PDA

View Full Version : Official December Amador thread

MontanaN8V
12-02-2009, 02:37 AM
I hope this month turns on, and some rods get bent.

Jfitalia
12-02-2009, 08:13 AM
Well it couldn't be get any worse! Lol

B_RAN
12-02-2009, 11:51 AM
haha true that!! it will ill bet 100 bux !! ;D

gatorbait
12-02-2009, 12:43 PM
I was up at the dam today and it's the same old story.

flytier
12-03-2009, 02:13 AM
Why are people saying "there are a ton of fish" ???

Where? In the hatchery perhaps? I'm not seeing them at all this year. Is this the Amador marketing story?

There are very few in the lake compared to previous years. But yes, if you scooped them all up in a bag they might weigh a ton but that is a big lake for so few fish.

But wait!

1(short) ton = 1000lbs
1 UK ton = 2240lbs
1 metric ton = 2204lbs

Hmmm.... I guess that's probably about right. My mistake - Sorry!

gatorbait
12-03-2009, 04:19 AM

Where? In the hatchery perhaps? I'm not seeing them at all this year. Is this the Amador marketing story?

There are very few in the lake compared to previous years. But yes, if you scooped them all up in a bag they might weigh a ton but that is a big lake for so few fish.

But wait!

1(short) ton = 1000lbs
1 UK ton = 2240lbs
1 metric ton = 2204lbs

I hear someone calling wolf! ;D
I'm with you Flytier. I don't get how Camanche is bust'n off and Amador has flat-lined. Can someone explain for me? :-?

troutslimepuppy
12-03-2009, 02:10 PM
im wondering what the Amador regulars feel about fishing the lake in the middle of a rainy stretch of weather?im thinking about next wednsday and am hopeful about getting some sharp finned toads to yank on some yak trolled rapalas.

fish_feeder32
12-03-2009, 02:58 PM
I wonder if low lake levels would cause low oxygen levels? or maybe cause oxygen rich water to switch to different depths? If so maybe this is the problem?

dinos marine
12-04-2009, 12:28 AM
last year the lake was really low at this time. the bite was almost red hot. i caught limits last year in november, and december. best times were in mid december. as the lake filled up, the bite shut down. at the fest last year fishing slowed down.
so, low level last year..........good bite. this year.........not so good.
????? whats up with that?

Talon
12-04-2009, 06:40 AM
I am just a dumb truck driver, but, the last time I loaded a truck, last night, a ton was still 2,000 lbs.
;D

But wait!

1(short) ton = 1000lbs
1 UK ton = 2240lbs
1 metric ton = 2204lbs

I hear someone calling wolf! ;D
* *I'm with you Flytier. I don't get how Camanche is bust'n off and Amador has flat-lined. Can someone explain for me? :-?

ifish4fun
12-04-2009, 07:38 AM
I have fished this lake consistanly for the past 5+ years and this is the worse year so far that i have fished the lake.* The level of the lake is up compared to last year and the fishing was ok last year., not great.* My boat won the fest last year with a fish just over 3 lbs.* The fest was in March if remember correctly* :o and fishing went down from there. December was my best month also so maybe it will pick up after this storm. About the weight of the fish being planted. 3 years ago they were planting 5,000 lbs a week and now i beleive it is 3,000 or maybe 2,000 lbs a week and that is a big cut back.

SDBASSIN
12-04-2009, 10:07 AM
I just don't get whats going on with Amador, I live in San Diego where some lakes are still in the high 60's and only receive about 800 lbs of trout a weekand the bite is great, I really don't think its the water temp or the amount of fish. I hope the bite picks up with in the next few weeks.

Woody
12-04-2009, 01:10 PM
It is my opinion that Amador has the same issue as Del Valle and it is all centered around the huge bait balls in the lakes. weather anyone wants to believe it or not the fish are feeding on what is in the lake.
If they were not feeding on the natural forage in the lake the few fish that are being caught would be very skinny. and you would be seeing fish floating in the lake.

Del valle has been stocked very heavily sense August there are tons of fish on the finder and huge schools of bait all throughout the lake and fishing is slow for this time of the year.

Just my 2 cents

Woody

gatorbait
12-04-2009, 01:40 PM
It is my opinion that Amador has the same issue as Del Valle and it is all centered around the huge bait balls in the lakes.* weather anyone wants to believe it or not the fish are feeding on what is in the lake.
If they were not feeding on the natural forage in the lake the few fish that are being caught would be very skinny.* and you would be seeing fish floating in the lake.

Del valle has been stocked very heavily sense August there are tons of fish on the finder and huge schools of bait all throughout the lake and fishing is slow for this time of the year.

Just my 2 cents

Woody

Good point but, this lake has always had huge numbers of shad in it. Normally after Tuesdays release them poles are bending hard by Thursday. So why is this year any different from the past 6?
Small lake + 3,000lb wk/plants= bent rods ;) My .02

CAROLINASKIFF
12-06-2009, 04:54 AM
After December 10, the bite will be on!* ;)

Mark_Woodard
12-06-2009, 03:21 PM
So I made my first trip ever today to lake amador with my dad. Also his first time in like 10 years. Had to go and hear what all the hype is about this amazing lake. Read reports though and heard rumors that its super slow and none or few are catching right now, but still had to go and try it. So we got there around 1130 and fished the north pocket next to the dam. Saw a few fisherman there couldn't make out any stringers though. I started off with my clear bubble with rainbow powerbait and gold kastmaster. Had a hit off of my powerbait only after about 30 mins, but got jumpy set the hook too soon and missed it.

Being it was my first time at the lake I looked around alot to see what other guys were doing and tried to see if any of those methods were working. Saw some guys with bait on the bottom caught a BIG bluegill probably 7 inches across, one guy has a chartuse worm 3 or 4 feet under a bobber; saw him get a hit but missed it. The one guy who I saw catch a fish while I was there got one casting and retrieving an orange powerworm behind a clear bubble. I later saw him walk away with 2 other fish on a stringer.

I begin to start retrieving my powerbait behind my clear bubble like I do at camanche just busting out all the tricks I know. Had a nice slam on that and hooked maybe a 2lber. did this method the rest of the day while I had a chartuse worm under a bobber on my other rod. Had one other hit the whole day and again got jumpy set the hook too soon and missed it. While reeling in my bait one time I heard the drag on my other rod just star singing. I run over and still see my bobber still on the water but rod going crazy wtf?!?!? I grab my rod and nothing is on then I saw my bobber move in a weird direction and a tail swirl of a fish next to my bobber. I came to the conclusion that one cruising the surface swam into my line and just stated going with it. Damn fish actually cut my line. By the size of the swirl I guessed the fish to be about 6lbs. This happened to me again!!! about 2 hours later. After that no more action the rest of the day. Stayed intill about 1630 and had to leave due to work. Slow day at amador, but thats what I expected it was for sure a nice little scouting trip. Might have to try it again when fishing is actually good

http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/2574/torut.jpg
By markdashark19 (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/markdashark19), shot with Micron MT9M113 1.3MP YUV (http://profile.imageshack.us/camerabuy.php?model=Micron+MT9M113+1.3MP+YUV&make= T1A_UC1.88) at 2009-12-06

http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/5767/damnrj.jpg
By markdashark19 (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/markdashark19), shot with Micron MT9M113 1.3MP YUV (http://profile.imageshack.us/camerabuy.php?model=Micron+MT9M113+1.3MP+YUV&make= T1A_UC1.88) at 2009-12-06

B_RAN
12-06-2009, 05:00 PM
its all good man you caught one! and i have that same jumpiness problem!! i get pissed everytime i do it!!

Mark_Woodard
12-07-2009, 11:52 AM
I kinda of like it when I do it. I mean I missed a fish and that sucks, but it makes me remember that as good as I am or as good as I think I am 8-) lol I'm not perfect and I always have more to learn. Gives me an open mind about things always willing to listen

flytier
12-08-2009, 02:56 AM
I kinda of like it when I do it. I mean I missed a fish and that sucks, but it makes me remember that as good as I am or as good as I think I am* 8-) lol I'm not perfect and I always have more to learn.* Gives me an open mind about things always willing to listen

If they were still planting like they used to you would have had several chances to nail one and be left lamenting over that one fish that you lost* ;)

It's too bad that you were not there three years ago.

Jfitalia
12-08-2009, 04:43 PM
yeah flytier is right!! 3 years ago and before that was great times!!!

Team Mc Fishing
12-08-2009, 05:01 PM
3 years ago in the winter after the plants started we had fish jumping so much they would hit the side of the boat while we sit in it out near the boat house and the dam. We used to catch them with just a single mini-crawler threaded on a #6 hook tied to the line directly. We throw out the worm with a little pro cure trout gel dipped on it, and let it free float with the bail open and the trout would grab the worm and div straight for the bottom and we just waited a few seconds until we st the hook and the fight was on!

B_RAN
12-09-2009, 01:46 AM
i wish it was like that now :( now you have to work for just one! oh well december is here ;D

CAROLINASKIFF
12-09-2009, 02:02 AM
3 years ago in the winter after the plants started we had fish jumping so much they*
That method will still work when the fish start biting again.

Sawdog
12-09-2009, 05:44 AM
Maybe when you guys go out and get some fish you could note down what was in their stomachs. The 2 I caught last month had empty stomachs - not a bit of food in them.

FISHIN_BUDDY
12-09-2009, 06:32 AM
That method will still work when the fish start biting again.

you mean when they start stocking how they used to again... ;) lol

Maybe when you guys go out and get some fish you could note down what was in their stomachs. The 2 I caught last month had empty stomachs - not a bit of food in them.

These fish are just quick digest(ers)... all my amabow have empty stomachs everytime

camotracker
12-09-2009, 11:22 AM
has it picked up yet. lol

Trout_Terminator
12-09-2009, 02:04 PM
they forage on the shad that are in the lake.

JM78
12-10-2009, 07:04 AM
Anybody been fishing at night at the docks lately ? S its still slow? Might go 2nite. Any report

Thanks
Jim

bassmanben
12-10-2009, 07:17 AM
yesterday was slow. i ended up with 3, broke off 3 and had several short strikes. most fish on grubs/powerworms

ron was there in his inflatable, had 6 by 7:30am, 2 the rest of the day all trolling f7 raps. tried calling up yakmotor on the radio but he didn't respond.

fish were pretty good sized, two at 4lbs and the ones i broke off were about the same.

Team Mc Fishing
12-10-2009, 12:16 PM
Does yakmotor monitor the radio while he is up there? I see him up there and he got a great shot of us on the boat for the amador opening weekend pics on here. Does he monitor marine band vhf?

YakMotor
12-10-2009, 02:13 PM
My 30' USS Prowler is in "dry dock" but I've put batteries in my VHF hand held and occasionally turn it on ... usually when I see a bunch of boat activity or from my deck spot someone I know.

Hasn't been much to look at recently. I only saw a couple boats Tuesday near green star point or the spillway which is where my view towards the back of the lake begins. There were a few bankers I noticed on GSP later in the afternoon. Water near the dam and fishing dock area is blocked from view by RV's parked below me.

I had been using wooden stairs to go down the steep slope to the those RV's where I could access their decks and get telephoto photo coverage of much more of the lake. One step gave way because it's supports were dry rotted. I asked management if the stairs could be repaired and a few days ago thought they would as I saw Bruce walk by, look at 'em, and make a comment, "I gotta fix that." Two days later a couple guys came ripped the whole thing out threw it on a truck and now I've got NOTHING!

I really don't think management knows how much my picture posting helps their business. How bout you folks that appreciate my posts let 'em know when you check in next time. I'll be looking forward to a shiny set of new stairs! ;)

The cold weather I'm sure has kept some folks away, but word of the slow bite has got to be part of why the lake has been looking mighty bare to me. Can't post action shots unless you guys (and gals) get out here and SHOW 'EM to me ... preferably in a net!

troutslimepuppy
12-10-2009, 02:58 PM
I got there at 10:30 and had a decent strike 5 mins in,after that it was slowwwww,at 2:00 i managed to snap one off in front of the boat docks!the guys at the corner sight fishing seemed to be doing well?the day was more or less nails for this kid.

Team Mc Fishing
12-10-2009, 04:16 PM
Maybe I should call Bruce and offer the team for a few hours one day soon to help replace those stairs! I will just call him at home since he is rarely around the store in one place for very long, and I am not usually one to get there too early in the morning when I make it up there, I do my best trout fishing at Amador between 3-6 pm anyway! I guess we just need to make sure they are fixed as soon as we can get him to see how important they are.

YakMotor
12-10-2009, 07:18 PM
I think customers at the cash register would be heard better than a phone call ... which would probably just "bug" him if all you've got to talk about is me and the stairs. ;D

Team Mc Fishing
12-10-2009, 07:26 PM
I am sure I would have more than just stairs to talk about but I am sure I would be happy to mention that they are important to more than just a few of us since we are regulars up there.

hoghunter3
12-11-2009, 04:00 AM
I fish Amador as much as anyone (54 days last Year) and this season is clearly different than any I've experienced in the last 15 years.
Fish are there but the bite is tough and I'm having difficultly finding a pattern that works. One day it's one thing, the next day it won't work. I don't believe water level or temp is playing a role based on prior years experience and a review of my logs.
While I tend to believe Woody's thought on the bait balls. (There are a ton of Shad in the lake) I am seeing very few in the stomaches of fish I have taken.
I plan to head up for a few days next week and will report back what I experience.

Informationally, Last year bite was good until mid January, got a little tougher until mid-April, then May was "off the hook"

Yak, Any change in the water level with the last couple small storms?

gatorbait
12-11-2009, 05:13 AM
I think customers at the cash register would be heard better than a phone call ... which would probably just "bug" him if all you've got to talk about is me and the stairs.* *;D**
Hey Yak,
* This is one mismanaged water hole! >:( Sorry to hear they removed your access. I'll give them Locharts an ear full next time I'm up that way! "How about today"! ;)

gatorbait
12-11-2009, 05:39 AM
I fish Amador as much as anyone (54 days last Year) and this season is clearly different than any I've experienced in the last 15 years.

$972.00 last year! :D Dude, That's my season pass for Pardee/plus $4 access fee and season pass for Camanche combined! When you go to the counter and get Yak's stairs back you may want to push that season pass thing on this lake! :D

Team Mc Fishing
12-11-2009, 07:11 AM
I have spoken with Bruc about why he doesn't come up with some sort of deal for frequent customers and he told me that with the cost of running the hatchery his concern would be for certain "season pass" card holders they would come in constantly and just wipe out the fish numbers. I also asked him about some sort of discount card where we could pre pay for say 10 admissions in advance at a little bit of a deal to make it worth getting the customers in there to continue bringing in other revenue as in store purchases and bait and such. He said he had tried that in the past and it didn't work. I hold annual passes for other lakes in the area and it seems to work for me since I can only visit each so many times a year. I would be happy to pre pay for say 10 trips on a punch card for day use, boat launch and even throw in the single fishing pass for a deal. I sometimes go up there alone but usually I bring 2-3 other people with me including my son and at least one of my team mates. I think we should try to come up with a fair idea and I would be happy to approach Bruce with a plan that would help get the customer counts up as well as give those of us willing to prepay for a punch card a little deal. Besides, if I have to prepay to get a good price I would, and I am sure I would use it to get my moneys worth. I don't think they will ever go to just an unlimited use season or annual pass here though.

gatorbait
12-11-2009, 08:03 AM
I have spoken with Bruc about why he doesn't come up with some sort of deal for frequent customers and he told me that with the cost of running the hatchery his concern would be for certain "season pass" card holders they would come in constantly and just wipe out the fish numbers. I also asked him about some sort of discount card where we could pre pay for say 10 admissions in advance at a little bit of a deal to make it worth getting the customers in there to continue bringing in other revenue as in store purchases and bait and such. He said he had tried that in the past and it didn't work. I hold annual passes for other lakes in the area and it seems to work for me since I can only visit each so many times a year. I would be happy to pre pay for say 10 trips on a punch card for day use, boat launch and even throw in the single fishing pass for a deal. I sometimes go up there alone but usually I bring 2-3 other people with me including my son and at least one of my team mates. I think we should try to come up with a fair idea and I would be happy to approach Bruce with a plan that would help get the customer counts up as well as give those of us willing to prepay for a punch card a little deal. Besides, if I have to prepay to get a good price I would, and I am sure I would use it to get my moneys worth. I don't think they will ever go to just an unlimited use season or annual pass here though.
I hear you.. Problem is, Lockharts don't want to take the risk. ::) Poor marketing if you ask me. Bruce and Bob are to worried about making money and are not willing to fix what is broke.* Just ask Yak! ;D
My .02 cents*

Team Mc Fishing
12-11-2009, 09:05 AM
From what Bruce told me a few years ago he had to com back in and take over after his brother was in charge around there and let everything sort of go downhill and he is trying to bring the place back up to its previous reputation. I understand that he is even raising catfish now to help supplement that catch for the summer months. I think it's about money when it comes to anything especially when things are looking like they are these days. I am glad that many years ago they actually extended the boat ramp or else no one would be able to launch this time of year with the lack of rain we have had. I am glad that they actually updated the web site this year for once in a long while. I would think that more frequent updates and planting in larger numbers weight wise would also help.

gatorbait
12-11-2009, 10:11 AM
Let me ask you guys this, "would you pay 18 for catfish"? Is there really a market for catfishing? I think they should of tried raising 10 lb bass not catfish. :-? The problem is, them bass will eat 2 lb trout for breakfast! ;D But, so will a 10 lb catfish... :D
* My thoughts, if the Lockharts lowered them camping fees
and had a season pass with an additional stocking fee like Pardee does. They would be making more money and people like hoghunter could even save a few bucks. (My .02)

Team Mc Fishing
12-11-2009, 10:25 AM
Yeah I think the camping fees are over priced for what you get considering they want to charge you for day use the next day even if you plan to stay the whole next day after camp site check out time. The other issue with the camping at this point in time is that when its the time of year to plant for trout, what they call their "on season" the water level is so low, it's terrible trying to get down to the water from all of the camp sites that are way up on the hill. There is no waterfront or easy lake access from the camp sites, when other lakes nearby have fairly level lake access for even chaper rates this times of year. I think they could do some improvements to the whole place but money and economy are not going to make it very likely as long as people are still going and paying. But if th poor catch rate continues like I hear it has it will keep people away by the quick spread of word of mouth not just the glorified fishing reports in newspapers that are provided information by the resort owners.

YakMotor
12-12-2009, 03:34 AM
HH3 - Rain total on my gauge for the two past storms you mentioned was a bit over an inch which* gave the ground a good soak, but didn't provide much immediate runoff.

We've got a bit (.16") more today and as you can see from the Weather Underground 24 hour loop animation there's another good shot coming.* Follow the county line east from Galt to see Comanche and Pardee.* Ione and Amador is just a titch north of them.
http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/7497/wxundergnd121209.gif

gatorbait
12-12-2009, 04:40 AM
Maybe this warm rain will trigger that bite?! I'll head up and do a bankers fish count around 1:00 today.

gatorbait
12-12-2009, 07:45 AM
Slow.. The count was 20 rods in the water and I did not see a single stringer today. Not sure how them boaters did? ;)

hoghunter3
12-12-2009, 08:21 AM
Thanks for the update Yak. I think I'll run up Tuesday for a look see

YakMotor
12-12-2009, 01:30 PM
After downloading and posting the radar I waited anticipating a big downpour ... NOT ... total we got from that cell was .07" Not even a 1/10th! It was like Moses was standing on the dam parting the clouds as they moved east.

Thankfully a few hours later we got pelted pretty good by a thin but intense band of red and yellow that came down the alley for a big strike. Gauge reading jumped 3/4" Ground is soaked so now's the time for runoff. It's a bad angle for me up here to evaluate water color ... shame those stairs are gone.

I only saw one boat toward the back end of the lake and a few bank fishers by the spillway and farther back past GSP. I thought rain was supposed to be like an aphrodisiac for for the bite? WHERE were you guys? ;D

dinos marine
12-12-2009, 02:42 PM
Mark,
i think everyone was at comanche....... waiting for the bite to pick up at amador :'( :'( :'(

Jfitalia
12-12-2009, 02:58 PM
yeah heck we all mine as well should save the extra few bucks and hit camanche. Heck if the bite stays this bad pretty soon i'll just be at pardee when it opens

flytier
12-13-2009, 04:19 AM
Mark,
i think everyone was at comanche....... waiting for the bite to pick up at amador :'( :'( :'(

First they plant less to save money - pretty soon the word gets out that catches are low to non-existent. Soon after that the takings are way down at the register.

It's a death spiral if you ask me.

Sawdog
12-13-2009, 05:04 AM
I really agree that this place could be run so much better. Last time I was there it was so filthy. Garbage everywhere. Last time I was at Camanche there were people going around cleaning the park. I pay so much more to fish Amador and its not even kept up.

I think we will see. If this season is a flat line it wont bode well for the park. Not at those rates. Now I think the fish are there, I saw them cruising. But they may need to put some money into creating a better environ for the fish.

Team Mc Fishing
12-13-2009, 05:27 AM
I see that Camanche is offering $8 camp sites again, that is 3 nights at Camanche for the price of one night at Amador.

HmongMinnow
12-13-2009, 05:34 AM
i dont like amador at all, i went there once back in spring 09. i couldnt catch any trouts there.. i tried all the techniques i knew for trouts and still didnt catch one. there was others who were just snagging 4lbs trout and all that. But i wanna go to Amador during December see how its like.

Sawdog
12-13-2009, 05:35 AM
Yeah and just to fish my 5 year old doesnt have to pay at Camanche. So we can get in for $10 her and I at Camanche. But at Amador its $17 just for me to fish... they charge her full price.

Jfitalia
12-13-2009, 07:47 AM
Yeah sawdog that's crap that you have to pay full price. The reason they do that is because when you talk to bruce about the fish caught he breaks it down to how much they LOSE when a fish is caught! So with that greedy mentality they feel its ok to charge a child full price... its crap... you know 7 or 8 years ago I remember bruce telling me about how he wanted to sell the lake???? You folks wanna get in! Lol jk

dinos marine
12-13-2009, 11:08 AM
it really is too bad about amador. i mean its bad enough to charge that kinda money, but i agree the place has a lot of trash. its actually better now that its not so crowded. last year it was literaly trashed. fishing was good, so there were tons of people there, and the trash.
if the fish were biting, i would run over to fish. but for some reason its really slow.
last year at this time it was off the hook! strange... but the fish do taste really good, put up a great fight, and when its on where else can you get a 25 pound limit??

Sawdog
12-13-2009, 01:00 PM
And I dont mind paying a couple extra bucks for a good day fishing. Seems worth it but then the site should be taken care of. I really felt kind of like I was fishing in a dump.

Schu
12-13-2009, 04:33 PM
It was good 3 years ago. I have had bad luck there ever since.

Team Mc Fishing
12-13-2009, 07:19 PM
Yes 3 years ago was incredible, they would dive towards th bottom as soon as they hit the worms when we free drifted the Ama-worm weightless on a size 6 hook. That was so much fun we had the best luck around the boathouse around 5-6 in the afternoon in the fall right after the first plants of the year. Hearing fishing hitting the side of the boat while you are looking the other direction was fun too!

B_RAN
12-14-2009, 02:46 AM
Team-mcfishing- yeah those were the golden days of amador ;D.. and by the way, do you live close to bear river reservoir?

Team Mc Fishing
12-14-2009, 06:06 AM
I live about 80 miles west of Bear but we spend several days a year up there including the trout derbies. The pics I have posted on our team myspace page are pictures over the last 3 years or so. Bear River is where my father passed away after spending his first night of the week up there in June. He was in his third round of cancer in 4 years, in March he was given 2-3 weeks at best to live. That was on my birthday the 11th, on June 9th the Hospice Nurse told him to make some decisions about his final choices and h replied "I'm not planning on dieing, im going fishing with my son, I will talk to you when I get back!" I left for Bear on the 9th, my parents arrived at about 6pm on the evening of th 11th. I was on the boat and he called me from the marine portable and told me he was catching big fish at the marina. I was fishing in his spot over at the far end of the dam. I headed in and took him fish from his hole and we all had a great dinner, him telling me how he was going to outfish me all weekend. the next morning I went down to unlock the boat and get it ready for his first ride on the boat that I had for a year and a half already. I got a call on the marine radio to come check on him, I found him peacefully in bed, passed away in his sleep. Thats how important Bear River is to my family, my parents camped up there when they were kids. sorry to deviate from the Amador thread but He loved all those lakes up in the hills for trout fishing. Hope that wasn't too much info but I get kind of carried away when I talk about that. Cherish all of th time you have with family out there on the water, every moment is precious.

gatorbait
12-14-2009, 09:45 AM
Amador was glass calm today. Plenty of people fishing near the north corner. I did not see any stringers in the water(3:00PM). Still real slow from what I can see..
Mc-Fish, sorry to hear about your dad..Sure sounds like a great guy.

trbergen
12-14-2009, 11:09 AM
McFishing...Sorry to hear about your Dad, but I love the story, and that is exactly how I would want to go....fishing with my family on one of my favorite waters. I hope you cherish that memory until it's your turn!
TR

dinos marine
12-14-2009, 02:24 PM
mcfish,
i lost my dad this year as well. september 20th. i really didnt get to know my dad very well, but we did go hunting a few times. the few times i went out with my dad, i still cherish those times.
i know we are getting off track, but i feel your loss. i spend as much time with my family, and hope that when its my time, it will be with a rod in my hands!!

Team Mc Fishing
12-14-2009, 05:37 PM
Thanks for your kind words, I am glad he was able to make it up there since he struggled for several months and I know his way was to make it up there. I told people I work with that I am going to try and get him up there but I doubt I will be seeing him leave there alive. It was very peaceful.

I can't wait for Amador to pick up soon. Maybe with some of these rains we can get a good run off and raise the water enough to get our bigger boats safely on the water through the lower end of that launch ramp.

MontanaN8V
12-15-2009, 03:44 AM
Sorry to hear about your dad, but, that is how I want to go too. Lucky guy in that sense of the word.

Trout_Terminator
12-15-2009, 01:42 PM
So are they still planting on Tuesdays?

gatorbait
12-15-2009, 02:54 PM
So are they still planting on Tuesdays?

That's a good question. I think they did plant today because that gate leading to the spillway was closed. I think this gate is suppose to keep people away from the planting area. Anyhow, Still looked slow to me.. I saw one guy with 2 fish, and another with 1 near North corner at noon.

Jfitalia
12-15-2009, 09:40 PM
Ha i called up there the other day just because I wanted to see what answer I got when I asked how the fishing was.... Guess what answer I got? "The fishing is great and people are limiting"

I guess if they told the truth and said " the fishing sucks something terrible" people wouldnt go out there! LOL

scnt junky
12-15-2009, 10:38 PM
I called a few weeks back got the same answer great fishing . Pretty sad about the trash and Yaks stairs .Seems to me if the clean up the place kick out the snaggers plant a few moe tons maybe the bite would increase.Wonder if oxegen levels in the lake are off?? Just my .02

dinos marine
12-16-2009, 12:06 AM
i think hoghunter and ron got em all ;D

gatorbait
12-16-2009, 04:23 AM
I called a few weeks back got the same answer great fishing . Pretty sad about the trash and Yaks stairs .Seems to me if the clean up the place kick out the snaggers plant a few moe tons maybe the bite would increase.Wonder if oxegen levels in the lake are off?? Just my .02
When you start seeing pictures on this forum you will know how great the fishing is. ;) About the Oxygen..You could be right?? The fish in this lake just do not seem active this year. I know on Camanche they installed a huge oxygen generator near the dam several years ago.

scnt junky
12-16-2009, 07:05 AM
Yea it just seems the water quality this time of year when i go is dingy thought that maybe that could have something to do with it. Looks like its a wait and see if it turns on.

gatorbait
12-16-2009, 11:25 AM
Was at the dam around noon today. One guy had 2, another guy leaving had 1. That was it... The catchers were tossing lures for the most part. I think your best bet is to go early Tuesday and chase them fresh released fish. ;)

troutslimepuppy
12-16-2009, 12:45 PM
today was so so for me, but it seems that if you'r willing to change up, you'll be rewarded.

gatorbait
12-16-2009, 02:40 PM
today was so so for me, but it seems that if you'r willing to change up, you'll be rewarded.
I saw you out there today... You get em trolling? How many did you get? ;)

troutslimepuppy
12-17-2009, 06:01 AM
I only got two, but had* I* follwed Hoghunters advise id have left with five.I know some of you vets consider it slow if your not catching ten or more,but i trully believe had i changed my game sooner i could have farmed em!lots of fish in the lake.ps i did leave early.* *

gatorbait
12-17-2009, 10:17 AM
I only got two, but had* I* follwed Hoghunters advise id have left with five.I know some of you vets consider it slow if your not catching ten or more,but i trully believe had i changed my game sooner i could have farmed em!lots of fish in the lake.ps i did leave early.* **
Sounds like the bite is early! At least you got a couple.. Nice! Maybe this lake will begin to pick up?
* I hit Camanche for a couple hours, "I know where all them trollers are!" :o

flytier
12-17-2009, 11:23 AM
I was sorry to hear that they are not being honest about the fishing on the phone.

I have a hard time seeing how they will survive if this keeps up. Do they think we are all stupid?

It's a shame because the place has huge potential to be a big money maker.

dinos marine
12-17-2009, 02:44 PM
troutslime,
ok so what was hh's advise?? the grub thingy? how that guy loves his grubs!

troutslimepuppy
12-18-2009, 02:06 AM
yes the grub was mentioned,but more importantly it was the act of changing up till something worked.gulp trout worm?I cant wait till next time.

gatorbait
12-18-2009, 04:29 AM
I know some of you vets consider it slow if your not catching ten or more,but i trully believe had i changed my game sooner i could have farmed em!lots of fish in the lake.ps i did leave early.* **
I think you are missing my point here. I'm sure some are hooking up but, have you fished this water the past 5 years? This year does not compare :-/ Your best bet for a limit is to hit them planter trucks on Tuesday.
If you plan fishing this lake don't rely on what the owners tell you. They want your money and if they ever said the fishing sucks, "would you show up?" (My .02)

gatorbait
12-18-2009, 06:15 AM
Amador bite could be on! Went to check it out around 1:00PM. I saw 3 guys hooking up in the first 5 minutes. And plenty of stringers in the water!! :o

troutslimepuppy
12-18-2009, 06:18 AM
I here you Gator,and yes ive called and have had them tell me the fishing was great only to drive 2.5 hours for a doughnut. however i do think that there are plenty to go around even after thursday.tuesday plant truck afternoons sound good as well.as for the last ten years i used to only go on my b day in march.those late march rented boat troll days were a bit more reliable for hook ups but aside from the trash,* these days dont seem to far off from what ive experienced in the past.ps ive got the Amador bug good right now...*

gatorbait
12-18-2009, 06:22 AM
Troutslime, looks like we posted about the same time! ;D ;D ;D ;D :D

fisheone
12-19-2009, 12:28 AM
Hi all, can I get some tips on what works best at Amador? I know most techniques will work after a plant. I don't fish for trout but I want to give it a try. I went last year and saw people that seemed to have it dialed in while I didn't get anything. I just want to be prepared before I make the trip out there and after reading through some of the disparaging comments about Amador I want to make the best of it. So, what is your favorite method at Amador? What was working last year? How about trolling? Thanks a lot

gatorbait
12-19-2009, 04:31 AM
Went to check the lake out this morning (9:45) thinking the bite was on. Plenty of bankers but no fish? :-/ I did not see any of them trollers hooking up but, maybe they'll post some fish pics later.
What a strange year for this lake? :o
http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/3535/ama1.jpg

MontanaN8V
12-19-2009, 04:35 AM
The last time I fished it, I was using a panther Martin spinner, and hooked up a bunch, just the like kept breaking on that rod, I think I had 4# test and it was older line. Try the panther martin route, it is something different. I swear by them. You might have to troll faster, or cast and retrieve, but if nothing else is working, why not try them?

gatorbait
12-19-2009, 04:43 AM
The last time I fished it, I was using a panther Martin spinner, and hooked up a bunch, just the like kept breaking on that rod, I think I had 4# test and it was older line.* Try the panther martin route, it is something different.* I swear by them.* You might have to troll faster, or cast and retrieve, but if nothing else is working, why not try them?
Montana,
That was one thing I did notice. Yesterday, I saw plenty of bankers tossing hardware. Today, most of them were tossing bait. Hmmm???

flytier
12-19-2009, 05:37 AM
The last time I fished it, I was using a panther Martin spinner, and hooked up a bunch, just the like kept breaking on that rod, I think I had 4# test and it was older line.* Try the panther martin route, it is something different.* I swear by them.* You might have to troll faster, or cast and retrieve, but if nothing else is working, why not try them?
Montana,
* *That was one thing I did notice. Yesterday, I saw plenty of bankers tossing hardware. Today, most of them were tossing bait. Hmmm???

Montana,
* *That was one thing I did notice. Yesterday, I saw plenty of bankers tossing hardware. Today, most of them were tossing bait. Hmmm???

Not to rain on anyone's parade I think we have tried tossing everything under the sun recently and still got skunked. Unless you think all those guys lining the bank and trolling from boats are clueless.

There are just too few fish - period.

gatorbait
12-19-2009, 07:40 AM
Not to rain on anyone's parade I think we have tried tossing everything under the sun recently and still got skunked. Unless you think all those guys lining the bank and trolling from boats are clueless.

There are just too few fish - period.
Flytier,
* No doubt... :D Last year they were planting 5,000/week..
Still, If they are planting close to 900 fish every week. It should be happening. Though, after you mentioned the broken scale. I question these plants...
Update.....
I spoke with one guy around 3:00PM. He said it was dead all day. Most of the bankers left by noon.
http://img704.imageshack.us/img704/878/signqy.jpg

flytier
12-20-2009, 06:37 AM
I spoke with one guy around 3:00PM. He said it was dead all day. Most of the bankers left by noon.

I'm saving my $$ for a while until I start seeing lots of limit pictures on here again - and not just the occasional guy with a fish.

gatorbait
12-20-2009, 06:46 AM

I'm saving my $$ for a while until I start seeing lots of limit pictures on here again - and not just the occasional guy with a fish.*
If you have a boat hit Camanche. I was bass fishing past the narrows and caught more trout than bass on a drop shot. I than trolled an f7 firetiger rapala at 3.4 mph
and hooked 4 more trout in just 20 minutes. 3.4mph is about as slow as my boat can go... ;D By the way, when the water is glass trout are all over the surface. I bet they would be fun on a fly rod.. ;)

troutslimepuppy
12-22-2009, 02:08 AM
I bet today goes semi gangbusters at Amador ?just a hunch.

q3fishboy
12-22-2009, 05:52 AM
hi everyone - been reading the site on and off for a while and finding it really helpful

anyways, was looking for some help regarding amador. went up there for the first and only time last december in 2008. spent most of the time babysitting family and friends, but finally got to actually fish myself for the last hour or so and picked up 2 nice trout on kastmasters. been looking forward to making it back ever since.

however, been reading all the mixed reports lately so just wondering if anyone has any suggestions or anything as to when to go and what to expect.

fyi, i'm limited to just fishing off the bank.

thanks for any help

gatorbait
12-22-2009, 10:13 AM
I went up to the dam around 2:00 PM. It sure looked slow to me. ;)

gatorbait
12-23-2009, 07:52 AM
Today, North corner of dam was crowded(combat fishing). I saw a few fish caught but most had the white stripe. One troller said he only got 1 bite all day. Good luck ;)

CiskoKid
12-23-2009, 12:58 PM
I was fishing today from 6am to 12noon time. There were 6 of us and we only brought in 4 fish from shore. :DI saw lots of trout swimming around, but they just would not eat. I love it that this guy with his beautiful 20 thousand dollar boat trolls 30 feet from shore and trolls right in front of me while I'm casting my lure. He has the whole lake but says "oops", I say he fish'es like a *****. He is lucky it's Christmas week, next week it's braided line for his ass.

Woody
12-23-2009, 01:56 PM
Ciskokid in the defense of the guy trolling in his $30,000 boat there are times when you just don't realize you are as close to shore or someone else as you are until it happens. There are also times especially at small lakes like Amador that you just get pinched in towards the shore to stay out of someone else's way.

Woody

B_RAN
12-23-2009, 06:30 PM
that would be funny if that guy was a sniffer and reading that message hahahha

Jfitalia
12-23-2009, 07:04 PM
Haha that would be funny. However at amador 9 times out of 10 they are being pinched in. They are too busy flapping there gums to pay attention. I can understand a 1 time accident but when the same guys does it over and over again its not an accident. I had this happen the last time I was there. I finally had to say something.

FISHIN_BUDDY
12-24-2009, 01:29 AM
that would be funny if that guy was a sniffer and reading that message hahahha

i think he did.. ;D ;D

i normally fish from the boat, a $600 boat, and the truth of the matter is that some people, and yes including some people on the board, that just don't care...period.

Woody
12-24-2009, 02:36 AM
i think he did..

Fishin buddy if think it was me it wasn't haven't been to Amador in a couple of months. Besides I'm in a $60,000 boat ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Woody

FISH-4-FUN
12-24-2009, 03:01 AM
I agree that some of those people are on this board.I have been pinched many times at Camanche and only fished Amador once but it was no different there!

What ticks me off the most is when you have 2 or more people in the boat and all of them have there heads up there A$$ watching the rods any not watching where they are going.When a boat only has 1 person in it I give them as much room as possible because I fish solo alot in a 20' boat and know what it is like.

Just my.02

Chris :P

B_RAN
12-24-2009, 03:02 AM
haha yeah like 50% of that lake are sniffers ;D everytime i go to amador i hear all you guys on the CB all the way from the bank!! hahahaha :D

gatorbait
12-24-2009, 03:45 AM
;D ;D ;D You guys are cracking me up ..
* Them trollers are like seagulls after baitfish! :D
I was out chasing some green trout on top-water. Every time I hooked up, them trollers are all over my line. Some just don't get it.... ;)

gatorbait
12-24-2009, 06:18 AM
Amador report (12:00)... Plenty of Holiday rods in the water but, very few fish caught. Hardly any boaters out today.. ;) Hey Yak, where are them pics?

This was in the SAC newspaper! ::) I suggest you stick to
the sniffer for more accurate info! ;)

TOP PICKS
AMADOR LAKE -- The trout bite busted lose for the weekend, with possibly warmer water temperatures triggering the bite. Plenty of big fish in the 4- to 5-pound class reported, and one 12 pounder that was a tagged derby fish. "That guy was not entered in the derby," said Debbie Grayson at the Lake Amador Store. "A couple of others were, and one won $50 cash, and another won a free day use and t-shirt!" The action was all in the top foot near the surface, with shore anglers doing best. Kastmasters scored some action, but most stuck with Power Bait and nightcrawlers.

hookedonsteelies
12-24-2009, 07:57 AM
Don't know how many of you saw the Sac Bee this morning but the "Fishing Line" had the following report for Amador: "The trout bite busted loose for the weekend, with possibly warmer water temperatures triggering the bite. Plenty of big fish in the 4- to 5-pound class reported, and one 12-pounder that was a tagged derby fish. The action was all in the top foot or more near the surface, with shore anglers doing best."
Based on all the posts I've been reading I'm guessing someone copied a report from 3 or 4 years ago which seems to be the last time action this good was to be had. Surely the good folks at Amador wouldn't intentionally misrepresent results just to try to drive more business their way, would they?

hookedonsteelies
12-24-2009, 08:01 AM
Wow. Egg on my face. Spent too much time getting my post ready and in the meantime gatorbait beat me to the punch.

flytier
12-25-2009, 06:28 AM
Don't know how many of you saw the Sac Bee this morning but the "Fishing Line" had the following report for Amador: "The trout bite busted loose for the weekend, with possibly warmer water temperatures triggering the bite. Plenty of big fish in the 4- to 5-pound class reported, and one 12-pounder that was a tagged derby fish. The action was all in the top foot or more near the surface, with shore anglers doing best."
Based on all the posts I've been reading I'm guessing someone copied a report from 3 or 4 years ago which seems to be the last time action this good was to be had. Surely the good folks at Amador wouldn't intentionally misrepresent results just to try to drive more business their way, would they?

That's ridiculous. If that story wasn't just completely fabricated by some lazy journalist then it means that someone associated with the place is taking us all for a bunch of fools.

Maybe someone should ask the Bee where they got that information - that would be interesting.

If the action HAD busted loose as they report then I'm sure that this thread would be full of pictures. Especially of that 12lb'er.

camotracker
12-25-2009, 01:47 PM
If the action HAD busted loose as they report then I'm sure that this thread would be full of pictures. Especially of that 12lb'er. [/quote]

really.

Jfitalia
12-25-2009, 05:28 PM
well there wouldnt be a pic of the 12lber if the angler was a sniffer????? :D

I do agree that if the bite was red hot we would know about it. However just cause there isnt a pic of a large fish doesnt mean it wasnt caught.

Trout_Terminator
12-25-2009, 06:47 PM
well there wouldnt be a pic of the 12lber if the angler was a sniffer?????* :D

I do agree that if the bite was red hot we would know about it. However just cause there isnt a pic of a large fish doesnt mean it wasnt caught.

Pics or it didn't happen comes to mind with this one. For instance... I can say that i caught a 17lber out of amador. Now, it is possible, but unless i showed pics, it probably didn't happen.

Jfitalia
12-25-2009, 09:59 PM
very true however I guess im one of those glass half full kind of person. Just cause there isnt a pic doesnt mean it did or didnt happen. I have caught multiple trout of 10lbs and havent posted a pic here, nor has the lake that it was caught

Manteca Steve
12-26-2009, 04:25 AM
Hey Folks
Havent fished this season,(other commitments) from November till now. I have talked to many anglers, they say that there are fish in the lake but not as plentiful as last year. And as for insult to injury, theyre not even biting this year. The reasoning behind this, is there could be a lot of shad this year, the water is real low, lack of O2 or whatnot. Forget about the 5000 lbs they admit they are not stocking, and concentrate on the 3000 lbs that is being stocked a week. I am questioning,* since they have been stocking since November( 3000 lbs per week, not counting Oct ), why are there not that many fish in the lake?? anyone anyone bueller bueller....

To Trout terminator: Not trying to be mean spirited, but I know many a men who Fish at Amador and other lakes and if they tell me they caught a 10 lber than they caught 10lber. Don't need a photo ;).

Trout_Terminator
12-26-2009, 06:39 PM
Going to be going out Tuesday (that's the plant day right?). Anyone else going to be out that day?

-TT

Team Mc Fishing
12-26-2009, 06:51 PM
if anyone is going or has been there in the last few days can we get a ramp report? We need to know how far down the water is on the ramp. We have big and small boats on the team and need to know how the launch access is looking. Maybe get out there Tuesday ourselves if the ramp is still in the water. Maybe even post some pics here would be good too. Thank you in advance

Jfitalia
12-26-2009, 09:11 PM
the report from a few days ago was it was still in water. it cant change that fast...

gatorbait
12-27-2009, 03:36 AM
if anyone is going or has been there in the last few days can we get a ramp report? We need to know how far down the water is on the ramp. We have big and small boats on the team and need to know how the launch access is looking. Maybe get out there Tuesday ourselves if the ramp is still in the water. Maybe even post some pics here would be good too. Thank you in advance
Water has gone up not down so you will have no problems launching. Just don't expect a good bite yet. :-[

Bigg A
12-27-2009, 03:47 AM
I bet alot of people didnt expect amador to suck this bad this year. I wonder how much revenue have nearby lakes received since amador is crappy right now. :-?

camotracker
12-27-2009, 04:53 AM
camanche is getting alot of my money. amador is my togo lake this time of the year. amador usually sees me from october to march. not this year. i'm sure the bite will turn on soon. but til then keep your heads up. just my 2 cents

LEO"CAMOTRACKER"

troutslimepuppy
12-27-2009, 05:14 AM
I hope we get some recent reports on Amador,the pup pup needs to get a fresh coat of slime.ps i hope it ant to busy mid week? 8-)

gatorbait
12-27-2009, 09:44 AM
I hope we get some recent reports on Amador,the pup pup needs to get a fresh coat of slime.ps i hope it ant to busy mid week?* 8-)*
I was up at the dam for 45 min and didn't see much action. One guy in a camo jacket hooked 2 fish but never got them in. I think he was purposely releasing them. Not sure what he was using. He had a soft tip spin rod and was shaking(whipping) the tip while reeling. Possibly tossing a small grub on small dia line? He was the only guy doing it and the only guy getting fish... Plenty of boaters but did not see any activity near the dam.

Bigg A
12-27-2009, 11:26 AM
I hope we get some recent reports on Amador,the pup pup needs to get a fresh coat of slime.ps i hope it ant to busy mid week?* 8-)*
I was up at the dam for 45 min and didn't see much action. One guy in a camo jacket hooked 2 fish but never got them in. I think he was purposely releasing them. Not sure what he was using. He had a soft tip spin rod and was shaking(whipping) the tip while reeling. Possibly tossing a small grub on small dia line? He was the only guy doing it and the only guy getting fish... Plenty of boaters but did not see any activity near the dam.

Probably a crappie jig, thats the same way I work it. The fish slam it pretty hard when they hit.... ;D ;D

Paddleman
12-27-2009, 01:56 PM
no problem launching a boat.* ramp is in the water.* plenty of room for a large boat. more action at Comanche right now.

Team Mc Fishing
12-27-2009, 02:20 PM
Yeah I just got home from camanche a couple hours ago and we did good again today. Last trip to Camanche was 4 days ago. I was just wanting to know how it was doing because I will trout fish when I go to Amador and maybe catfish and bass fish for practice. I will spend th night and make a 2 day trip out of it. So I may head up there in the next week or so and I will post my results.

flytier
12-29-2009, 08:51 AM
Regarding pictures, it wouldn't be the first time that I have seen a picture of a guy holding a 5-6lb fish with a caption saying "12lb'er".

It is just not worth getting into an argument over but I reckon that there are some bad scales out there.

troutslimepuppy
12-29-2009, 09:36 AM
any reports from today ?thinking obout hitting it tomorrow.I wonder if the holliday crowds cleaned up todays plant? :-/

Bigg A
12-29-2009, 10:08 AM
any reports from today ?thinking obout hitting it tomorrow.I wonder if the holliday crowds cleaned up todays plant? :-/

I highly doubt that... :). Most of us are still waiting for a WFO bite..... ;D ;D ;D

_Guppy
12-29-2009, 10:12 AM
My friend caught 3 today at amador
http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/4578/mms1229091.jpg

Bigg A
12-29-2009, 10:31 AM
Did your friend happen to mention how the bite was?

_Guppy
12-29-2009, 10:44 AM
He said it was SLOW! He got that fish on chartruese powebait under a bubble.

CRESTLINER 08
12-29-2009, 10:46 AM
THE ONE THING YOU CAN SAY ABOUT AMADOR IS IF U CATCH IT WILL BE A NICE 4# PLUS FISH

Sawdog
12-29-2009, 10:48 AM
I sat up at the dam and watched fisherman for quite a while. I saw 1 fish caught and another one on the stringer. So pretty slow. Couple dozen I could see fishing at the bank and maybe a dozen in boats.

xxxxxx
12-29-2009, 10:53 AM
If they were planting what they say weekly....and only a few daily being caught....then that pond would be shoulder to shoulder trout?????

RF

flytier
12-29-2009, 11:11 AM
If they were planting what they say weekly....and only a few daily being caught....then that pond would be shoulder to shoulder trout?????

Exactly!* :)

Not to mention that these trout don't hide - they show themselves and they do so particularly around dusk. Watch the lake surface around dusk and compare it with previous years. You'll see what I mean and so I rest my case!

My $$ stays in my wallet till I see lots of photos on here again.

Bigg A
12-29-2009, 11:28 AM

Exactly!* :)

Not to mention that these trout don't hide - they show themselves and they do so particularly around dusk. Watch the lake surface around dusk and compare it with previous years. You'll see what I mean and so I rest my case!

My $$ stays in my wallet till I see lots of photos on here again.

+1... 8-)

H-man
12-29-2009, 12:20 PM
Tuesday - tough fishing

Against good advice, hit Amador today to see if I could get some cutbows. The fishing was tough, but did manage to land two fish maybe 3# each.

They did plant, not sure how many or how much, but I heard people say there were maybe four or more trailer loads of fish put in.

There were a number of fisherman right at the tube where the fish were put in, not sure if they caught fish or not. Did hear a guy yelling at the fisherman to get away from the tube - no fishing zone.

I agree with Flytier, I will now stay away from Amador until the reports pick up or once Pardee opens, who cares about Amador fishing!

Bigg A
12-29-2009, 02:05 PM
Tuesday - tough fishing

Against good advice, hit Amador today to see if I could get some cutbows.* The fishing was tough, but did manage to land two fish maybe 3# each.*

They did plant, not sure how many or how much, but I heard people say there were maybe four or more trailer loads of fish put in.

There were a number of fisherman right at the tube where the fish were put in, not sure if they caught fish or not.* Did hear a guy yelling at the fisherman to get away from the tube - no fishing zone.
I agree with Flytier, I will now stay away from Amador until the reports pick up or once Pardee opens, who cares about Amador fishing!

After putting gas and grabbing a few needed fishing items, getting some breakfast on the way there and arriving to pay a hefty fee.....those people wanna get there money's worth. ;D Last trip me and jfitalia made, we were told to get away from the launch along with a few others. We were doing nothing wrong and we were not in the way of people launching there boats. It wasnt like it was jam packed with 15 boats in a line waiting to launch or something. IMO its a money issue, they could care less if you caught fish or not. They know dam well there fish arent biting and probably just sit back and laugh while people are steady showing up. If they cared they would tell you before you spend the dough. I think as long as you have a license and not doing anything illegal, we as fisherman should be able to fish every nook and cranny of that lake being how slow it is, to at least have a shot of hopefully catching a limit... ;)

SalmoClarki
12-30-2009, 02:40 AM
Those plant numbers have always been "fishy" to say the least. ;D ;D Now its finally starting to show perhaps.

PapaGreg
12-30-2009, 06:04 AM
:)BIGG ANT, I started going to Amador in the early 70's, mainly for crappie.

No matter what time of year I called and asked how the fishing was, the answer was always the same!

They were mainly interested in selling bait (they sold minnows back then) and to say the conditions of the camp grounds were good would be really stretching it.

I remember when the flush toilets and showers were hit and miss!

You hit the nail on the head, they want to make money.

Only a little over a month until Pardee opens!!!!!!!

fish_feeder32
12-30-2009, 11:26 AM
That is all those put and take lakes want is to make* [smiley=moneybag1.gif] thats the name of the game it is a business. But dont get me wrong there are better ways to run a business. And if they dont wise up and stop there bogus reports about the fishing and amounts of fish planted business might get bad for them. I wonder if they realize most of there business comes from us sniffers. And with all these bad reports people are already talking about fishing other places that are not only cheaper but are producing fish. Looks like amador may have seen it's better days with less business means less funding for raising and planting trout next year and down hill from there unless they do something to change.* ;)

Jfitalia
12-30-2009, 11:49 AM
While I do think a lot of us fish the lake from the site I really don't think us sniffers not fishing it is gonna hurt. With all of us not fishing it now that place is still packed. I would like to think we could pass the word around however it won't make a difference. They will still get business >:(

fish_feeder32
12-30-2009, 12:03 PM
Thats true there are still alot of people out there but there not fools they will catch on. No one likes to pay so much that it almost hurts and then get skunked. Even the die hards will start looking for cheaper and better producing places to fish. Lord knows there are plenty around the mother lode. Dont get me wrong I love to fish amador and It would be a shame to see one of the greatest mother lode lakes go down the drains for any reason at all. Good luck to all you fellow sniffers and hopefully things will change and get better. I would love for my kids and there kids and so on be able to enjoy the mighty donaldson cuttbow that lake amador produces. ;)

CRESTLINER 08
12-30-2009, 01:59 PM
I FISHED THE LAKE 4 THE FIRST TIME LAST NOV DROVE ALMOST 3 HRS TO GET THERE.KEPT READING ALL THE GREAT WEEKLY REPORTS .GOT THERE AT 6 AND FISHED 4 1AN HR N DIDNT GET A BITE . HAD THE WRONG SETUP I WAS FISHING ON THE BOTTOM . GOT A CLEAR BOBBER N TROUT WORMS THE REST WAS HISTORY . GOT LIMIT 45MINS LATER.WENT BACK DEC AND LIMITS AGAIN WENT THIS YEAR IN NOV GOT 1 DEC GOT 1 MIGHT TRY ONE MORE TIME FROM A BOAT TROLLING IN JAN LOTS OF MONEY ON GAS AND LAKE FEES ....KEEP HOPE ALIVE

troutslimepuppy
12-30-2009, 02:10 PM
you had to track em down today.glad I did not get skunked. :)

gatorbait
12-30-2009, 03:15 PM
Well, I can tell you Amador business is way down this year compared to last year. I wonder how the plants will be next year? They lost over 50,000 (4") fish when the irrigation pipe broke this past fall. You would think they would purchase some Lassen Trout just to get a bite going. :-?

troutslimepuppy
12-30-2009, 03:36 PM
gator I am aware of that as well. sorry for the un timely post.

gatorbait
12-31-2009, 04:35 AM
you had to track em down today.glad I did not get skunked. :)
What did you get them on? At least you don't have to worry about that Amador boat traffic. ;)

troutslimepuppy
12-31-2009, 11:03 AM
silver and black non jointed rapala.

camotracker
12-31-2009, 11:42 AM
silver and black non jointed rapala.
is that the f5? or the smaller one?

LEO"CAMOTRACKER"

flytier
12-31-2009, 12:55 PM
When the fishing is consistently bad the good fishermen will notice it sooner because they are not at all used to being continually skunked (or perhaps having to work really hard for only one or two fish instead of five).

But IMO they could continue in business like that for quite some time because the truth is that most guys are just not used to doing well on a regular basis.

I have a hunch that the owners may be running the place down on purpose - perhaps they have no plans to continue with it in a year or two and so it is just a case of bagging a few extra dollars before finally baling out.

If that's the case then it makes sense to "use up the seed corn" by planting less.

dinos marine
01-01-2010, 05:45 AM
I have a hunch that the owners may be running the place down on purpose - perhaps they have no plans to continue with it in a year or two and so it is just a case of bagging a few extra dollars before finally baling out.
omg, do you really think this is the reason??? i guess thats why they never fixed mark's steps. with out yakmotors postings, it really is looking dismal :'(

troutslimepuppy
01-01-2010, 06:57 AM
f 5 was the size.

xxxxxx
01-01-2010, 09:54 AM
omg, do you really think this is the reason??? i guess thats why they never fixed mark's steps. with out yakmotors postings, it really is looking dismal :'(

I saw on the "other" board that the owners turned over opperations to their children???

RF

camotracker
01-01-2010, 12:05 PM
f 5 was the size.

thanks

Jfitalia
01-01-2010, 02:26 PM
They haven't turned the whole the over to them. Bob isn't exactly getting any younger however he was opening up the lake the last few times I was there. He just can't keep doing it by himself. Now this is just my opinion here but his son bruce is an a$$ and I can't stand that guy. He talks to people like there trash.

hoghunter3
01-02-2010, 10:11 AM
Nothing has really changed this year from a management standpoint. Bob's still opening most days and Bruce and Sandy continue to run the day to day business as they have for the last few years. (Both are really good people once you get to know them)
I think the biggest issue is they are simply not putting the number of fish as in past years. I just spent 3 days there last week and I have never seen less surface activity. While I continue to catch fish the numbers are less than any of the last 15 years (in December) and the bites have become few and far between. Lots of folks I've talked to out on the water are reporting zero's as well. That was never the case in the past.
There is a ton of shad in the lake but I don't believe that's the root case as I don't find shad in the belly's of fish that I've checked.
I still see lots of "Banker's" but the number of boaters is really dropping off. I can sure see why when Commanche is kicking out 20+ fish days pretty regular. Pardee's opener is going to drive volume there as well.
As the number of fisherman continues to drop, it's my bet you'll start seeing more quality fish planted. This is a business. The less fish they plant the greater the profit until the number of fisherman drops off.
In my opinion, it's a simple case of supply and demand.
Just my 2 cents worth

CRESTLINER 08
01-02-2010, 03:08 PM
im still waiting 2 take that 2;45 min drive to get there .the size and the fight in those cutbows is second 2 none.i have been there 2 times so far and got 1 each times nov dec just waiting 2 go back when its worth it !!!

Trout_Terminator
01-02-2010, 07:17 PM
They are stocking it. The last plant (tues.) they put in 3 loads (i watched all 3 go in). What i did find though that they are gut stuffing the fish before they plant. All 3 of mine were throwing up the trout chow, and all across the lake you could see the pellet on top. It looked disgusting. And i also asked one of the owners why they are only planting 3k instead of 5k. His reply was that Sense people aren't coming, they aren't planting as much. I thought it was funny, simply because people aren't coming because they aren't getting fish, and sense people aren't coming they aren't planting as much fish* ::). Seems like a downward spiral to me... What i did see is that the boaters weren't getting diddly squat (the trollers). The Bankers on the dam all together got a grand total of 4. The people who fished the stock (such as myself) got 3 limits, and the rest had at least one. I got 4 meaty fish (one was my buddies, so our bag total was 4), so i basically caught the same as the people on the dam, which is terrible. Sorry for the late report, its been hectic with the holidays.

-TT

xxxxxx
01-03-2010, 12:27 AM
For the price to fish in that lake.....70% of the people should limit out!!!! They all know how so thats not the problem???? I was there last year and it was the same story.....I saw fish and they would not hardly hit nothing??? Thats why the netting and snagging goes on.....because those fish do not go on the bite.

RF

dinos marine
01-03-2010, 04:26 AM
And i also asked one of the owners why they are only planting 3k instead of 5k. His reply was that Sense people aren't coming, they aren't planting as much. I thought it was funny, simply because people aren't coming because they aren't getting fish, and sense people aren't coming they aren't planting as much fish*
hahaha...........now thats funny :D cut back the plants because there are less people coming to the lake. early october the lake was packed! now it seems that there isnt that many people. hmmmmmmmmm so who was the einstein who thought that they should cut back on the plants????
maybe if they stopped feeding them a coule of days before the plants, the fish would be on the bite, and more people would come out.
maybe of they fixed marks steps......
maybe if they cleaned up a little.......
maybe if they dropped the price a little, raising it 10 bucks from last year is a jump.
maybe i will keep trying dell valle?

CRESTLINER 08
01-03-2010, 05:16 AM
profit profit profit thats the name of the game for this dump its bad enough i have to take an xtra bag to pick up some the garbage thats all over the dam ,than to catch 1 if im lucky ,,waiting for pardee 2 open

troutslimepuppy
01-03-2010, 07:59 AM
as Gatorbait stated earlyier in this thread,there was a fish kill in the fall that is going to be felt later down the line.it seems to me that they are rationing there inventory or blowing smoke.I sure hope that this fishery makes it cause I sure love Amador and would hate to see it go bloop bloop bloop.ps the trash is the nasty nast. :'(