PDA

View Full Version : trolling for trout what kinda line

jerry_powers
12-09-2009, 10:01 AM
what test do you use and what kind, brand.* i have two ultra light rods with abu's on them what should i spool them with for trout/koks trolling.* i also have downriggers if that changes things

murph1135
12-09-2009, 10:56 AM
i troll alot for trout and am just getting into kokenee but 8# test works well for me and i will reduce that on the leader depending on water coler

Jason
12-09-2009, 10:59 AM
I use 6 pound Maxima Ultragreen and am happy with it. My fishing partner just got 6 pound P-Line CX Premium in green put on her reel. After seeing the P-Line in action though, I'm starting to like it.

murph1135
12-09-2009, 11:05 AM
the maxima is good stuff

Jetspray
12-09-2009, 11:16 AM
Depends on the target size trout, if you use a small line on Pyramid you will regret loosing your lure to that lunker. On smaller lakes like Topaz 6lb P-line CXX is ok, but I prefer 6 or 8 lb Cajun Red so far. Eagle 8 lb Maxima green for the troll and 6lb P-line CXX for slip bobber action.......Jetspray

Trout Tracker
12-09-2009, 12:38 PM
I use 6&8 pound p-line floracarbon.I thought that the greens and reds the fish could see easier?
TT

gfishes
12-09-2009, 12:39 PM
Eagle...6lb Maxima Ultra green with 4lb Vanish Transition leader on ultra lite downrigger rods....4lb Vanish Transition for bobber fishing.

dinos marine
12-09-2009, 03:14 PM
i prefer powerpro, 8 pound braided. love the stuff

FishbucketII
12-10-2009, 12:34 AM
I use 8lb. Maxima UG as the Main and change up the leader to conditions and general size of fish that will be caught.

Captain Compassion
12-10-2009, 02:07 AM
P-Line CXX 6# pounds for trolling or as leader on Leadcore. Will go to 8# for Pyramid.

CC

GutHookd
12-10-2009, 02:53 AM
4lb Maxima Ultra Green

Hookin_Up
12-10-2009, 04:04 AM
I'm using P-Line CX Premium "Clear Fluorescent." Do you all find that Green or Red line is better? I have never used either.

Don
12-10-2009, 04:56 AM
I have been useing Berkly Cajain Red 6#Sence red it the first color to disaper under water. Nothing to brag about.Thinking of going back ti bredded though

BigBill
12-10-2009, 07:17 AM
I run three rods when my son and I troll. Two have 10lb green braid with a 10 foot leader of 6lb flourocarbon, and other has straight 6lb flouro. The braid/flouro rods outfish the straight flouro 3 to 1. Use an Albright knot to join the braid and flouro or the braid will cut the flouro.

Jason
12-10-2009, 09:10 AM
This year I went to using the same line for a leader as the main line. Out of 2 dozen trips to Pardee and Crystal Basin to date, I'm finding no real difference between the mono or flouro line and landing fish.

kokemachine83
12-10-2009, 09:38 AM
10# Red Cajon Casting line

iggybabble
12-11-2009, 03:24 AM
Ive got a lot of gear,with reels/spools loaded with different test lines,and ive never seen any logic in going with a particular lb test main line with a lighter leader! After all,your knots are typically the weakest link,so keeping knots to a minimum makes sense.....I stick with whatever my main line is for my leader.......Ive never trolled trout with any Spectra or other braid,but in that instance,obviously you would use either regular mono or fluorocarbon as leader for its lower visibility.
I troll mostly with either 4 or 6 lb mono for trout,with 100-120 feet of line out,and fairly soft rods,it takes a fairly decent amount of effort to break these test lines,even with decent sized fish.......Ande,P-line CXX, or Maxima are all tough lines,and dont break easily!

iggybabble
12-11-2009, 03:25 AM
Ive got a lot of gear,with reels/spools loaded with different test lines,and ive never seen any logic in going with a particular lb test main line with a lighter leader! After all,your knots are typically the weakest link,so keeping knots to a minimum makes sense.....I stick with whatever my main line is for my leader.......Ive never trolled trout with any Spectra or other braid,but in that instance,obviously you would use either regular mono or fluorocarbon as leader for its lower visibility.
I troll mostly with either 4 or 6 lb mono for trout,with 100-120 feet of line out,and fairly soft rods,it takes a fairly decent amount of effort to break these test lines,even with decent sized fish.......Ande,P-line CXX, or Maxima are all tough lines,and dont break easily!

MSFISK
12-11-2009, 04:57 AM
I use P-Line cxx 6# for kokes and trout 8+ 10# for pyramid. Knock on wood the line has never failed on a fish .I like the moss green

jerry_powers
12-11-2009, 08:54 AM
cool thanks for all your imput i had mine spooled up with 12# might have been to heavy for kokes

wkguns
12-11-2009, 10:12 AM
we use p line floroclear 10#. the line you use is what ever makes you happy

SteelyDon
12-11-2009, 10:20 AM
I use 6# main line with a 6# leader unless I'm at Eagle Lake, there I use 8# main with 6# leader. If not you will lose fish. If using lead-core, which 12# seems to be the lightest lead-core I can find, I'll use a 6# leader and feel guilty about every trout I catch. Does anyone know if they make 8# lead-core???

old sea ranger
12-11-2009, 12:22 PM
I use 10lb spectra w/30' of 10lb seaguar invizX spliced. Koks hit so hard any less than 10lb corkscrews the line. 30' of seagar gives you a gage of your setback.

iggybabble
12-12-2009, 02:42 AM
Assuming you dont have a weak spot or nick in your main line,where does MOST line break? AT THE KNOT!!!! Those who suggest using a heavier main line to avoid breaking off fish are incorrect in there logic,since your line will break at its weakest link......Use a decent reel,with a smooth drag,tie strong knots,have a rod matched to the lb test of your line,and keep your drag set to a reasonable level!
Undeniably in clear water at least,light line or leader frequently gets more bites,so just use lighter line!
I understand the dilemna that those who choose to fish leadcore face,since its all heavier test than you need for 99% of all trout fishing,so in that instance i can see why someone would use something like 8 lb Fluoro for a leader.....consider trying a Luhr Jensen Troll-eaze trolling rudder( its made out of heavy gage wire,and pulls apart to allow you add or subtract egg sinkers to change weight) with 4 or 6 lb mono......it does double duty,it reduces line twist and adds weight to get your line down deeper.

Jfitalia
12-12-2009, 06:00 PM
I always you 8lb marked flex-on mono... It prevents me from having to use a line counter and the mono is super strong.

King James
12-13-2009, 02:56 AM
I agree...weakest link is your knots....I don't use a leader when I troll..I just tie straight to my main line. I use 6# P-line CXX for kokes and trout, 8# plus P-line CXX for trolling for browns.

fish_junky
12-13-2009, 03:32 AM
I use 8lb test Maxima Ulta Green for trout and kokanee. I use the same but 10lb test at Pyramid.

Athlete24
12-13-2009, 09:32 AM
The theory behind using a stronger main line and a lighter leader is that using a heavier main line allows some room for error in the way of imperfections that might lead to a line breaking. Because the main line is so much longer it is more difficult to notice imperfections that might lead to line failure. Using a heavier main line gives the benefit of the extra line diameter that can make up for possible imperfections and degradation due to aging (which extends its life somewhat). The benefit of using a light leader is that it is checked/changed every time you fish (and it can easily be checked/changed because it is not that long). The smaller diameter gives the advantage of it being less visible to the fish, improving your presentation. Finally some fishermen would be comforted to know that they aren't just muscling the fish in on strong line because they have a light leader that they have to account for. As long as knots are tied correctly and by the proper process there shouldn't be problems there either. Problems with knots come form fisherman error in tying them or forgetting to wet the line before drawing it tight which can lead to fraying.