PDA

View Full Version : Lake Sonoma 10/26 & 11/2

TroutWagon
11-04-2009, 04:30 AM
10/26 sunday

Took out my good buddy Joel and my son Richie to Lake Sonoma looking for some steelies, but I was a little worried that that huge rain would send them into a scurry up river with such high water. My thoughts were answered real fast as we did mark anybait or fish throught all my normal spots on th mainbody of water. after wasting a good 2 1/2 hrs searching for fish we decided to change spots and we hit the narrows between the two bodies of water. There we saw great marks and tons of baitfish but no takers, there quit a few trollers working the area and none in the main body. We finally got a smashing takedown and joel was all over it, this fish was big and did not want to come up, we slowed the boat and the battle was on, 10 minutes later we got ourselves a 3.8lb BASS! come on!! we were pumped on a fat steelie, but I new we had a bass halfway to the boat because the fish would never surface. Thats pretty much a bass defense dive straight down and head for cover.

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk302/troutwagon22/DSCI0141.jpg
then i was reeling up and the pole felt a little heavier than normal and guess what i got a BASS!! and a mini one at that!
http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk302/troutwagon22/DSCI0142.jpg
that was it for the day no steelie to be had, I did talk to a boat that just got 2 small steelies as the day was almost over

11/2

took a solo mission to find these fish, back to the main body and after a good 2 hrs I got a nice strike and a little clicker noise to get the blood flowing and yes it was a chunky 16 plump 1 1/2lb steelie, this one pounded a dropper @ 33 ft a white RMT white glow shad searpant spoon
http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk302/troutwagon22/DSCI0145.jpg
about an hour later a got another fish in the middle of the mainbody A healthy 17in steelie with great acrobatic skills I must ad just weight a little more than the first fish at 65 ft down with an white excel spoon,
http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk302/troutwagon22/DSCI0146.jpgafter that a got one more nice strike that didn't stick and that was it. There was a lot more bait in the mainbody, which was incuraging that the fish haven't all moved up yet, there were some nice solo marks which tells me that there still feeding. all steelie were released, please release all steelhead to insure that the fishery keeping growing!! thanks

TW

KingKonker
11-04-2009, 07:55 AM
:DTW
Good to hear you did connect.
My trip got postponed but will be back next week.
I plan to do some more exploring when I do get there.
I have fished the area by Cherry creek mouth this time of the year and caught a few small trout.
That is a decent bass also.

KingKonker

TroutWagon
11-04-2009, 11:29 AM
kingkonger

tell me how you do! i will start moving around after all my spots stop producing fish but those days are definitely around the corner. There are alot of trees in the area you were talking about so i wait till the lake is completely turned over to get that top 20ft working or its your downrigging gear thats gets those dam trees in the lake up there abd the next thing your doing is clipping your cable and saying goodbye to a 30-50 bucks in equipment. Hope you do well, good luck, i'll be waiting for your report.

rich

zhands
11-04-2009, 12:10 PM
Good job Rich as usual. Very nice fish.
We may start calling you Sonoma-Steelie
Those are Gorgeous fish

Way to hunt them down buddy.

Z :)

SmokingKokanee
11-05-2009, 02:26 PM
Keep us informed Rich..keep contact with me.. Lets fish!

TroutWagon
11-06-2009, 04:00 AM
z - Thanks brother!! When I go up and see ken in reno I'll give you a shout, maybe pyramid? Well talk!!

smoking kokanee-
give me a PM and well go fish, I'll keep the updates coming when I'm able togo, which I hope at least once a week.

murph1135
11-06-2009, 06:32 AM
good to hear reports from sonoma and super excited to see people doing catch and realese i have been catching those hardfighting steelies for 15 years and they are soelly responsible for geting me hooked on dounrigger fishing lots of fun but not for people with weak hearts couse they will breake or stop them this is my first post but hope to reply and post some in the future

TroutWagon
11-06-2009, 03:34 PM
lucky charm,
welcome to the boards!! Your right they are as hard fighting as there cousins down stream on the river. C&R is by far the best thing to do in this lake to preserve this awesome fishery. They truly are one of my passions in the fishing world, first time I discovered these fish I was hooked for life. So please respect nature as it will reward you with the fight of your life when you strike paydirt everyone. I'll see you out there one day LC.

TW

FishbucketII
11-06-2009, 08:45 PM
Way to go TW..

Good to see them still in the main body.. I Hope to put in one more trip before the run into the woods.

KingKonker
11-09-2009, 08:37 AM
:D Went out today and got 4 to the net. Largest was 2-5 but we covered a lot of the lake.
One boat claimed 4 with 1 large bass.
All on nightcrawlers, 2 shallow and 2 at 30+ ft.

KingKonker