PDA

View Full Version : Lake Sonoma 10/10

TroutWagon
10-11-2009, 03:32 PM
Sat. morning Met Joel Gleeson and His Son Kolby from Novato for a little Steelie fishing. They have done this a few times so kolby thinks he's a pro. Hmmmmm well see if he gots what it takes to be a pro. We started out slow with a small 15iner and a sleek 1.5lb small mouth that hit the RMT UV orange flash searpant spoon as well as the 15er. both at 45ft.(both released)After about an hour we got a vicious take down , quick to the rod to hand it off to the little pro
http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk302/troutwagon22/DSCI0126.jpg

after a great ariel show we got the fish to the boat and netted it for the master. http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk302/troutwagon22/DSCI0127.jpg He did great, the fish was hot from the start, ripping off line from the start to finish. 4.85lb long slender 24 1/4" male buck getting ready for winter. Beautiful fish with so many spots. http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk302/troutwagon22/DSCI0128-1.jpg
After a photo we released the fish back into the water. The fog was socked in and that one hit in low light conditions, so we glowed up our baits and it seemed to work. after another C&R dinker* the fog lifted, then we bagged a nice little 18" buckhttp://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk302/troutwagon22/DSCI0139.jpg
the rod bender pose
http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk302/troutwagon22/DSCI0130.jpg

We circle back over the area where the birds were concentrating and we struck a tree top on the lower rod that popped the downrigger and the reel started screaming. we jumped on it and then realized quickly that were snagged. We got it all squared and started in again to the area we were targeting and as we were all moving around doing things on the boat, I heard that clicker going again zzzzzzzzZZZZZZZ! this time it wasent a tree. Fish On . I fought it for a while and then pass it to joel when we were clear of lines, man this fish was tugging, it ran 3 times breaching the water twice about 150 ft behind the boat. What an awesome sight, with little hesitation joel did his best of not getting caught up in any other poles set out, but when we saw the fish a little closer, we immediately cleared the lines and got ready. after a good 12 min. we got this monster up. Another personal boat best, Topping the eight pound mark
8.13lb 25" on the nose, a beautiful hen
Here's joel with the fish
http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk302/troutwagon22/DSCI0136.jpg
here's me with the fish, my shot gives the fishes true size
http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk302/troutwagon22/DSCI0132.jpg
http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk302/troutwagon22/DSCI0135.jpg
Again quick photos and off she went a perfect C&R day at Lake Sonoma. We got a total of 7 trout today and 1 smallmouth bass. The lake is getting cooler with the surface temp around 65 degrees. we did witness some boil ups of shad and fish so surface activity is right around the corner, the fish are still in the 50 ft range to the surface now. see you on the water soon

TW

l_muchowski
10-11-2009, 03:44 PM
Nice post. GREAT photos. I'll pass these on to my bubby in Mendo.co. Good times. :) :) :)

l_muchowski
10-11-2009, 03:45 PM
buddy in mendo. ;D ;D ;D :-[ :-[ :-[

Berryessa Kid
10-11-2009, 10:54 PM
Nice job Rich!! You have really got that place wired...
Great fish pictures, what a beautiful spot to fish...
TW guide service with two more happy clients 8-) 8-) Steve.

leadcore
10-12-2009, 04:50 AM
Those are beautiful fish. What kind of hardware were you trolling?

FishbucketII
10-12-2009, 06:53 AM
an 8 lbr. :o

Way to GO !! thanks for posting.

TroutWagon
10-12-2009, 09:47 AM
I really didn't think it was 8lbs at first but it was so thick, thats were all the weight was as well as being tall. joels photo's were not doing the fish justice. My hand was having a tough time holding the strong fish still but it's girth was in my way, you can only squeeze a fish so hard if your gonna release it.
I know there are a few more studs in there but remember Catch & release is the only way to go in this lake, please fish with care and have fun.

leadcore

mepps cyclops spoon in rainbow got the big guy with flashers in front at 40 ft. and Rocky Mt. tackle searpant spoons orange flash uv straight no dodgers or flashers

danceswithkokes
10-12-2009, 11:32 AM
TW, I have never fished Lake Sonoma before and was thinking of giving it a try possibly on Friday. If it is not too presumptuous to ask - should I focus on the main body of the lake in the dam area and to the Northwest, or the Southern arm instead - not asking for any secret locations.

Munnster
10-13-2009, 12:37 AM
Excellent looking fish Rich! Nice talking to you last week.

Fisher-Munn

FishbucketII
10-13-2009, 03:55 AM
TW, I have never fished Lake Sonoma before and was thinking of giving it a try possibly on Friday.*

Wish I could go with ya. :)

I've done well coming out of the ramp and heading toward the dam. go north to the north east side. down to the bouys (Carefull! Lots of trees around there and beyond) and back. Moving over to the SSW side with each pass. If I pick up a fish I'll go over it a couple times and see if there's more. If it's slow down the main lake I'll make a pass thru the narrows past the Marina.
Again, Lots of trees still standing. keep your eyes and ears peeled on the rigger for snags.

Good Luck ! it just might be on fire with this rain. :D

danceswithkokes
10-13-2009, 05:33 AM
Fishbucket, thanks for the input - I will let you know how I do. Trolling though the tree tops should be reminiscent of fishing at Indian Valley. Let's hope the rain keeps coming so that we can chase the Kokes there and elsewhere next season. Joe.

KingKonker
10-13-2009, 11:27 PM
Troutwagon,
Went out Monday and had several 14" fatties early. About 10:00 I got my 3-6 in the net with a good release, 20 min. later my friend got a 5-5 in the net and a good release.
Never have seen so many good size fish before.
To everyone, please release these fish, if we don't the resourse will be depleated.
THESE ARE NOT PLANTERS.

Enjoy

King Konker

TroutWagon
10-14-2009, 07:34 AM
right on KK, Aren't those fish a blast, you said it C&R is the only way. A picture will last you a life time. They are a little vunerble right now because there feeding for winter, but your right Ive never seen such good size until last year. That shows that those released fish are surviving and spawning which is what we all strive for.

jesballs
10-14-2009, 09:34 AM
you guys using barbless hooks? thinking about trying my hand at these beautiful fish maybe next month

mrsockeye
10-14-2009, 10:48 AM
Wow, congratulations! An 8 Lb wild rainbow is a fish that most California residents will never get to hook onto. That is certainly a fish of a lifetime in the Golden State.

TroutWagon
10-14-2009, 12:51 PM
jesballs,

I'm using a #2 mosquito hooks, top one has 1 barb abd the trailer is barbless on my set up

sockeye

It is special to get a trophy fish any day, but like you said it's a treat when there wild. you have caught many trophys in your time you know what it takes to put those fish back to live another day. IT Is a better satisfing feeling when you release rather than stairing at a dead fish in your cooler. I like the fact that they can live for a while so you gotta a chance to get that guy the next year.

mkmullaly
10-15-2009, 11:28 AM
I was thinking of heading to Lake Sonoma Tuesday morning.* Not having fished there, and not having a boat, I need some advice for bank fishing.* Rain is predicted for sometime Monday, and I will take that into consideration.* Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

TroutWagon
10-15-2009, 02:21 PM
for those of you considering bank fishing, It is really not a bank fishing friendly lake. you really have to be in a boat to really catch a trout in this lake. Most people who do fish near the bridge or launch. This lake has steep and hard to reach shore area all the way around the lake. It's a long drive from San Jose.
Just a heads up.

mkmullaly
10-16-2009, 09:50 AM
TroutWagon - thanks for the tip.
Guess I'll head for Del Val instead.

FishbucketII
10-16-2009, 10:36 AM
Hey Rich, What kind of rod/reel combo are you using on those bad boys?

SmokingKokanee
10-16-2009, 02:23 PM
Looks like my fish but a shorter fatter version..I wil have to post some "personal pictures" for comparion sakes as .. Thier are no true scales on a CPR fish.. Thought mine might hold the record for awile.. but CONGRADS TO A GREAT FISH AND VERY PLEASED TO SEE THE .... Lake sonoma "philos" being created..of catch and realese..
I have talked to and shown pictures of me fish to the hachery at dry creek in hopes to put limits on this breed of"trout": which resembles a Steelhead and hold its genetics as such!
Rich is a CLASSY GUY WHOM CAN PUT PEOPLE ONTO FISH IN THIS LAKE.. Thanks for the Catch and Release and glad to see yur still hooking monsters! :o