PDA

View Full Version : Angel Island

Legalbeagle
02-03-2010, 09:45 AM
Well, this might be interesting. The weekend after next, I'll be camping out on Angel Island. I plan to bring a fishing pole--probably my salmon rod, baitcaster. What should I try for? Striper, flounder, starfish ;D?

I don't ususally fish salt water, I'll just happen to be in the area and I rarely go anywhere without a pole. Any advice would be greatly appreciated and I'll be sure to post my results.

Cheers,
Beagle

sharks101
02-03-2010, 11:08 AM
I know the west side of the island is good for leopard sharks.

GCinGV
02-03-2010, 11:30 AM
Many of the salt water species are for the most part gone from the bay in the winter because of all the fresh water coming in as well as the low temps, but you may be able to get some Stripers with Anchovies or Herring or even throwing plugs or swim baits. In the Central Bay the Stripers often herd baitfish into the coves and between the piers so keep an eye out for boils to cast into.
Iíd also bring a box of whole Squid and some 8 or 10/0 hooks and sinkers and sliders to try for Bat Rays and Sharks in the coves. You really canít do anything with the Rays but they get huge and pull like a tow truck. Youíll want some pretty heavy line for the Bats.
Unfortunately there is a winter closure in the Central Bay on Sturgeon until around March 1st as I recall so you wont be able target them.
Good luck

FishnBeer
02-07-2010, 11:31 AM
i hear that area is good certain times of the year for halibut. dunno exactly what time of year that is tho

GCinGV
02-08-2010, 02:35 AM
i hear that area is good certain times of the year for halibut. dunno exactly what time of year that is tho

Although they are caught occasionally in the winter Halibut are pretty scarce in the bay this time of the year. Your best chance for one would likely be on the west end of the island during an incoming tide when the salinity and usually the temp is a bit higher. Could be the best time and place for the Sharks and Rays as well but they seem to tolerate the more brackish water a little better then the Halibut.
Sounds like a fun trip Legalbeagle.

Legalbeagle
02-16-2010, 04:07 AM
Well, I did promise to post my results. I fished for about two hours using a 3-ounce pyramid weight and a couple of swivels attached to a 3-ot hook with a squid/sardine combo. I had several bait-stealers (didn't bring any small hooks to find out what they were) and finally hooked a 12" rockfish of some sort which was promptly released. That was it for the day as I had other activities I was forced to do. The weather was perfect and the tide wasn't too rough. All in all, a good time.

troutslimepuppy
02-16-2010, 03:14 PM
thank you for the report. :)