PDA

View Full Version : Pescadara Rockfishing report 2/09(shore)

joshc40
02-11-2008, 07:07 PM
Went to a state beach close to half moon bay and decided to do some rock fishing while I was there. Got to the beach and the waves were huge and the water was pretty rough. It looked like rock fishing was not going to be possible. But after looking around, I found a cove that looked like I could fish in it without putting myself in danger. So, I got my pole and brother and started fishing. At first, we didn't even get a hit and I figured out why, the place where we were casting was way too shallow. So I put on some weight and tossed my line as far as I could. After fifteen minutes, caught a nice 15+ cab and decided to keep it because it swallowed the hook. I cut the line and put the fish in a nearby pond to see if it would spit out the hook but it ended up swallowing it instead. That was the only fish we caught all day. Fished for about three hours and only one cab. Not very good but the conditions weren't all that great so I guess it's not too bad. Anyways, the bait we were using was ab guts. Didn't stay on too well but always works. After gutting it, I found the hook in it's stomach and put it back in the tackle box to use it later ;D. Sorry guys, no pics but I have to say, the cab did have a nice purplish color to it. Thanks for reading and God bless.

Joshc40

MB_Kevin
02-11-2008, 07:24 PM
Good Job 8-)
Thanks for the report. I need to get out there. The waves have been keeping me away. This makes me think I should go.

triggerfish
02-12-2008, 07:37 AM
WOW, an actuall saltwater fishing report!!! Good job!

Sin_Coast
02-12-2008, 01:48 PM
Right on Josh!
Keep at it, you'll get more fish. But a nice fat cabezon ain't that bad bro. Plus, they taste great.

Thanks for the report!
PK

ken_fishnfool
02-12-2008, 02:44 PM
One fish is a LOT better then none!
I tried a little of that a little further south, last week. I found perfect waves and tide, but the water was a little too muddy, couldn't buy a bite. How was the water looking there?
Thanks for the report!

joshc40
02-12-2008, 04:16 PM
One fish is a LOT better then none!
I tried a little of that a little further south, last week. I found perfect waves and tide, but the water was a little too muddy, couldn't buy a bite. How was the water looking there?
Thanks for the report!

To be honest, the water was really bad. Man, I have never seen waves that big before in that area. I sat on the beach for like an hour waiting for the waves to drop and the water to calm down but they just wouldn't! So I found a spot and started fishing anyways cause I was really bored. The only real advice i can give is find a nice cove that is protected by rocks. Also, toss your line out as far as possible if the weather is really bad. Try some squid because it stays on longer then shrimp or ab gut. The lining on the ab gut also works well. I would also suggest tying the knot for the weight at the bottom really weakly. So when you get a snag, you only lose your weight and not your hooks. I saved a bunch of hooks by doing that. If you can't find a nice cove like I did, just don't fish in bad conditions. Safety first. Hope this helps some people out.

Josh

ken_fishnfool
02-12-2008, 04:28 PM
Safety first is absolutley right! The waves dictated which beaches I tried, and those had off-colored water. I past some beaches and coves, on my way back home, that looked sooo inviting, but were too bad for comfort. How did the water look on the sandy part of Pescadero (N. of the rocks)?
With big waves like that, there might be some good perch in there, if the water is clear.

SC_FISHER
02-12-2008, 05:48 PM
i went out on the 11th to pigeon point and we caught like 10 cabs and greelings
to bad we didnt keep any kuz our friend told us that they had to be at least like 22 inches
and most of them were like 20 inches and like 5-8 pounders
ohh well they will live to fight another day

joshc40
02-12-2008, 10:18 PM
i went out on the 11th to pigeon point and we caught like 10 cabs and greelings
to bad we didnt keep any kuz our friend told us that they had to be at least like 22 inches
and most of them were like 20 inches and like 5-8 pounders
ohh well they will live to fight another day

Those are some huge fish man! Greenlings have to be 12 inches and cabs 15 to be legal. I've never heard of anyone catching greenlings that big before and I've heard people catch one or two greenlings up to 6 pounds but nothing more than that. That is some good fishing you had man.

SC_FISHER
02-13-2008, 07:50 AM
yea they were huge!
thats why im pissed that we didnt get to keep any!

overthehill
02-13-2008, 08:49 AM
The wife and I were in Santa Cruz on Sunday and the waves had died down. One thing I do if I'm fishing a rocky area on the coast is I use tobacco pouches. You can buy them at any smoke shop and they aren't to pricey. Just fill them up with sand or gravel to get the weight you want tie on and cast away. If you get hung up the pouches break off and you still have your hook. If you don't mind spending 5 bucks try Martins Beach just south of HMB a great place to fish on the coast.

Sin_Coast
02-13-2008, 11:32 AM
Ya, the record kelp grenling is like 3lbs. And the record rock greenling is like 5lbs. So I doubt anybody caught a bunch of 5lb greenies. Cabezon, yes. Lingcod, yes. But greenling, no! I call shenanigans.
Probably just got confused about which fish were caught. Get a reg booklet; they have an ID chart with pics of different rockfish. It also has a list of regulations.
Good luck,
PK

Big_Easy
02-13-2008, 02:59 PM
Yep, I agree! :o Those were some huge fish ya caught there son! PK has it right 3lbs is a monster! 6lbs cab would be nice, but you don't get them that often! :-/

joshc40
02-13-2008, 04:04 PM
The wife and I were in Santa Cruz on Sunday and the waves had died down. One thing I do if I'm fishing a rocky area on the coast is I use tobacco pouches. You can buy them at any smoke shop and they aren't to pricey. Just fill them up with sand or gravel to get the weight you want tie on and cast away. If you get hung up the pouches break off and you still have your hook. If you don't mind spending 5 bucks try Martins Beach just south of HMB a great place to fish on the coast.

Those tobacco pouches are pretty nice. What I usually do when using them is I put some of the ab gut that is mushy and cannot be used inside the bag. I've heard from my buddy Gottabkevin that this guy caught a 4 pound cab by stuffing gut in a tobacco pouch. The funny thing is, the cab bit the tobacco pouch! He actually saw two guys and they both used that method. No hook, just the pouch.

Tbonz69
02-21-2008, 07:23 PM
HAVE A ? about the AB guts do alot of AB diving and always have alot of guts dont know what part to use for fishing I usally use the lips that I cut off the ABs at cleaning time. The AB guts are mostly alot of kelp in the stomachs and cant even try to put that crap on a hook so what part of the guts would you use? Thanks in advance Tbonz :-?

joshc40
02-21-2008, 08:55 PM
HAVE A ? about the AB guts do alot of AB diving and always have alot of guts dont know what part to use for fishing I usally use the lips that I cut off the ABs at cleaning time. The AB guts are mostly alot of kelp in the stomachs and cant even try to put that crap on a hook so what part of the guts would you use? Thanks in advance Tbonz :-?

I would try to use the parts closest to the tip of the gut. Try freezing the ab gut, it stays on much better when frozen. You can also just use the lip part or the ab meat part that is stuck to the gut. That usually works pretty well. The mushy gut should just go in the tobacco pouches if you're using them.