PDA

View Full Version : Humboldt Bay perchin' 11/23

office_pirate79
11-24-2007, 11:12 PM
Headed up north for Turkey Day w/ the fam and step-dad, uncle, & I thought some time on the rocks behind the power plant (King Salmon Ave.) was in order. We stopped at our usual spot just behind the plant where the shore curves in and didn't even get a bite.

We decided to move up a little further towards the end of the power plant where there looked to be an outlet of some sort (a little pond to our right & behind the fence). It looked REAL fishy...some good water movement and a nice area where moving water met a calm spot. We set up shop & threw out our hi/lo w/ shrimp. Immediately we're getting bit but couldn't get anything to stick. Not even a couple minutes later a school of chovies or dines is boiling the surface and jumping all over the place. Then a good size fish busted the surface right in front of my uncle. From the glimpse he got, he estimated it to be in the 3 or 4 pound range. My unc & I cut off our perch rigs and started throwing some hardware at whatever it was that was feasting. He was throwing a big Kastmaster and I tied on a bucktail w/ a worm trailer...all for nada.

Any ideas on what the big fish busting the surface might be? I'm from the SF Bay Area and my initial diagnosis would be a striper, but I'm told they don't go that far north. Surface action from a rockfish??? I really couldn't think of anything else. Also keep in mind this was all happening about 10 ft from the rocks.

Well, we continued to get nibbles and watch some freaked out baitfish and a happy predator do their thing...came up with a big ol' goose egg. I can't complain too much as we were sitting in the warm sun on Humboldt Bay in November eating leftover turkey sandwiches and wetting some lines 8-). Can't ask for too much more than that! :D

OP

realdeal
11-25-2007, 04:01 AM
HMMM.... maybe a blue or black rockfish was the jumper

ocean314
11-25-2007, 08:10 AM
Around the Ft Bragg area when we get fish busting on the surface its olives or blue rockfish. But we throw small spoons or diamond jigs at them and just have a ball.
I have seen small salmon busting on bait fish perhaps thats what they where.

BigSharkCatching
11-26-2007, 01:29 AM
Salmon, Striper, Rockfish, and possibly even Steelhead. Only one way to find out! ;)

tarbuckle
11-28-2007, 10:07 AM
The Coho's are in the Bay now. The warm water coming out of the PG&E plant would attract them. But on the other hand, If they were Coho's, you would think the Kastmaster would have done something.

office_pirate79
11-28-2007, 10:27 AM
My thoughts exactly!!! I thought the Kastmaster would get busted as soon as it hit the water. The scene was pretty wild. Man! A coho would've been awesome!

OP