PDA

View Full Version : McNears Beach Pier Closure

Ranger_Jim
01-05-2008, 09:28 AM
Too all who fish the pier at McNears Beach Park in San Rafael, it will be closed til furhter notice, due to a barge that broke away during the storm and rammed it. The pier has shifted about four feet to the North and the South end of the tee at the end of the pier has fallen into the bay. The closure will be a very very long time because the photos I have seen indicate (imo) that the whole thing needs to be replaced. More to come as soon as I hear it.

Ranger Jim

Redwine
01-05-2008, 11:04 PM
Thanks Jim!

exocet
01-07-2008, 08:43 AM
Wow thanks for the info Jim. I hope that the barge owners or their insurance will be paying for the replacement.

Ranger_Jim
01-07-2008, 08:55 AM
The owners or those who are and were responsible for the barge is the Dutra Rock Quarry, the County of Marin and Dutra do not have a nice relationship for past legal fights and now the upcoming who's going to pay for a new dock fight. No updates yet but look for the closure to last years at least :'(.

Ranger Jim

exocet
01-07-2008, 09:05 AM
Yup I know all about Dutra. Last year they had a submerged barge out in san pablo bay that was barely marked. A guy running back to san rafael with his kid on board hit the barely marked barge and his boat sunk. Luckily he and his son were rescued without anyone being hurt.

MontanaN8V
01-07-2008, 09:09 AM
I know that the quarry is limited to only 125 loads a day out the gate! The thing about that is, it is a great aggregate sourch, good quality rock and asphalt, and the people complain about the roads being poor, and need for construction. They do not understand, for this area, it is the only source. Nicasio has a quarry, but other than that, this is the only one. So, they barge their rock to other sale yards, and rip rap to repair levees. Not to highjack the thread, but I do believe they got a raw deal from the county on their use permit. If I was Mr. Dutra, a ton of rock would sell for $200! I would like to think that they will pay for the rehab of the pier, they are a stand up company from what I have seen, and they do a lot for the communities, so keep an eye out, I am sure they will put their best foot forward.

MontanaN8V
01-07-2008, 09:14 AM
I went out to investigate the sunken barge, it was right by the dock, yeah, it was hard to mark, the current rips through there. The current did indicate the barge location with disruption, and was easy to see if you pay attention, and, it is not a good practice to run that close to a loading dock, there is a lot of space to swing wide in that area. They brought in divers to repair and float the barge, yes, it should not have taken as long to float it, but the red tape involved with army corp delayed getting the job done. It was talked about hooking up to a D-10 and dragging it to the beach on the south side of the dock, but red tape stopped that. Again, look for Dutra to make it right with the pier.

kokanee31
01-08-2008, 06:54 AM
Hey all and Ranger Jim,

I thought you would like to see some photos of the pier. Jim I know your home computer is a little slow so I posted these for you. Plus I finally remembered my password. :)

Looks as if no fishing for a while...(Ranger) Craig.

p.s. Having a few problems getting to photo to resize but you get the idea.

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t100/kokaneejr/MCN1.jpg

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t100/kokaneejr/MCN2.jpg

Ranger_Jim
01-08-2008, 09:34 AM
MontanaN8V, I'm not defending the county nor against a quarry that
has been operating for over 100 years, but I do know that they want to buy property for a future quarry near Bodega that has a stream on it that still has a viable native steelhead trout population, and they were fined $735 K for dumping or leaking dredging material from 1999-2003 in unapproved areas including a federal marine sanctuary (The Farralons).
People that have been complaining about the quarry are the same type of people that complain about airplane noise after they bought a home near an airport, ignorant. These people needed to do there due diligence and investigate the area they were thinking of buying in.
I do understand the need for material, I use alot in my job along with the rest of the construction and maintenance world. But in my opinion this company is not a true friend of the fishing community. That's all,

Ranger Jim