PDA

View Full Version : Tahoe winter fishing

mono_co_fisher
10-19-2009, 02:05 PM
Would like to compare notes with experianced hard core Tahoe fisher(people)..for winter fishing.Charters need not reply unless you are honest about the real fishin on Tahoe.
Mono co fisher--lets do the BIG Bows and Browns this year!
Try the "Rainbow Hole"---Hmmm---
Here's a hint----try the 70 foot bar all around the lake...
Hmmmm---best regards, mono m-2 -T-6 Flatfish 6 lb leader
see my earlier post....... :)

Jetspray
10-19-2009, 09:12 PM
There are tons of guides on Tahoe, check the weather before you go though......Jetspray

Weez
10-20-2009, 05:21 AM
Hey Mono,

Rainbows are biting right now and that bite will only get better over the next month. A lot of the big browns are spawning (I just saw some the other day in one of the creeks) but they will start showing in your catch more often by Thanksgiving. Macks are on the spawn too, in deep water in the lake, but Thanksgiving to Christmas is probably my favorite time to target big macks in the shallows on Tahoe. They have finished spawning by then, they're hungry and the water temps in the shallows have dropped to their preferred range.

With artificial lures I like a fast troll normally, pulling AC Plugs, Rapalas, Rebels, Lymans and Bombers, but one of my favorite slow-troll banana plugs for the browns and macks on Tahoe is the jointed Kwikfish, K-10J, in the rainbow trout or cracked frog pattern. .

fishtales
10-20-2009, 12:15 PM
Weez' tips on Tahoe are as good as gospel... Thanks for sharing Mark!

mono_co_fisher
10-21-2009, 03:00 PM
Thanks Weeze,
Never had luck with the froggies but the rest makes sense.
I launch at Cave Rock and generally troll to Zephyr and then across to Emerald area and fish into the shore with big spoons.
Have gotten many nice Rainbows but cant find the browns.
Macks are easyto get anytime.
I like Flatfish especially M-2 which are similar to your apex, etc. and big Kastmasters.
Think Im doin somthing wrong??
Regards, Mono

mono_co_fisher
10-21-2009, 03:04 PM
Thanks Weeze,
Never had luck with the froggies but the rest makes sense.
I launch at Cave Rock and generally troll to Zephyr and then across to Emerald area and fish into the shore with big spoons.
Have gotten many nice Rainbows but cant find the browns.
Macks are easyto get anytime.
I like Flatfish especially M-2 which are similar to your apex, etc. and big Kastmasters.
Think Im doin somthing wrong??
Regards, Mono

Weez
10-22-2009, 11:20 AM
Hey Mono,

The browns will hit slow-trolled banana plugs sometimes, but they prefer slim-profile straight or jointed minnow plugs pulled at 2.5 to 4 MPH. At times I go over 3 MPH (depending on the lure type) when surface water temps are in the 50's, slower when we hit the 40's by early winter. You need to run those plugs right tight to the rocks for the browns; if you never hang up or lose a lure, you're not tight enough.

North and south of Emerald are good, structure filled areas. If you're saying that you've been casting spoons toward shore, try #9 or #11 Rapala Countdowns instead. Let them sink a bit and rip-retrieve them super-fast, with pauses.

Other option for pot-luck including some good browns is precision structure trolling with dodgers or flashers trailing fat nightcrawlers or jumbo minnows at .8 to 1.2 MPH. Same as with plugs, if you never hang your rig in the rocks, get closer!

mono_co_fisher
10-26-2009, 02:24 PM
Hi Weez,
Just got back tonite from No. Mono area, lots of fish but nothing to brag about. This weather change is a big one.
Wish* I could be on Tahoe in the morning.
Your information is very informative , but a lot of that I've tried....especially crawlers....no luck.
We are dealing with cold water fish---upper and lower depths and in the rocks--limited feed??
I'll take your word* and try when this weather blows thru.
Best Regards, Mono* ** Thanks!!! :)

Weez
10-26-2009, 11:45 PM
The other thing is, even if you know what you're doing, you can go ten trips and not catch a brown in fall or winter. You'll know if you're doing the right stuff close to the structure if you're picking up rainbows and macks. Keep at it, and learn more spots. On Tahoe, you can hit four areas in a morning, several miles apart, and get skunked at three but pick up a good fish at the last spot.

Last week my buddy and I caught only small rainbows and browns on the west shore, but at close to noon I got a five pound rainbow off the sandy south shore drop.