use a ring from the shore? How far out can you get doing that? I was throwing a snare, and was getting them right next to the second structure. Wouldn't take but a coupla minutes for them to be one the snare...then it was just a matter of getting the darn thing to take. :-?

I was hitting the perch best during the high slack tide, but pretty good a coupla hours before and after high tide.

tarbuckle
02-23-2008, 06:03 PM
Normally I'll plan a little trip around the tides. But this time it was a matter of planning it before the rain started.
I was out their about 3 hours into the incoming. Water was moving at a good clip. I figured the guys that scored before me must have hit them at the change. When it started raining hard I decided to leave and not wait for the top of the tide.
I use a ring. Tie on some raw chicken, walk to the end of the ramp ( right side) and give it a whirl. Almost all rock crab, but I've got some huge ones their.

Hurricane5
02-23-2008, 06:13 PM
Hmm...I might need to try a ring. The snare works okay, but it can be frustrating, at least 50% of the time I would get them up to the rocks, close enough to see and generate a bit of drool, then watch them slip off. >:( But I did manage to get 4 nice ones in the bucket last time.

HSUSteelie
02-24-2008, 10:19 AM
The PGE Plant was SLOW on Friday I should have posted then but it skipped my mind.

We were at the outflow from 11-3 with the tide change right in the middle from high to low around 1230.

Didn't even get a bite. I think the swell has just a bit much and the tide was moving pretty good too - I had to use 2 or 3 oz to stay on the bottom.

I might go out to Samoa next week - I have never tied there.

The_Talis
02-24-2008, 02:59 PM
There's lots of striped perch and greenling at the north jetty near the cypress trees. Also some small to mid-sized rockfish and eels. Incoming tides are the ticket. I've been hitting it at least a couple times a week and have done well every time, even when the outer ocean is kicking up 10+ foot swells.