PDA

View Full Version : Coast Guard Rescue! Its that time..Be Careful! (Video/pics)

sublime1bs
12-04-2009, 06:01 AM
Its that time again when the seas start to pick up and can sneak right up on you.* We've learned that from a few boats recently.* Make sure to check and double check that you have two of everything you need, have a buddy boat, know your bar conditions, etc.* *

This is some footage I captured 30 miles out, while out fishing for longfins.* *We got a call that our buddy's boat was taking on water.* While limping back in, the engines died.* Dead in the water, 20-some miles out, a couple hours* before dark.* *However, we fish as a group and were within radio distance and caught up to the vessel.* We stood by and waited til the Helo got there, and the rescue swimmer dropped.* I just hung out up on the front of the boat capturing some awesome images!

I wrote a blog on it with video and pics!* Here's the whole story!

http://bssphoto.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2007-01-01T00%3A00%3A00-08%3A00&updated-max=2008-01-01T00%3A00%3A00-08%3A00&max-results=5

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c56/Sublime1bs/copter2.jpg

Good Luck out there, but just be careful!

GCinGV
12-04-2009, 01:57 PM
Glade to hear it turned out well.
Did they figure out why it was taking on water, broken through-hull fittings by chance?
GC

fishsniffer68
12-05-2009, 03:44 AM
Here's what I see wrong with this picture.There should have been pictures of the stranded crew on your boat.There should have been pictures of you towing that boat in and intercepting the coast guards close to the harbor, you were fishing in flat calm seas compared to what I am used to.Your boat would have easily towed that boat in at 7-12 knts in those flat seas.Tow line can easily be cut if need be. I am only a weekend boater, averaging 900 miles a season and can tell you this. SHAME ON YOU. I will not accept "take backs" nor any excuses.Your camera belongs some where else. Good Day.

sublime1bs
12-05-2009, 08:25 AM
So, SmartGuy, we should've disregarded the Coast Guard asking us to just stand by?? They had a helo and 2 47's on the way. The boat was NOT in danger of sinking before they got there. We were told to stand by and wait. We did. NOTHING wrong with filming while doing so.
Call us crazy, but WE don't feel its right to ignore CG orders Perhaps YOU might disregard them and try and play hero, or think that your way MUST be better than the CG, huh?! ... oh wait! you didn't know the rest of the story, do ya?!? .. I'm sure the CG knows a LITTLE more than you or myself about these situations. From looking back? I'm VERY correct, they do!

oh, and by the way, this is in no way a "take backs" or "any excuses" you may be referring to... (which is so juvenile) Its probably more mature to ask about the rest of the situation before coming to you Own conclusion that makes no sense...

...This is why you're a weekend boater. ;)

Paikea09
12-05-2009, 08:34 AM
I agree, Crabman, don't be so damn quick to pass judgement before you know the full facts of the situation.* Rescuing the guy and his crew would have interfered with a Coast Guard operation.* Everyone of us would go to the aid of a fisherman in trouble and if Sublime didn't, he obviously had a damn good reason for doing it (and he did). Damn nice photo btw Sublime, my brother's in the Coast Guard btw.

Know_Excuses
12-05-2009, 09:21 AM
I agree, Crabman, don't be so damn quick to pass judgement before you know the full facts of the situation.* Rescuing the guy and his crew would have interfered with a Coast Guard operation.* Everyone of us would go to the aid of a fisherman in trouble and if Sublime didn't, he obviously had a damn good reason for doing it (and he did).* Damn nice photo btw Sublime, my brother's in the Coast Guard btw.

Exactly how I feel. Thanks for sharing sublime.

sublime1bs
12-05-2009, 05:00 PM
Thank you. We DID aid them.. Perhaps just not the way Mr Crabman would have. We did it the way were ASKED to do it...by standing by in case things DID go south...

Thanks Paikea! Coasties deserve every bit of praise they get! They do more than we'd ever expect them to. Thank YOU, Coast Guard!
I only shared this so others might learn from it.. not to be criticized. I'm sorry if it came across that way.

FishbucketII
12-05-2009, 11:30 PM
Your not going to be towing a boat half full of water at 7-12 knots. ::)

Thanks for the story Sublime.

iggybabble
12-08-2009, 06:34 AM
While i wasnt there crabman,and apparently you werent either,reading the story,it sounds like the boat had a fair amount of water in its bilge,as i can only assume that's what caused them to lose engines. With that amount of water onboard,towing might have been a little dicey......transferring people from one boat to another in open water can be difficult and dangerous.......Ive owned a couple small boats,and worked 20+ seasons as a deckhand on numerous bay area charter boats,and ive heard many radio broadcasts between boaters and the Coast Guard....depending on the situation,they will either request boaters in the vicinity to "stand by" or "render assistance"......Crabman,as someone who wasnt there,you cant possibly give well reasoned advice to those who were there

iggybabble
12-08-2009, 06:57 AM
Credit to you Sublime for doing the right thing,but after reading your whole story,im highly critical of the numbskulls in the boat that ended up in distress.....here's why! they apparently were taking on water,but decided that there bilge pump was keeping up with the flow,and continued fishing? There priorities seemed a little off,they should have stopped fishing,tried to ascertain where water was coming in,repaired it if possible,otherwise called the CG,apprised them of the situation,and probably headed towards shore,preferrably with another boat accompanying them.

fishsniffer68
12-08-2009, 01:06 PM
Thanks for sharing your knowledge, Bob. With your experience, you definately know more about the ocean than I do. I have made quite a few 20-60 mile offshore runs out of Santa Cruz and the Golden Gate and I never, ever would like this incident to happen to me. However, if it did, I would not wish to stand in a sinking vessel with my buttocks pinched for 40 minutes or so. I would rather jump or swim to my buddy's boat or whoever is willing to assist me. Correct me if I am wrong, the Coast Guards always ask for boaters in the proximity of the distressed to assist. Looking at the video (in my opinion), the water was almost flat, and a simple transfer was very doable. Now, while waiting for the Coast Guard, and if given the opportunity, would you rather jump in your buddy's boat or wait in a sinking boat for the Coast Guard's arrival? Your thoughts will be appreciated.
Thanks

iggybabble
12-09-2009, 01:41 AM
The CG advises boaters to stay on or with the vessel unless its either on fire or in imminent danger of sinking,neither of which was the case in this instance. the other boat DID assist,they stood by close to the distressed vessel so if the situation became more dire,they could actually take a more active role.

Goldencarp
12-09-2009, 01:57 AM
The coast guard is great at what they do, and I for one am very thankful for them. They dropped us two pumps and a rescue swimmer when our 50' albacore boat was sinking fast 50 miles off of Ft Bragg in rough seas. A chopper and two planes stayed with us until the cutter arrived to tow us to port. Thank you coast guard!!

tunaman
12-09-2009, 04:57 AM
How much was the bill for the rescue from the C.G.?

Goldencarp
12-09-2009, 05:33 AM
I our case there was no charge, it is what the CG does.

iggybabble
12-09-2009, 06:54 AM
I believe that they have the right to bill those who get rescued,if its determined that the emergency was caused by gross negligence or similar reasons.

willyc
12-11-2009, 03:55 AM
Hey guys havent posted for a while. actually about eight months, was getting settled at my new unit with the USCG!

I have been stationed here on the island of Oahu for that time on my boat a 110' Patrol boat. Our Main missions on this boar are SAR, maritime law enforcement, and fisheries protection.

I am by no means an expert but have been a part of some pretty cool SAR cases.

I will completely concur with what the CG instructed the near by boater to do, that is standard operating procedure. only as a last resort do we ever encourage the transfer of crew without us on scene and hopefully being done by us. As far as towing our policy is dont put a vessel in tow that is similar or larger in sized than your own. that being said when large civilian boats are in the area and are VOLUNTEERING to assist we will let them.

An as far as charging them, we are allowed to do so only if it is gross negligence. Then we can charge for everything. and its expensive to run these boats, helos, and c-130s. The boat im on burns almost 500gph at 26knts and thats usually what we turn going to a SAR case.

will

sublime1bs
12-11-2009, 04:11 PM
Thanks for everything you do, Willyc!

HFC
12-11-2009, 04:15 PM
well ,you shouldn't take a boat out for longfin if you haven't gone throught your vessel properly . thats risking your crew and yourself and the CG lives. oh ya the PDF's should be upgraded to newer ones

sublime1bs
12-16-2009, 09:53 AM
HFC,

I'm sure the board, along with myself, whole-heartedly agrees with those recommendations. Thank you!

The one thing I completely forgot to do, though, is ask YOU to TELL them how they should've done it...because I'm SURE they still needed to know that. I know that when I make wrong judgement and learn from something, I TOTALLY enjoy someone coming out and telling me the obvious.

Sorry, not tryin to be so sarcastic, Its just a case of the obvious that doesn't need to be stated.

Know_Excuses
12-16-2009, 10:15 AM
The coast guard is great at what they do, and I for one am very thankful for them. They dropped us two pumps and a rescue swimmer when our 50' albacore boat was sinking fast 50 miles off of Ft Bragg in rough seas. A chopper and two planes stayed with us until the cutter arrived to tow us to port. Thank you coast guard!!

Man, if you get some time I would love to hear more about your rescue.

airmec
12-16-2009, 12:29 PM
Nice story good to know our taxes do some good. People need to remember no matter how carefull you are or how well you prepare Murphy's Law and Gravity never sleeps

iggybabble
12-17-2009, 04:38 AM
A question for you,Sublime? It sounds like you are acquainted with the boaters who had the emergency.....Do you think THEY have learned any lessons from the ordeal?

bigeasy8240
12-17-2009, 05:56 AM
Sometime we (humans) are too insensitive! What's the important fact about this? The END RESULTS!!!!!! People are ALIVE and WELL! Lessons?
What lessons?

Prepare your boat before your journey! The spaceshuttle was prepared for it's journey, Titanic prepared for it's journey, Raiders thought they were prepared for their journey, you get the idea! 8-)

PEOPLE ARE ALIVE AND LIVING TO FISH ANOTHER DAY!!!!

iggybabble
12-18-2009, 02:57 AM
Bigeasy,you are correct in your assertion that the most important end result is no loss of life,HOWEVER, if nothing was learned in this incident,its more likely to occur more often,than if lessons were learned..........and actually,we are often far TOO sensitive,rather than insensitive,in my opinion!

BASS-O-MATIC
12-23-2009, 09:12 AM
Better be carefull trashing fellow sniffer's. They will stand together, oh yea doesn't the captain always go down with the ship?

ot
12-31-2009, 03:21 AM
Were you able to figure out what caused the leak?