PDA

View Full Version : Crazy people at the trout pond

Mark_Woodard
01-18-2010, 12:48 PM
So I think that I have come to the conclusion that my dad and I are unheathily (can't think of a better word for it) addicted to fishing. So much that we went fishing today at the Camanche South Shore Trout Pond in this crazy weather. Wind was howling, rain was pouring, and even saw a bit of lightning and heard quiet a bit of thunder. Even with all of that though we still just had to go.

So we got to a late start with me being 18 and staying up late and sleeping in like I do we got out to the pond at about 1300. Wind was so bad I think there were 3 maybe 4ft waves going across the pond. Zeus was truely testing our tolerance of the weather out there, but I'll tell you the other fish gods were looking after us. I get there and cast my line out. As I'm holding my rod just to let my line settle my rod starts going agans't the wind I set the hook and BAM! fish on! That quick that fast I couldn't believe it. Local kid Dylan is out there and he comes over and says hi when he sees me reeling in my fish. He told me he had been out there drop shotting night crawlers off of the dock and had caught 8. He left shortly after for he ran out of bait. As Dylan was leaving I do my second cast and again within 10 seconds of my bait hitting the bottom another fish on. Looking like a good day for the Shark* 8-)

Fishing goes on and stays good and the weather just gets worse. The wind just blows harder and the rain gets heavier. This weather is truely what seperates the boys from the men, or the idiots from the smart ones lol. Saw only a few others out there 2 guys off of the dock and 2 float tubers. Man I'll tell you my hat is off to the float tubers just for being out on the water in that storm. One of the float tubers came by and asked if we were catching and we told him yes but they were on the bottom. Nothing at all came off of the surface. Mr. float tuber was taking a skunking unfortunatly because the fish were down deep.

After a while a fellow asian guy from off of the dock came over and asked what we were using since he had only caught one all day. We told him we were using a power worm with two power eggs it didn't matter what color we were using them all and all were working. He walked back and about 20 mins later we saw him catching fish after fish. Either took our advice or he just had a turn of luck for him.

I ended the day with 9 keeping 4 my dad caught his limit and kept them all. Tonight sounded like a good fish fry night and plus if we were gonna brave that crazy weather we were bringing home a reward. Overall crazy day of weather but good day of fishing. I actually like these days at the pond. Barely anyone is ever out there and the bite is always good. Great scenario for me* :)

The catch of the day
http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/9606/coolery.jpg
By markdashark19 (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/markdashark19), shot with E4800 (http://profile.imageshack.us/camerabuy.php?model=E4800&make=NIKON) at 2010-01-18

hmong_fish
01-18-2010, 01:11 PM
dam nice catch. will i think you might have seen me too because i was fishing with that kid all the time where the dock at. btw where u with a guy that wearing a orange rain jacket that parked on the one way road? anyways i left home because the weather was getting worst..haha.. >:(

Mark_Woodard
01-18-2010, 02:05 PM
no that wasn't me I was in a big blue jump suit. I think you probably left right before I got there

hmong_fish
01-18-2010, 02:14 PM
i think so haha i left home around 12. but then that kid left around 10 or 10 30...or i think he must have been at the gate because he was waiting for his dad to pick him up.
btw what was you using?

Mark_Woodard
01-18-2010, 02:23 PM
he must have come back or something cause I saw him when I got there around 1. I was using a power worm with 2 power eggs

hmong_fish
01-18-2010, 02:59 PM
ahha i was using the same thing when i got there but then when the kid start land fish with nightcrawlers i started to use nightcrawlers too..haha...

Jfitalia
01-18-2010, 03:03 PM
dude you guys are nuts!!!! LOL

hmong_fish
01-18-2010, 03:22 PM
btw i wonder do u have to pay the fishing fees if your under 16?

Team Mc Fishing
01-18-2010, 04:56 PM
you dont have to pay the fees that I know of but if you pay them it means that you can keep that limit of fish. So if you are fishing and under 16 you don't need a license but you can get the day pass and keep your own limit.

WesternStriper
01-18-2010, 05:36 PM
The only time I will be fishing that kind of weather is sturgeon and striper fishing... :D

Team Mc Fishing
01-18-2010, 06:15 PM
Yeah I don't know how you survived that weather since you said there were 3-4 foot swells in the pond! I brave those in the River for Stripers and Sturgeon too, but not sure I would sit there for trout fishing, since we have been there plenty of times lately with nice weather and caught plenty. Of course I would probably fish in this weather somewhere, since I have.

xxxxxx
01-19-2010, 02:37 AM
The only time I will be fishing that kind of weather is sturgeon and striper fishing...* :D

Still have to watch out though.....I was fishing with Jay Lopes (RightHookSportfishing) and we were sturgeon fishing of course in Honker Bay during a small storm.....when a dark (charged) cloud came over the boat and his tower started sizzling and crackling????? He touched it and it zapped him real good!!!!!! Put a nice blister on his hand and he went into Captn Mode real quick.....he called out to a buddy for backup and shut down all batteries until the cloud had past....looking back now it could've got bad for all on that boat that day??? Since then...I'll wait until the storm passes.

RF

Mark_Woodard
01-19-2010, 02:52 AM

I've seen the rangers ask for them from little kids and if i heard the ranger correctly then kids under sixteen don't need permits enless they are keeping fish or if you are keeping fish towards their limit (ex. if its you and your son and you wanted to keep 10 fish. you would have to buy a permit for your son so he can keep his own limit). I would ask next time you go in though. Just to be sure

Team Mc Fishing
01-19-2010, 05:15 AM
Yeah Mark that is what they have told me also. If your kid is under 16 and he catches fish it counts on your limit just like in public waters, but even if the kid dosnt have a licnse you can get the permit for the day and the kid can keep their own limit. I did that a few tims after realizing we could at Pardee beecause when my boys were little (now 16 and 17) they would always do better catching fish and I wouldnt get to catch my own sometimes Lol. So after I go tthem their own I didn't worry if they caught a few right away I still had my own limit to work on.

iggybabble
01-19-2010, 05:40 AM
ive had great days fishing in my full commercial rain gear.....catching fish all by myself while everyone else was home watching football....lots of days the tough weather sees the fish biting better than during the flat calm days

Team Mc Fishing
01-19-2010, 06:35 AM
I use the Bass Pro 100mph gear in full gore-tex it really works good but its expensive. $450 for bibs and jacket! But I had to try it, I was surprised that it really blocks out the wind good and keeps you dry. So I use that on days like this week.

Jfitalia
01-19-2010, 06:48 AM
No need to spend that much! First off I spent all dec pricing them and I cabelas is much cheaper with their gore-tex. I bought the gor-tex evx shell for 79.00 and then their evx zip in fleece liner for 39.00. This thing is 100% rain and wind proof. I wore mine yesterday for 2 hours while coaching a soccer game. All I wore was a t-shirt under it and was bone dry.

hmong_fish
01-19-2010, 07:55 AM
you dont have to pay the fees that I know of but if you pay them it means that you can keep that limit of fish. So if you are fishing and under 16 you don't need a license but you can get the day pass and keep your own limit.
so if u dont pay the fishing fees then u cant keep the fish right?

hmong_fish
01-19-2010, 07:56 AM
ive had great days fishing in my full commercial rain gear.....catching fish all by myself while everyone else was home watching football....lots of days the tough weather sees the fish biting better than during the flat calm days
true!!

hmong_fish
01-19-2010, 07:58 AM

I've seen the rangers ask for them from little kids and if i heard the ranger correctly then kids under sixteen don't need permits enless they are keeping fish or if you are keeping fish towards their limit (ex. if its you and your son and you wanted to keep 10 fish. you would have to buy a permit for your son so he can keep his own limit). I would ask next time you go in though. Just to be sure*
will i have my fishing license and i always buy the fishing fees...lol..

cattfish
01-19-2010, 09:43 AM
what are the fees at camanche? have not bin there in15 years do they have a break for seniors? thanks

hmong_fish
01-19-2010, 10:41 AM
what are the fees at camanche? have not bin there in15 years do they have a break for seniors? thanks
day use is 6.50$$ and fishing fees is 4$ for each person that are fishing...