PDA

View Full Version : Golden Gate

fishingfanatic
02-01-2008, 09:04 PM
Does/has anyone ever fished under the golden gate bridge (north tower) from schore? I heard that it's possible to catch stripers and an occasional salmon there in the summer... Anyone ever heard of this?

thanks
ff

Crass
02-02-2008, 02:41 AM
hard to get out, yet possible. hie, boy, hike! keep your perishables in the old bunker, if it hasnt been sealed up. (been a while)

if you wanna go to Ft. Point pier instead anytime, just hit me up and we can meet.

Feesh-On
02-03-2008, 12:17 AM
I was taking a physical for work when I saw a picture on the wall taken from shore when the GG bridge was being built. About 4-5 shore fisherman with long poles fishing the surf. This was a b&w photo and half the bridge had not been built... or atleast the middle. Dunno what they were targeting, but the photo was soo cool I would have loved to of been able to talk to the guys fishing in it....

Edit.. I found the pic...

http://www.photosofoldamerica.com/webart/large/90.jpg

Redwine
02-03-2008, 09:30 AM
The B&W picture that Feesh-On posted was taken in the late 1930's.

Years ago I was in an art gallery in San Francisco, and they had a beautiful copy of that same photo on display.
One of the men in the gallery said that when he was a kid his father would take him along striper fishing in the same spot back where the photo was taken.
He went on to say that his father would only keep the stripers that were over twenty pounds.

Times sure have changed!

GCinGV
02-04-2008, 08:35 AM
Great pic.
I use to fish under both the towers quit a bit from the boat, in the summer for Rockfish, Halibut and Stripers doing pretty well with both live and dead Anchovies. *
One day something I had somehow never thought of happened when a piece of welding rod dropped from the tower hit the bill of my cap. *:o I took it as a warning and quit fishing directly under the tower after that. From that high, one of those 7 lb rivets would go right through the hull no problem.
GC

ken_fishnfool
02-04-2008, 10:51 AM
This time of year there is a chance to catch a few rockcod on the Marin side. Also this is when the sand dabs come in and are reachable from the jetty/shorline. Use pieces of squid on a Hi/Lo setup.

fishhook60
02-04-2008, 11:53 AM
that area looks like the same beach that my cousin and i fished near and 3 halibut were landed, i didnt land any i have a habit if setting the hook and was told you cant do that on halibut so i had to settle for stripers

realdeal
02-04-2008, 12:45 PM
that has always been my problem! Last summer I missed numerous butts because I was setting the hook. Then it was expalined to me that since their mouths are sideways, the act of setting the hook actually just pulls the hook out

fishhook60
02-04-2008, 12:50 PM
yeah i have caught a few since then and the stripers usually hit like a freight train and the halibut are soft bites so i kinda know not to set hook

slick88
02-04-2008, 01:15 PM
that has always been my problem! Last summer I missed numerous butts because I was setting the hook. Then it was expalined to me that since their mouths are sideways, the act of setting the hook actually just pulls the hook out

I attended the seminar at the last ISE show in San Mateo where James Smith of the Cal Dawn was teaching. He said that women make better halibut fishermen because most of them don't even realize that there is even a halibut on the line, hence they never yank the rod and set the hook. So if you see your rod has a fish on, have some patience and let the halibut hook himself. :D

Feesh-On
02-04-2008, 02:03 PM
Nothing like the headshakes of a halibut... especially on light line.

pinfish
02-04-2008, 03:10 PM
that's baker's beach and they're probably fishing for stripers

Feesh-On
02-04-2008, 03:14 PM
that's baker's beach and they're probably fishing for stripers

I just read its a nudist beach too. :-?

fishingfanatic
02-04-2008, 07:18 PM
How do I get to Bakers Beach?

ff

jdecker
02-11-2008, 05:15 PM
It is true, women do catch more halibut, my wife is the "Queen of the suicide take down"! Never fails, getting a beer or taking a leak, BAM! Fish on!

twoelk48
02-11-2008, 06:05 PM
Nude beach ::) count me in ;D ;D ;D Kent

ken_fishnfool
02-12-2008, 04:32 PM
You have to REALLY closely watch your backcast at Bakers!
There are some nice striper and perch spots there, though! :-* ;D

Brown_catfish
02-20-2008, 07:36 PM
They dont catch that much anymore by golden gate...the good ol' days are gone man..

ECVMatt
02-21-2008, 09:36 AM
How much of the beach is left? Isn't it all Ft Baker now and, due to Homeland Security you can only fish from the pier east?

MoMoney
02-22-2008, 08:46 AM
I was taking a physical for work when I saw a picture on the wall taken from shore when the GG bridge was being built. About 4-5 shore fisherman with long poles fishing the surf. This was a b&w photo and half the bridge had not been built... or atleast the middle. Dunno what they were targeting, but the photo was soo cool I would have loved to of been able to talk to the guys fishing in it....

Edit.. I found the pic...

http://www.photosofoldamerica.com/webart/large/90.jpg
Feesh-on Where did you see that pic?They had that on a place I used to work for in Santa Clara.I worked there 11 years and used to stare at that pic every morning going in to get coffee.Cool Pic!!