PDA

View Full Version : Pyramid lake opener

dawgpound
09-15-2009, 05:07 AM
Fished Pyramid 8 times last year. Did very well. Caught 3 fish over 30". Have never been to an opener. Can't remember what posts said about opener last year. Any info about opener would be helpful.

BlizzardFish
09-15-2009, 05:13 AM
The last couple years pryamid did not pay off for me in October. Caught some fish but not red hot. I am wating until later in the fall/winter this year. Last year never really got great.

The opener is always fun though. Lotsa people out and on the radio. The first couple weeks is the best chance for a good jig bite, but that almost never happens either.

okie
09-15-2009, 07:09 AM
i'm plannin on bein there openin day trollin, hope to meet some fellow sniffers there
bill

OYD
09-15-2009, 08:27 AM
We plan on being there, but it depends upon the wind. We will bring one of our smaller boats (probably the 14 ft Klamath) so we do not have to launch at Pelican amongst the crowd. We are tired of catching and eating kokanee (yuck) and are looking foreward to the great eating cutthroat.

hopperdan82
09-15-2009, 01:08 PM
the past four openers have not been great for us. to be honest the month of October usally isn't to hot either. the water is too warm and the lake has not turned yet. once it starts getting cold in Nov. the bite takes off. but i can't speak for everyone. i only flyfish the lake so maybe the boaters do better.

Farrier_Frank
09-15-2009, 10:26 PM
I spend as much of the winter as I can fishing Pyramid, but, as was indicated above, October is a hit or miss month. The weather is usually the best in October, but it's Nevada and the weather has a mind of it's own and is always unpredictable, especially the wind. The opener and tournament weekends are the only times I avoid Pyramid because it can get crazy at the launch, and camping at Pelican can be a zoo. The rest of the winter, especially weekdays, you can often have the lake to yourself.

We will bring one of our smaller boats (probably the 14 ft Klamath) so we do not have to launch at Pelican amongst the crowd.

If you have a 4x4 that's a good idea as there are several spots near Warrior you can put in and avoid the crowd. Also Popcorn is a good spot to launch a small boat, and you don't need a 4x4 there.

okie
09-15-2009, 11:47 PM
ff if you're goin to be up here after the opener on monday thru thursday let me know and i'll take you out, just need a couple days advance notice

Farrier_Frank
09-16-2009, 12:01 AM
You're on, Bill. I'll give you plenty of notice so maybe you can put together some of your famous meat balls for lunch... and give me a 101 course on kimchi while we're fishing. 8-)

Mr_Ed
09-16-2009, 12:42 AM
As stated above October is not the best, but they are dumb and stupid, not seeing any lures for a while,so that is one good thing on your side.

However if you fly fish , generally this time of year most of the fish are out in deeper waters and this is one reason the boaters score heavy the first part of the season, but shore fish can be had.

Have not pre-scouted so don't know about the jig bite this year......................

Be safe and hope everyone has a great year.

fish_junky
09-16-2009, 01:10 AM
I just checked my fishing log. For the last October opener I fished with Chick on her boat. We landed 6 fish and lost 3. Best depths where 30 and 32 ft. Most productive at Anderson Bay. Firetiger Apex and firetiger 3/4 oz spoon. speed 2.4 mph, water temp at Anderson was 73*.

See'ya at the opener. :)

SuperDave
09-16-2009, 02:33 AM
3 years ago, the October P-Fest averaged 50 - 60 fish days. The last 2 October P-fests have kind of sucked unless you were Fish Junky. ;D

okie
09-16-2009, 03:38 AM
ff, givin me plenty of notice, we'll have meatball sandwiches and kimchi for lunch

Verdeye
09-16-2009, 10:05 AM
I think I'll avoid the opener but will be out there soon after the crowds are gone. October fishing depends to a degree on the previous chub spawn. If there are chub schools the trout will come into shallow water after them. This was the case 3 and 4 years ago and the October bite was amazing as SuperDave said. Good Luck to all!

MontanaN8V
09-16-2009, 10:12 AM
I intend to hammer that lake via kayak this year, so if you guys see a yellow bobber out there, that aint spongebob, it is me! [smiley=spongebob.gif]

okie
09-17-2009, 02:09 PM
was invited by a fellow fisherman today to join him fishin from the bank on opening day, he said they always catch a lot, i'm gonna find out where his secret spot is.

n2trout
09-18-2009, 03:17 AM
3 years ago, the October P-Fest averaged 50 - 60 fish days.* The last 2 October P-fests have kind of sucked unless you were Fish Junky.* *;D
Didnt you land a pair of nice fish over 7lbs. that trip dave?