PDA

View Full Version : clamming in bodega

keelhaulinrob
12-10-2007, 06:11 PM
Hey have any of you ever clammed in bodega? ive always wanted to try, but dont know how any suggestions?

sethonious
12-12-2007, 08:48 AM
Since ship breaking was such a huge part of the bodega industry I would not want to eat any clams from the bodega proper area. There are a lot of toxins in the sand there. I would head elsewhere to find clams.

ric1ric
12-12-2007, 11:04 AM
What do you mean by ship breaking ?

SUNRISECHASER
12-12-2007, 11:09 AM
Yes, you can clam at Bodega. Start from Doran side and walk out on low tide. Clam across from the Westside launch near the channel.
Sethonious never has anything good to say anyways...Don't listen.

keelhaulinrob
12-12-2007, 12:04 PM
thank you do you just dig with a shovel?

abdiver12
12-12-2007, 01:05 PM
You need to get a 3 foot high x 2 ft wide pvc pipe to shove in the hole or when you dig, the sand will keep caving in on you. *And you have to dig deep for the big clams then reach in the hole as far as you can to feel for the neck. *Look for the biggest air holes in the sand when choosing a spot, they indicate the largest clams. *Here's some photos that illustrate the process:

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m280/abdiver12/clam.jpg

Be prepared to get muddy and wet (note the expression on his face)! *You can just make out the pvc pipe under his shirt.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m280/abdiver12/clam2.jpg

What you should end up with - a nice fat horseneck clam.

dbass
12-13-2007, 01:18 PM
The bay water doesn't really move out very much at tide change, I would never recommend eating anything for inside the bay, diesel spills, sewer spill and who knows what they don't tell. There's a $hit load @ Elkhorn landing near Moss Landing, I wouldn't eat those either (because of th PCB contamination. I would do Tomales for clams. I would not just try for the old Clams the medium younger clams are always better eating..(safer).. to!

dbass
12-13-2007, 01:20 PM
Looks like Lawson's *:)
You need to get a 3 foot high x 2 ft wide pvc pipe to shove in the hole or when you dig, the sand will keep caving in on you. *And you have to dig deep for the big clams then reach in the hole as far as you can to feel for the neck. *Look for the biggest air holes in the sand when choosing a spot, they indicate the largest clams. *Here's some photos that illustrate the process:

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m280/abdiver12/clam.jpg

Be prepared to get muddy and wet (note the expression on his face)! *You can just make out the pvc pipe under his shirt.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m280/abdiver12/clam2.jpg

What you should end up with - a nice fat horseneck clam.

sethonious
12-13-2007, 04:48 PM
So sunrise chaser doesn't think my advice is any good, but there are very high levels of hexavalent chromium in bodega. You could not pay me any sum of money to eat any filter feeders that come out of that mud. Dbass seems to agree with me, but hey it is your health. If you want to follow sunrise chaser's advice... go for it. I am just an environmental scientist, what do I know?

There are safer places to dig clams.

foggy
12-13-2007, 07:14 PM
Since ship breaking was such a huge part of the bodega industry I would not want to eat any clams from the bodega proper area. There are a lot of toxins in the sand there. I would head elsewhere to find clams.

Where are you getting your information about ship breaking?

I would be more concerned about levels of marine mammal excrement. Every so often, they have to shut down Campbell Cove because of the level of contamination.

keelhaulinrob
12-13-2007, 08:18 PM
well about clams you should thank them for creating such a clean bay in the bay area, supposedly china clams indegiouns creatures that got here from ballast water on a big vessel, has no known enemy's so their population is huge, their for those axact clams filter all the bays water in about a 24 hour period you may not want to eat them, but they do wonders for your bay.

Allen
12-13-2007, 09:33 PM
So what is ship breaking, and what is the source of hexavalent chrome? Isn't hexavalent chrome from TCE ?

Allen

Silver_Hilton
12-13-2007, 10:09 PM
Isn't hexavalent chrome from TCE ?

Allen

Nope. Apples and Aardvarks. Hex chrom is the toxic metal compound made famous in the Erin Brokovich movie....a (hazardous) sister of regular chromium. TCE is an organic solvent. I've seen sites with both, but only where they were both used and spilled.

I'd also be interested in the meaning of ship breaking, and why Bodega has hex. chrom. in the sediment.....

fbanaria
12-13-2007, 10:24 PM
[quote author=abdiver12 link=1197339109/0#5 date=1197493549]You need to get a 3 foot high x 2 ft wide pvc pipe to shove in the hole or when you dig, the sand will keep caving in on you. *And you have to dig deep for the big clams then reach in the hole as far as you can to feel for the neck. *Look for the biggest air holes in the sand when choosing a spot, they indicate the largest clams.

Are you sure the diameter of the PVC tube should be 2 feet? Isn't that too wide?

Thanks,
Brat Popper *

sethonious
12-14-2007, 08:28 AM
From the early 1800's to the early 1900's (about 100 years) the largest industry along bodega bay was a shipyard and taneries (not very clean industries). During that time the average life of a ship was only 3-5 years due to the poor quality of the wood and the dificulty to cure the wood. After 3-5 years the ships were then broken in the bay and repurposed.

It has also been a fishing outpost for the last 200+ years. When a bay is used for that long for ship berthing the sediment will surely become tainted. The chromium comes from a long history of many many boats using toxic antifouling paints and ablative paints before they were outlawed.

MontanaN8V
12-14-2007, 08:46 AM
I think that if you exercise, eat right, don't smoke, you are going to die anyway.
CLAM BAKE ANYONE?

SUNRISECHASER
12-14-2007, 12:58 PM
Yes, we're all dying...might as well live it up and have as much fun as you can while living. No hard feelings seth, I'm just jealous of your scorecard. :-*

SUNRISECHASER
12-14-2007, 01:08 PM
P.S. I've been eating Bodega clams for 20+ years and I'm still alive and healthy.

foggy
12-14-2007, 07:06 PM
Here is a link for a beach report on line.
I sure would like to see a report on what is in the beach like toxins.
http://www.healthebay.org/brc/reportgrades/default.asp?type=1&county=1&year=2007

Captain_Morgan
12-15-2007, 08:38 AM
We eat them out of Tomales bay. I suppose there's something wrong with them there too!! Oh well..I've lived a good life, PASS THE CLAMS!!! ;D
I think we could go on & on about how its not safe to eat anything out of the ocean,but do we stop, no!

jdecker
12-17-2007, 12:13 PM
Great pictures from abdiver! Now have you ever had to dig a ring around your clam tube and go down another foot? Now that is when it gets fun! Tomales is great spot and they got a lot of big (clean) clams.

abdiver12
12-18-2007, 01:52 AM
Clamming in Tomales was the dirtiest thing I've ever done. Was absolutely covered in stinky mud from head to toe. They should get Mike Rowe to do a clamming episode of "Dirty Jobs."

Captain_Morgan
12-18-2007, 10:42 AM
We were there(Tomales) for 10 days during Thanksgiving. Claming is fun when you have a crazy group of friends & family. It can be alot of work when your trying to get 6 limits & hung over from the night before. :) This is only half our crew, we had spotters,diggers(short arms) & clamers.

With this tube we can get up to four clams at a time. I'd say he's below sea level. ;D
http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/501/medium/IMG_1488-mini.JPG

Some people thought we were crazy
http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/501/medium/IMG_1476-mini.JPG
Get'er Done!!
http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/501/medium/IMG_1487-mini.JPG

http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/501/medium/IMG_1480-mini1.JPG

http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/501/medium/IMG_1546-mini.JPG

abdiver12
12-18-2007, 01:16 PM
Great photos, looks like you guys had a blast.

jdecker
12-18-2007, 06:08 PM
Now that is what I call a dirty job! Did you say 6 limits? Your hands must have taken a beating.

Captain_Morgan
12-18-2007, 09:34 PM
We tried to get 6 limits & never did. I think we stopped at 35 clams. It was getting dark that day. I dug for 3 days out of my ten there. Not only do your hands & knuckles get beat up, your arm pit gets pretty bruised from digging in that tube with your arms extended.It all depends on the tide,on how many we got. But we all ate clam fritters & everyone went home with clams. Its worth it !! I threw away the only clothes I was digging in, that stinky mud hangs with you for awhile, its all part of the fun. ;D

keelhaulinrob
12-18-2007, 10:12 PM
man that sounds awesome ive never done it but really want to try to get into it.

seaduck
12-19-2007, 08:25 AM
I also have been digging and eating clams out of bodega for 20+ years. I don't use a tube when I dig. I was thought how to dig for them years ago and never dig a hole without getting the calm and can also tell you what type of clam it is before I start digging. many time I will mark out my limit then go abck and dig them up. If anyone is interested in meeting sometime for a digging party let me know. But just plan on getting dirty and cutting up your hands

Martinez Frank
12-19-2007, 03:43 PM
We used to get washington clams at bodega I think the acess road is closed now but we used a steel probe rod in the mud, you looked for a hole in the mud that looked like a key hole, stick the rod down and you would hit the clam, then break up the mud and stick your arm down and pull em up, this was in the 70's and early 80's. As for being pulluted I heard some reports 15 years ago that that area is pulluted but who knows, we ate them alot and my dad and grandfather both died of prostrate cancer, no idea if it was connected to that or not but I haven't had clams out of bodega for a long time. The place is as you come into Doran park coming down the hill to the right at low tide there is a big mud spot, that is the place the acess road was behind the Bodega realty building on hwy 1

abdiver12
12-20-2007, 01:30 AM
Anyone ever pulled a geoduck before? I've heard rumors that you can get them in Tomales but haven't met anyone who's done so yet.

Fishbutt21
12-20-2007, 08:24 AM
Of the thousands of washington and horse necks my family has dug in Bodega bay we have only found one geoduck and it was super deep and about four times the size of a big horseneck

jdecker
12-20-2007, 12:58 PM
The ducks are harder to find at Tomales, not sure why.

seaduck
12-23-2007, 08:49 AM
looking at the paper I noticed there was a low tide around 4pm yesterday. So loaded up my shovel and boots. Got to bodega around 2 and by 3 was headed back to santa rosa with a limit of nice size clams both horsenecks and washington's. clam friters and chowder tonight with a little bread and wine on the side

abdiver12
12-23-2007, 09:51 AM
Sounds delicious, great catch!

keelhaulinrob
12-23-2007, 07:11 PM
you lucky sea duck i want clams in my dinner.

jdecker
12-23-2007, 07:36 PM
Ummm, clam fritters, my favorite!

Exox
12-24-2007, 08:48 AM
Very good info, thank you guys.
I'm learning how to clam, I guess you only target big holes, but can you target smaller clams? How do you tell the difference from ghostshrimp holes?
Last time I got little neck clams (in sandy-rocky areas), is there anyway to clean them (sand-gravel) without opening them? I steamed them. I heard to put them in a gallon of cold water with 1/3 a cup of salt. But it didn't work at a 100%.
Any input would be really apreciated.
Merry Christmas and good fishing-clamming to all.

seaduck
12-24-2007, 09:38 AM
The way I was shown to find and dig clams was to walk around and stick your finger in the hole. You will feel the neck of the clam pull away. mark the hole and look for another then start digging. With a little practice it is very easy to tell the size and type of clam before you dig it up.
For horesnecks look for hole about the size of a quater many times you can see the neck in the hole. If you want washington's look for the muddies area and hole about the size of your finger.

Exox
12-26-2007, 11:07 PM
Thank you very much for the advise I'll try that.

jdecker
12-27-2007, 07:10 AM
The best way to tell how big the clam is before digging them up is to find the hole, approach is in a quiet crawl mode (knees on the ground, hands shoulder width apart). Situate yourself to have one hand on each side of the hold and don't breath heavy, now put your eye over the hole and shout "Sniffers!"

EastBayAngler
12-27-2007, 08:47 PM
The best way to tell how big the clam is before digging them up is to find the hole, approach is in a quiet crawl mode (knees on the ground, hands shoulder width apart). Situate yourself to have one hand on each side of the hold and don't breath heavy, now put your eye over the hole and shout "Sniffers!"

Well,... I'll never try that again! :P...OK 1 more time! ;D Can I wear goggles though? :'(

metalmouth
12-28-2007, 05:09 AM
Great thread! I'm adding a link to the FAQ's.

MM

beardancing
12-28-2007, 08:06 AM
Hey all,
This from a 1940's copy of the Joy of Cooking *"To clean clams...
Wash them in several waters, then cover them with cold brine of 1/2 cup salt for eah gallon of water and sprinkle on top 1/4 cup corn meal for each quart of clams. Leave in bath 3 to preferably 12 hrs. This whitens them, rids them of sand and causes them to eject the black material in their stomachs. After soaking, wash them again in clear water." I've tried this a couple of times in Washington and noticed alot less grit.

Exox
12-28-2007, 10:29 PM
Great!! Good info, thank you!! :D

dbass
01-02-2008, 07:01 AM
I was a very simple way by some old clammers, just get you live clam and insert a sharp knife near the base (opening) and cut the muscle that holds the shell together, their are to main muscles that do it. It very simple, I'm suprises that know has mentioned this method, I've cleaned hundreds *by this method. It would be wise to let them soak overnight to cleans themselves. The next morning pop it open like a jewelry box, cut of the neck (then let it soak in warm water) *then you can peel of the outer skin layer, and main body slit stomach.. flush it out. We *always did as a assembly line method ..(goes alot faster)..give it try..so simple ;)