PDA

View Full Version : Camanche Report and a Grub trolling?

FISH-4-FUN
11-28-2009, 10:52 AM
I was at Camanche on Friday and we boated 8 bows up to 19" kept 4 small ones and released the rest.

All fish caught on a gold and orange F9 except 1 that was caught on a crippler.Toplined at 2.3 mph.We worked Hat to the dam mostly.All and all it was a good day even with the rain.

So here is my grub question.I have tried and tried to troll grubs and all i get is line twist >:( >:(.Ihave tried swivel,bead swivels and know use a plastic keel.Can someone post or PM a pic of how to rig up a grub for trolling :-X.I use 8lb berkley line on all my reels and my leaders.

Thanks,
Chris :)

gaffers guyjw
11-30-2009, 06:29 AM
Thats a good question i also would like answer? :o gaffer guy

yonnr2000
11-30-2009, 07:40 AM
Are you using a spinning reel? I haven't had any problems with line twist using a bait casting reel and a swivel between my leader and main line.

kokemachine83
11-30-2009, 09:30 AM
The Cripplure and Grubs don't need to be trolled that fast. I use a good Crane swivel and a 5' leader for my grubs. I troll them between 1.0 to 1.5 and had great success. When you put the hook through the grub, make sure it's in line with the tail. Put it in the water to make sure it don't spin. It's ok if it spins a little. Probably to fast and not straight with the tail is your twisting problem. Also i add a 1/8 oz. egg sinker on my main line, to help keep under the surface. Hope this helps. If not PM me and i can help you out!!!

Robbie (Koke Machine)...

dinos marine
11-30-2009, 03:57 PM
you might try and get some trolling bead swivels. look like normal swivels, but have 5 beads or so. i like the seps the best.
i troll with a 5 foot ul rod, spinning reel, braided line and anywhere from a 2 foot to 6 foot flouro leader. i dint get twist unless one of my buddies tangles his line ;D
listen to kokemachine, he knows his stuff!

2sanchezs
12-01-2009, 02:03 AM
Here's another sniffers set-up
http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/vv40/trollin4life/Grub1.jpg
trollin4life 8-)

Paul707
12-01-2009, 07:07 AM
what kinda hook is that in the pic? Ive done well using the gamakatsu baitholders with grubs...

FISH-4-FUN
12-01-2009, 09:40 AM
Thanks everyone. ;)

yonnr- i use a baitcaster.

trollin4life-this is the same way i set up my grub except with the tail up.

Robbie-I think you hit the nail on the head.I have been trolling the grubs the same way and speed as the F9's.I will try slowing down and rigging the grub a little different.

Chris

kokemachine83
12-01-2009, 10:44 AM
Chris: If you are trolling with four poles, try running two Apex's with those Grubs ;) ;)

Robbie

2sanchezs
12-02-2009, 01:21 AM
Thanks everyone. ;)

yonnr- i use a baitcaster.

trollin4life-this is the same way i set up my grub except with the tail up.

Robbie-I think you hit the nail on the head.I have been trolling the grubs the same way and speed as the F9's.I will try slowing down and rigging the grub a little different.

Chris

If your running the same setup, but with the tail up. That's why your getting line twist. Try running the tail down with the hook, this should stop your line twist.

trollin4life 8

HookedForLife
12-02-2009, 11:05 AM
The Cripplure and Grubs don't need to be trolled that fast.* I use a good Crane swivel and a 5' leader for my grubs.* I troll them between 1.0 to 1.5 and had great success.* When you put the hook through the grub, make sure it's in line with the tail.* Put it in the water to make sure it don't spin.* It's ok if it spins a little.* Probably to fast and not straight with the tail is your twisting problem.* Also i add a 1/8 oz. egg sinker on my main line, to help keep under the surface.* Hope this helps.* If not PM me and i can help you out!!!

* ** ** ** ** *Robbie (Koke Machine)...

I use the exact same setup as above and it works great! I am now using a heavier 10-pound fluorocarbon leader after a hog broke me off on 8-pound line. Also, I lost another hog on a light wire Gamakatsu worm hook which bent halfway during the fight, so now I use a heavier wire hook, and the hogs are making it to the net. Make sure you have a landing net that is big enough to scoop up a 10-pounder!