PDA

View Full Version : Where to fish in January?

JPFX
12-05-2009, 01:33 PM
My buddy and I are planning a 3 day camping/fishing trip sometime in January. We are thinking a 3 hour drive (pulling a travel trailer & boat) from the Modesto area. Last year we did Shaver Lake and the fishing was out of sight, but it never got above freezing. If we weren't fishing, we had to sit in the trailer because it was too cold outside. Any idea's on a lake that is not up that high (we would still like to be able to enjoy a campfire at night) but where the fishing will be good and has nice full hook-up RV sites? I'm not ruling out the Delta either, just don't know how the striper fishing is that time of year (dunking bait...we don't troll for stripers). Thanks!

GCinGV
12-05-2009, 02:39 PM
For a lower elevation Trout lake Amador, Camanche or Collins generally fish well then.
January is actually a great time to bait fish Stripers and Sturgeon in the Delta. Check out Brannon Island State Park, just south of the Rio Vista Bridge on 160. Would save you some gas as well.
GC

B_RAN
12-05-2009, 05:11 PM
hey man i got the perfect place for you if you wanna go 3 hours away.. it will be cold but topaz will be your best bet.. they open for fishing on jan 1st for their opener. im sure the action will be good all janruary ;)

JPFX
12-06-2009, 02:42 AM
Thanks guys...not trying to sound negative, but we have never had luck trolling at Amador or Camanche, never tried Collins though. I wasn't aware the striper bite was still great in January...I will keep that in mind CG.
BRan - Thx for offering Topaz...I've read a lot on the FS about that lake. I will be researching that as well!
Thanks again.