PDA

View Full Version : Going to San Francisco for some fishing.

ixlatall
10-30-2009, 07:53 AM
So I am planning a trip to San Francisco and want to try some ocean fishing from one of the boats. I have never fished saltwater so I am pretty ignorant. Can any one help? I figure it will be about $40-$80 each for a spot. What are they fishing for in the bay right now? What should I plan to take? Is there any thing else I should know before going? I am a little worried about the motion sickness so I will bring plenty of Dramamine. Also any recomendations on boats would be great. I would hate for my first trip out to be a bad experience. Thanks Sniffers.

Kyosanym
10-30-2009, 08:11 AM
http://cbs5.com/local/SF.bay.spill.2.1281427.html
This news might put a damper on your plans to fish in the bay this weekend.

ixlatall
10-30-2009, 08:50 AM
http://cbs5.com/local/SF.bay.spill.2.1281427.html
This news might put a damper on your plans to fish in the bay this weekend.

If I didn't have bad luck, I'd have no luck at all. Thanks for the heads up. You saved me some time.

qersys
10-30-2009, 10:17 AM
I think a couple of the boats have moved up to Martinez to fish for stripers (Happy Hooker and California Dawn). You could check them out.

Paikea09
10-30-2009, 11:41 AM
If you really want a unique fishing experience that you won't find in many other places, go out for Humboldt squid with the New Sea Angler. Capt Rick is going to start his squid trips this Sunday and they'll last for a few weeks. Humboldts average 30-50 pounds and they put up one heck of a fight. Catching them is alot of fun and they taste good too! I'm going next week for sure. Not many places in the US you can catch 50 pound squid!

fishing925
10-30-2009, 12:52 PM
Thats one kid of fishing I haven't done yet paikea humbolt squid. Thanks for the info. I have to try it before the season is over.

centurion
10-30-2009, 02:51 PM
I'm going to do the squid thing on on the 14th.* It really looks like a blast.* But the one thing I've been warned on is that Squid are literally there today, gone tommorow.* and when they are gone, they're gone for the season.* Watch the reports, and make sure you get em while the gettin' is good!*

The 14h is the only day I can go fishing, otherwise I'd do just that.

You'll be out on open ocean waters, so if you are sensitive to motion sickness, you'll most likely need something. Dramamine works for some people, but it doesn't do squat for me. The most important thing is to remember to keep a positive attitude. If you do end up pouring your soul to the ocean, just fish through it! It keeps your mind off the misery of wretching your guts every few minutes.

This time of year, make sure you dress for the occasion. Warm clothes and rain gear- even if its not raining. I hear squid like to hose anglers down as their last and final act on earth. ;D

centurion
10-30-2009, 03:00 PM
When the bay cleans out, I like to go with Fury Sport Fishing out of Point San Pablo, or Soleman Sportfishing out of the Fisherman's Warf. Both have served me well in the past.

PM me if you'd like contact information.

Steelyhead
10-31-2009, 02:40 AM
I think a couple of the boats have moved up to Martinez to fish for stripers (Happy Hooker and California Dawn). You could check them out.
These guys are great! I always catch fish on either one of these boats...

ixlatall
10-31-2009, 03:33 AM
So Squid would be awesome as I love the taste and can't argue with the size, but as pointed out by one of the posts I keep hearing they are very much there one day and gone the next. I think I'll target something a little safer for the first time and maybe my second trip I'll work up. I also want to play it safe with the motion sickness and it sounds like the area for squid may be a little rougher. Does anyone have any idea how long a spill would take to clean up and what the affect would be on fishing. It sounds like tis one was somewhat contained as far as slicks go. If I still go in about 10 days what are the odds we would be able to head out? Probably a dumb question but thanks for any feedback.

Paikea09
10-31-2009, 04:57 AM
When it comes to seasickness (and I suffer from it), two things work well for me. The first is ginger tablets. They are more effective than any drug and don't make you dizzy. The Mythbusters on Discovery Channel tested out various medications and found ginger to be BY FAR the most effective treatment. The second thing is to visit wavewatch.com and see how the ocean is behaving that day. Simply viewing the weather forecast isn't good enough, you can have calm winds but big seas on some days (that's what happened to me on my last squid trip). If you're not up for squid, you can't go wrong with the CalDawn out of Berkeley.

ixlatall
10-31-2009, 09:15 AM
When it comes to seasickness (and I suffer from it), two things work well for me.The first is ginger tablets.They are more effective than any drug and don't make you dizzy.The Mythbusters on Discovery Channel tested out various medications and found ginger to be BY FAR the most effective

Thanks thats good to know. THat show is pretty good so I think I'll give it a try if it worked for them and you. I think I am headed towards a Crab combo. Cant beat the taste as far as I am concerned. Now I just need to find a boat and see what combos are offered. Looks like rock just stopped for the year but I am sure they'll have combos with something.

centurion
11-01-2009, 12:23 PM
I'm not a big fan of the crab combos. The crab are great eats, but they are not so fun to catch. The first few pots are exciting, but then it gets a little boring. But I'll stop short of telling you not to do it; if you find it fun, I can't argue with that! ;D

Plus, I'm not sure that anyone does crab trips inside the bay... I could be wrong.

bigeasy8240
11-02-2009, 02:48 AM
Nope, no crab trips in the bay! Illegal, except redrocks! If your visiting the Bay, you may want to try going for sturgies! My thought!

centurion
11-02-2009, 12:39 PM
[smiley=iagree.gif]

Sturgies are good fun when they're biting!

nayr
11-02-2009, 12:58 PM
crab and dab combos!

ixlatall
11-04-2009, 01:54 PM
So many options so little time. I think I'm going to call ahead to one of the listed charters and play it that way. I think I'll have fun either way as long as were catching. I agree the crab trip would probably get a little boring after the first few pots, but they sure would taste great.

Reel_Hungry
11-09-2009, 11:59 AM
I've gone out on the California Dawn several times and always had a good time. James knows his way around the bay, they have an awsome cook on board and cool deckhands. He's up in Martinez right now, (usually Berkely) fishing for stiper and sturgeon. You can also try Rick Powers out of Bodega bay. 8-)
Good Luck