PDA

View Full Version : Lake Berryessa

Marinpaul
10-07-2009, 02:32 PM
I am new to the forum and don't see many posts about Lake Berryessa (I love the posts about the HWY 88/Caples area).* Years ago Lake Berryessa would "turn" around this time, with large rainbows feeding on top.* Once the lake turned, fishing was excellent with live minnows below a bobber.* Is this still the case, and if so, has the lake turned yet?

Thanks!

Berryessa Kid
10-08-2009, 08:26 AM
Welcome Marinpaul!! With the Koke season wrapping up the Berryessa reports have dropped off... You are spot on about the top water bite starting soon... The lake has not turned and we need wind and cold weather to make it happen.... Real soon the top water trout fishing should get good and it usually stay's that way right through spring... Minnows and bobbers will do it and so will trolling... Before the Kings and Kokanee were planted here the trout fishing was what we focused on... It used to be one heck of a trout fishery but as of lately "last several years" we can't seem to get rid of the co-pods... The pods will get better in the cooler months but they are still there... One positive thing is that a lot of anglers won't keep the trout looking like that and they release them... There are some real lunkers in there ;) Berry in the winter can be great with few rec boaters!!!!! Have fun.. I hope this helps a little. See ya around.. Steve.

P.S. I enjoy reading all the reports of the higher elevation lakes as well.
Go fishing. Take pictures. Then let us see em!!! :) :)

reelcreative
10-08-2009, 11:10 AM
The fishing pressure must be pretty light over there these days given the changes to the lakes residents and all that. How is the lake in the late fall/winter? I'll have to put Berryessa back on the radar, it's really not that far from Sactown.

Look forward to some reports.

June first
10-08-2009, 12:14 PM
We were on Berry in the first part of September, the rainbows were at 25-30'....... it has been pretty cool and windy, should be on top soon ;D
I have landed larger and clean (co-pod free) fish out of Berry this year than I have seen before 8-) :-/
There has been alot less boats on this lake this year, except all of us kokanee guys ;D ;)
Berryessa had the largest kokanee in the area this year which added to the fishing traffic, check the kokanee/king board for posts from Berry from this year, it was great
Stay tuned MarinPaul.......